TRADE THREAD II ~ July 2 - July 8

Texsox

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 11:10 PM)
Gammons reported tonight that the Sox are pushing to acquire Everyday Eddie Guardado.

I saw that and immediately changed my pants. Gammons is a fool, no doubt, but he's usually good with the rumors, right? His baseball smarts don't seem to exist, though.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 11:14 PM)
I saw that and immediately changed my pants.  Gammons is a fool, no doubt, but he's usually good with the rumors, right?  His baseball smarts don't seem to exist, though.

He broke the Carl Everett trade to the Sox the first time around.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 10:16 PM)
He broke the Carl Everett trade to the Sox the first time around.

He also broke the Russ Ortiz to the Sox deal, er...wait a sec. I'm sure Kenny is going after him, he wants to make an impact move if he makes a move at all. We'll see what happens though.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 04:26 AM)
I'm sure Kenny wants to make an impact move if he makes a move at all.  We'll see what happens though.

That is certainly the truth. I also believe the KW gets impact deals done because he is willing to give other teams more in return.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 11:33 PM)
That is certainly the truth.  I also believe the KW gets impact deals done because he is willing to give other teams more in return.

The only two "Prospects" I don't want traded are Chris Young and Bobby Jenks. The rest can be dealt if necessary.

i dont think i want to make a trade, or at least no player on our team deserves to be traded after going through this amazing season till now, i wouldnt mind trading some minor leaguers though

QUOTE(chi-guy2 @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 10:36 PM)
i dont think i want to make a trade, or at least no player on our team deserves to be traded after going through this amazing season till now, i wouldnt mind trading some minor leaguers though

Even Timo!!!

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 11:26 PM)
He also broke the Russ Ortiz to the Sox deal, er...wait a sec.  I'm sure Kenny is going after him, he wants to make an impact move if he makes a move at all.  We'll see what happens though.

Gammons is going to report rumors and stuff he hears through the grapevine. That's part of his job. Not all of which are going to pan out. He also mentioned the Nats as pushing hard from Guardado. He could end up there as well as in Chicago.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 11:23 PM)
Gammons is going to report rumors and stuff he hears through the grapevine.  That's part of his job.  Not all of which are going to pan out.  He also mentioned the Nats as pushing hard from Guardado.  He could end up there as well as in Chicago.

Right. I just won't ever forget when he said the Sox had traded for Ortiz and then it didn't happen. But you're 100 percent right that's his job. I'm not going to bash him for telling rumors he's heard whether they pan out or not.

I can't, for the life of me, understand the idea of bringing in a closer when the team's top three relievers all have ERA's under 2.00. Especially considering the fact you have more pressing concerns: a mentally weak #4 starter, a chronically injured #5 starter, and an offense where only two players are hitting above .270 against RHP (as opposed to having 10 players above .270 --with 8 being above .300-- against LHP).

Sorry to sound like a broken record here, but I'm seriously confused, and at least hoping we set our sights somewhere else.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 11:30 PM)
Ted Lilly had a good game today. The Curve was snappen.

7IP 6H 0R 0ER 2BB 5SO 5.42 ERA

The one thing I will say in Lilly's favor is that if you look at his splits, he's been very solid against the Yankees and Red Sox, two good offenses that we'll see in the 2nd half. Contrast that to Jamie Moyer who gets murdered by both teams and it wouldn't be a very hard choice between the two.

I would not change this team at all. This is the best Sox team I've seen in my 15 years on this planet. They are good enough to win the world series with what they have, so I don't see the reasoning behind trading our future with the present so well intact.

Lilly makes sense to me. I can see the logic the stats tha Juggs has provides us. I think the Sox need somebody who can do long relief for more than a couple of innings. KW has a bunch of set up men or closers. That has worked really well as long as the starting pitching continues to be great. If (when) the Sox are in a play off game, I'd like to have someone who can come in and take over just in case the starter just does not have it that day.

The team is great the way it is. But if there is any way it can be improved, you have to give up some prospects to get it done. Special teams don't come along like this very often.

QUOTE(103 mph screwball @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 01:15 AM)
Lilly makes sense to me.  I can see the logic the stats tha Juggs has provides us.  I think the Sox need somebody who can do long relief for more than a couple of innings.  KW has a bunch of set up men or closers.  That has worked really well as long as the starting pitching continues to be great.  If (when)  the Sox are in a play off game, I'd like to have someone who can come in and take over just in case the starter just does not have it that day. 

The team is great the way it is.  But if there is any way it can be improved, you have to give up some prospects to get it done.  Special teams don't come along like this very often.

