Shingo????

sin city sox fan

All the talk has recently focused on bigger fish such as Burnett, Griffey, Wagner, etc.....however, the 10 days to deal Takatsu expires in just 48 hours. Has anyone heard if we'll be able to get anything for him? I'm not expecting major returns (unless he's part of a package deal).....however, I truly hope we don't just end up releasing him and getting nothing. I think he'd still have some value to several organizations around the league.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 10:25 AM)
I've got to believe KW is holding onto Shingo in a potential Giants deal or Florida or something else we don't know about.  I would think it wouldn't be hard to just dump Shingo for a spect if KW really wanted to do that.

If thats the case, we can't wait to the deadline on Sunday. Shingo's 10 days will be up on Thursday and he'll become a free agent. I guess the longer he stays with us.....the better chance they'll be a big move on on the 28th???

QUOTE(sin city sox fan @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 10:29 AM)
If thats the case, we can't wait to the deadline on Sunday.  Shingo's 10 days will be up on Thursday and he'll become a free agent.  I guess the longer he stays with us.....the better chance they'll be a big move on on the 28th???

Perhaps...I think it's just a case of KW holding onto another bargaining chip for as long as he can. If a larger deal with Shingo doesn't happen by the Thursday deadline, I'm sure KW has some other backup plan. Perhaps shipping Shingo to ARZ for a spect...

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 12:06 PM)
We are trying.  No one wants to give us anything or Takatsu would already be gone.

right because everyone wants Mesa and Baez. I believe that if this deal for Burnett happens than KW will probably talk to shingo and say "look homey, we just traded marte to the marlins and we need another reliever, if you report to charlotte than baring something very surprising happening you have a 99% chance to be called up very soon."

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 12:53 PM)
right because everyone wants Mesa and Baez.  I believe that if this deal for Burnett happens than KW will probably talk to shingo and say "look homey, we just traded marte to the marlins and we need another reliever, if you report to charlotte than baring something very surprising happening you have a 99% chance to be called up very soon."

Shingo is not a replacement for Marte.

IMO you have seen Shingo pitch in a White Sox uni for the last time.

Why trade for Shingo when you can get him for free in 48 hours?

When a team just completely dumps a player who does not have a Boone like salary, it is a strong signal to other teams that the player is worthless.

Its sad but Shingo is probably gone forever.

SB

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 05:53 PM)
right because everyone wants Mesa and Baez.  I believe that if this deal for Burnett happens than KW will probably talk to shingo and say "look homey, we just traded marte to the marlins and we need another reliever, if you report to charlotte than baring something very surprising happening you have a 99% chance to be called up very soon."

Would KW really call Shingo Homey?

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 01:09 PM)
Shingo is not a replacement for Marte.

IMO you have seen Shingo pitch in a White Sox uni for the last time.

Contrary to Ozzie's and most peoples beliefs Shingo can get leftys out. They actually only hit .233 against him. IMHO Ozzie really screwed with Shingo's confidence with how he used him after the cleveland game.

Contrary to Ozzie's and most peoples beliefs Shingo can get leftys out.  They actually only hit .233 against him.  IMHO Ozzie really screwed with Shingo's confidence with how he used him after the cleveland game.

Sure Josh, whatever you say.

It's everybody else's fault but Shingo's.

Why then, pray tell, is no one willing to throw even a marginal prospect the Sox way to ensure they don't lose him to anyone else? Step away from your computer, go out and get some fresh air, and think about it.

I was listening to the radio the other day and Levine said according to KW, Shingo most likely will not be traded. They are trying to convince him to report to Charlotte, but believe he will elect to become a free agent.

If he does that he's just hurting himself. By reporting to Charlotte he's got another month to prove himself. If he puts up solid numbers in Aug down there he's sure to get called up when the rosters expand. That will give him a chance to compete for a playoff spot on the roster. All of which will greatly enhance his FA value over what he can get now.

If he does elect to become a FA (refusing assignment) he forfeits the $.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 06:07 PM)
If he does that he's just hurting himself.  By reporting to Charlotte he's got another month to prove himself.  If he puts up solid numbers in Aug down there he's sure to get called up when the rosters expand.  That will give him a chance to compete for a playoff spot on the roster.  All of which will greatly enhance his FA value over what he can get now. 

If he does elect to become a FA (refusing assignment) he forfeits the $.

I though playoff rosters has to be set by Aug 31 except for DL players that can be added before the start of the playoffs?

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 04:46 PM)
Sure Josh, whatever you say.

It's everybody else's fault but Shingo's.

Why then, pray tell, is no one willing to throw even a marginal prospect the Sox way to ensure they don't lose him to anyone else?  Step away from your computer, go out and get some fresh air, and think about it.

ok no Shingo did not pitch well at the begining however he needed to have a chance to work himself out of it. Ozzie gave every opportunity to Koch to get himself to keep the closers role. This is a quote that is perfect about it. It's from Yahoo.
News

Rumors swirled Monday that the Diamondbacks were close to a deal for reliever Shingo Takatsu, who was designated for assignment by the White Sox on Monday, but nothing appears imminent, according to MLB.com.

Views

A change of scenery wouldn't be the worse thing for Takatsu. Manager Ozzie Guillen played head games with him early this year when he was closer one night and the water boy the next. If he gets dealt to the NL, those of you in that format should try to attain him. By no means is the closing situation in Arizona permanent, and Takatsu could steal a few saves.

Edited by White Sox Josh

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 06:40 PM)
ok no Shingo did not pitch well at the begining however he needed to have a chance to work himself out of it.  Ozzie gave every opportunity to Koch to get himself to keep the closers role.  This is a quote that is perfect about it.  It's from Yahoo.

Its okay Josh, you can move along. Let Shingo go. Its okay. You can let him go.

ok no Shingo did not pitch well at the begining however he needed to have a chance to work himself out of it.  Ozzie gave every opportunity to Koch to get himself to keep the closers role.  This is a quote that is perfect about it.  It's from Yahoo.

Josh ... I did not know if something was quoted on a Yahoo sports board, it's gospel.

Manager Ozzie Guillen played head games with him early this year when he was closer one night and the water boy the next.

That's total bulls***. Shingo closed 6 or 7 games after the Cleveland debacle, which was his worst appearance. It was a gradual change by Ozzie as Shingo continually failed to the job.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 04:17 AM)
That's total bulls***.  Shingo closed 6 or 7 games after the Cleveland debacle, which was his worst appearance.  It was a gradual change by Ozzie as Shingo continually failed to the job.

Shingo had quite a few games where he looked awful. I remember at least one game, against Seattle, where Hermanson had to come in and bail him out. One of the best moves Ozzie has made all year was changing who the closer was, before the big blowout took place against Shingo. Last year, Ozzie stuck with Koch, even when he looked awful closing out games (remember those awful games at Baltimore he barely hung on to). I love to see a manager who's proactive, rather than reactive.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 11:20 PM)
Shingo had quite a few games where he looked awful.  I remember at least one game, against Seattle, where Hermanson had to come in and bail him out.  One of the best moves Ozzie has made all year was changing who the closer was, before the big blowout took place against Shingo.  Last year, Ozzie stuck with Koch, even when he looked awful closing out games (remember those awful games at Baltimore he barely hung on to).  I love to see a manager who's proactive, rather than reactive.

Total agreement on this one. Ozzie played it right, and to blame Ozzie's decisions for Shingo's failure is asinine. Rememebr how that one blown Koch save in Oakland affected the team? Why have the same type of thing happen this year? Hell, if Shingo would have blown two more save, we might be 10 games worse off in the standings.