If the Sox are in the playoffs, that long reliever will either be Hernandez or Contreras.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 05:34 AM)
Right.  I just won't ever forget when he said the Sox had traded for Ortiz and then it didn't happen.  But you're 100 percent right that's his job.  I'm not going to bash him for telling rumors he's heard whether they pan out or not.

Not to be a Gammons apologist but that was more than just a rumor and KW admitted as much after it fell thru.

IMO which ever AL team gets Guardado will win the AL pennant, I hope to god it's not Boston or NY.

I'd be interested to see what other teams are on Eddie's no trade list. also, that he needs to close in order to get paid, via his incentives. But it looks like his agent is getting ready to sort through the trade offers that are bound to pop up soon

From today's Boston Herald:

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Guardado can nix Sox deal

By Damian Vega

Thursday, July 7, 2005 - Updated: 06:58 AM EST

The agent of Seattle Mariners [stats, schedule] closer Eddie Guardado said he has not heard anything about the 35-year-old reliever being traded.

``We are a little surprised because we thought teams might want him, but as of right now, we haven't heard about any specifics regarding any team,'' Kevin Kohler said yesterday. ``It's still early, though.''

The Red Sox [stats, schedule], who have inquired about Guardado, may run into trouble because they are one of 10 teams on the veteran's no-trade list.

``It's strictly a business decision,'' Kohler said of the no-trade clause. ``It's nothing against the Boston franchise or their fans.''

Guardado's contract is heavily based on attainable incentives that he can only achieve from the closer's role.

``Eddie needs to be pitching to finish games,'' Kohler said. ``Keith Foulke [stats, news] is a legit closer and Eddie has a lot of respect for what he does. That's one of the reasons Boston is on the (no-trade) list.''

All bets may be off, though, with Foulke going on the disabled list and Curt Schilling [stats, news] designated to replace him. Foulke is expected to be out 4-6 weeks after undergoing arthroscopic surgery on his left knee today.

Guardado has converted 20-of-21 save opportunities this year.

This sounds like Gaurdado might prefer Boston, now, than the White Sox. With Foulke DL'ed and ineffective, he'd get more save opportunities than he probably would with Hermanson around here converting 95% of his save opps.

I wouldn't touch Everyday Eddie with a 10 foot pole. He has a frayed labrum and is close to an extended stay on the DL after major surgery to repair it.

Jim Parque was the last person with a frayed labrum...and what did he lose...like 8mph from all of his pitches after it was reconstructed?

No thanks...Guardado guarschmado.

:D

For all its offense, Boston may not have an ace or a closer, what with Curt Schilling and Keith Foulke in limbo. The New York Yankees have turned soft — since when does owner George Steinbrenner congratulate his third-place team after a birthday victory? The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim have three more words in their name than quality starters. Does Minnesota still have a team?

If ever there were a time for White Sox general manager Ken Williams to put the pedal to the metal and acquire the one or two pieces it takes to complete the championship puzzle, then the 24 days that remain before the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline are it. Because the South Side may never have a better chance to witness a World Series for the first time in 46 years than the present.

"What may be able to change minds in this city is for us to win it all," said Williams, who knows blood when he smells it. "That's what I care about. I've been in this city for 20 years, so I know what it's all about. For our fans and for us, the big picture is what we look at."

As Chet Coppock reported on Sporting News Radio last Sunday, a Sox investor indicated the team was on the verge of a deal with San Francisco that would send pitcher Jason Schmidt to the South Side, a report another team executive would not deny.

If healthy — and that's a big if — Schmidt would join Mark Buehrle, Jon Garland and Freddy Garcia in the deepest rotation in the big leagues. "I want a top-of-line starter," K-Will said. "You know me better than to want anything less than that."

Indications are that Schmidt or any other newly acquired fourth starter would also pitch out of the bullpen in the postseason.

(Remember what starter-turned-reliever Josh Beckett did for Florida against the Cubs in Game 7 of the NLCS two years ago? Then in the World Series, Beckett started Game 6 and threw a two-hit shutout against the Yankees as the Marlins clinched the title.)

The deal could be expanded to include shortstop Omar Vizquel, who, like Sox manager Ozzie Guillen, is a Venezuela native. Vizquel wasn't yet available, according to a team source, but that could change if and when the fourth-place Giants decide to call it a season before the end of the month.

"I prefer to fly stealth," was all Williams would say Wednesday about the trade speculation.

The Sox had Vizquel at the top of their wish list last winter, only to have the Giants step in with a better offer. Shortstop Juan Uribe has been a disappointment thus far, while Omar the Playmaker remains as consistent as ever at 38.

Indeed, Sox Nation should have complete faith in whatever Williams does in the next three weeks, because the guy has turned chopped steak into filet mignon for two years now.

Start with free-agent pitcher Shingo Takatsu, who was signed for a mere $1 million. All he did was save 19 games. After a couple of down months this season, Takatsu appears to have his frisbee back in order again. Garcia was acquired in return for catcher Miguel Olivo and outfielder Jeremy Reed, a pair of prospects. Reed turned out to be a keeper, but Garcia would be the staff ace on almost any other team except this one. Esteban Loaiza for Jose Contreras? Call it no worse than a wash.

Last offseason it was more of the same. Free agent A.J. Pierzynski was signed for $2.25 million. What? Two million bucks? For a catcher who is on pace to hit 20-plus homers and calls one of the best games around? Free agent Tadahito Iguchi arrived as a virtual unknown. Now Iguchi rates one of the best second baseman in the AL, a $2.3 million bargain. Yet another free-agent steal, pitcher Dustin Hermanson, has converted 21 of 22 save opportunities at last check. Not bad for $2 million, huh?

Then there's outfielder Jermaine Dye, whose $4 million salary is one-third that of Magglio Ordonez, the guy he replaced. The critics who screamed that Ordonez should be re-signed at all costs have been very quiet lately.

The only significant move that can be even remotely questioned is the one that sent slugger Carlos Lee to Milwaukee in return for outfielder Scott Podsednik and pitcher Luis Vizcaino. Yet, as dominant as Lee has been for the Brewers, Podsednik has been hell on wheels, a symbol of the speed-and-defense makeover that took place last winter. Where would the Sox be without Sco-Po to wreak havoc at the top of the order?

That K-Will has pulled this off on a $75 million payroll tells me he's misplaced as a baseball general manager. The guy should be in charge of the national budget.

Yet for all his success, Williams finds himself in a prickly situation at the moment. His team has a fairly comfortable 10½-game lead in the AL Central, not to mention the best record in the bigs. But while Williams keeps one eye on the next pitch, he has to focus the other on the postseason.

Problem is, as much as Williams wants to tweak the roster, he has to be careful not to disrupt team chemistry, which ranks on the short list of reasons for team success this season.

For instance, the Sox could make a pitch for Cincinnati center fielder Ken Griffey Jr., who at last check was on a pace for 30 home runs and 100-plus RBI and appears to be over his injury problems. Griffey is a left-handed swinger and has loads of postseason experience, both of which the Sox lack.

But if you acquire Griffey, what do you tell Aaron Rowand, a guy who has run through the wall for you the last three seasons?

Well, it's like this, Aaron: We really do appreciate all you've done for us, but we have a chance to acquire a future Hall of Famer who can make us better. So why don't you grab some bench for a while?

"We have to be careful here, but nothing will change the fact that we've set our sights on the playoffs," K-Will said. "If we're fortunate enough to get there, then we'll focus on even greater things."

It's time for Ken Williams to work some more of his magic.

QUOTE(Winnin Ugly @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 07:06 AM)
For all its offense, Boston may not have an ace or a closer, what with Curt Schilling and Keith Foulke in limbo. The New York Yankees have turned soft — since when does owner George Steinbrenner congratulate his third-place team after a birthday victory? The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim have three more words in their name than quality starters. Does Minnesota still have a team?

If ever there were a time for White Sox general manager Ken Williams to put the pedal to the metal and acquire the one or two pieces it takes to complete the championship puzzle, then the 24 days that remain before the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline are it. Because the South Side may never have a better chance to witness a World Series for the first time in 46 years than the present.

"What may be able to change minds in this city is for us to win it all," said Williams, who knows blood when he smells it. "That's what I care about. I've been in this city for 20 years, so I know what it's all about. For our fans and for us, the big picture is what we look at."

As Chet Coppock reported on Sporting News Radio last Sunday, a Sox investor indicated the team was on the verge of a deal with San Francisco that would send pitcher Jason Schmidt to the South Side, a report another team executive would not deny.

If healthy — and that's a big if — Schmidt would join Mark Buehrle, Jon Garland and Freddy Garcia in the deepest rotation in the big leagues. "I want a top-of-line starter," K-Will said. "You know me better than to want anything less than that."

Indications are that Schmidt or any other newly acquired fourth starter would also pitch out of the bullpen in the postseason.

(Remember what starter-turned-reliever Josh Beckett did for Florida against the Cubs in Game 7 of the NLCS two years ago? Then in the World Series, Beckett started Game 6 and threw a two-hit shutout against the Yankees as the Marlins clinched the title.)

The deal could be expanded to include shortstop Omar Vizquel, who, like Sox manager Ozzie Guillen, is a Venezuela native. Vizquel wasn't yet available, according to a team source, but that could change if and when the fourth-place Giants decide to call it a season before the end of the month.

"I prefer to fly stealth," was all Williams would say Wednesday about the trade speculation.

The Sox had Vizquel at the top of their wish list last winter, only to have the Giants step in with a better offer. Shortstop Juan Uribe has been a disappointment thus far, while Omar the Playmaker remains as consistent as ever at 38.

Indeed, Sox Nation should have complete faith in whatever Williams does in the next three weeks, because the guy has turned chopped steak into filet mignon for two years now.

Start with free-agent pitcher Shingo Takatsu, who was signed for a mere $1 million. All he did was save 19 games. After a couple of down months this season, Takatsu appears to have his frisbee back in order again. Garcia was acquired in return for catcher Miguel Olivo and outfielder Jeremy Reed, a pair of prospects. Reed turned out to be a keeper, but Garcia would be the staff ace on almost any other team except this one. Esteban Loaiza for Jose Contreras? Call it no worse than a wash.

Last offseason it was more of the same. Free agent A.J. Pierzynski was signed for $2.25 million. What? Two million bucks? For a catcher who is on pace to hit 20-plus homers and calls one of the best games around? Free agent Tadahito Iguchi arrived as a virtual unknown. Now Iguchi rates one of the best second baseman in the AL, a $2.3 million bargain. Yet another free-agent steal, pitcher Dustin Hermanson, has converted 21 of 22 save opportunities at last check. Not bad for $2 million, huh?

Then there's outfielder Jermaine Dye, whose $4 million salary is one-third that of Magglio Ordonez, the guy he replaced. The critics who screamed that Ordonez should be re-signed at all costs have been very quiet lately.

The only significant move that can be even remotely questioned is the one that sent slugger Carlos Lee to Milwaukee in return for outfielder Scott Podsednik and pitcher Luis Vizcaino. Yet, as dominant as Lee has been for the Brewers, Podsednik has been hell on wheels, a symbol of the speed-and-defense makeover that took place last winter. Where would the Sox be without Sco-Po to wreak havoc at the top of the order?

That K-Will has pulled this off on a $75 million payroll tells me he's misplaced as a baseball general manager. The guy should be in charge of the national budget.

Yet for all his success, Williams finds himself in a prickly situation at the moment. His team has a fairly comfortable 10½-game lead in the AL Central, not to mention the best record in the bigs. But while Williams keeps one eye on the next pitch, he has to focus the other on the postseason.

Problem is, as much as Williams wants to tweak the roster, he has to be careful not to disrupt team chemistry, which ranks on the short list of reasons for team success this season.

For instance, the Sox could make a pitch for Cincinnati center fielder Ken Griffey Jr., who at last check was on a pace for 30 home runs and 100-plus RBI and appears to be over his injury problems. Griffey is a left-handed swinger and has loads of postseason experience, both of which the Sox lack.

But if you acquire Griffey, what do you tell Aaron Rowand, a guy who has run through the wall for you the last three seasons?

Well, it's like this, Aaron: We really do appreciate all you've done for us, but we have a chance to acquire a future Hall of Famer who can make us better. So why don't you grab some bench for a while?

"We have to be careful here, but nothing will change the fact that we've set our sights on the playoffs," K-Will said. "If we're fortunate enough to get there, then we'll focus on even greater things."

It's time for Ken Williams to work some more of his magic.

whats that from?

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 12:23 AM)
Gammons is going to report rumors and stuff he hears through the grapevine.  That's part of his job.  Not all of which are going to pan out.  He also mentioned the Nats as pushing hard from Guardado.  He could end up there as well as in Chicago.

Also to Jim H's point Gammons also said alot of teams are looking at Vasquez including Baltimore. He did not mention the sox as a team looking at him.

Guest JimH
Also to Jim H's point Gammons also said alot of teams are looking at Vasquez including Baltimore. He did not mention the sox as a team looking at him.

Everybody is looking at everybody, it's the nature of major league baseball two weeks before the trading deadline.

I agree with you, I think the Giants thing still has legs, and I also believe KW has Plan B (and maybe even C, D, and E) in place.