September 1st callups

CSF

Maybe all hope isn't lost on Baj having a 2nd go round with the Sox in September.

On their way

General manager Ken Williams and manager Ozzie Guillen discussed the potential Sept. 1 call-ups, although Guillen stressed that their decisions aren't final.

In addition to pitcher Brandon McCarthy, infielder Willie Harris and first baseman Ross Gload, the Sox also are considering catchers Raul Casanova and Jamie Burke, outfielder Joe Borchard and reliever Jeff Bajenaru.

Borchard hit his 27th home run Friday in Triple-A Charlotte's 5-3 win over Norfolk, with Bajenaru getting his 19th save.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone answer this for me -- is there a downside to bringing up a bunch of players, say, closer to ten rather than only like three guys?

The way I see it, the following guys, it can be argued, deserve a shot to help the team in September...

Jamie Burke - He produced in his time last year, and he's decently at Charlotte. He'd just give Ozzie more flexibility w/r/t pinch running for the catcher late in a game. Only problem is that he isn't on the 40-man.

Willie Harris - He's still the best defensive secondbaseman we have, and he's damn good at stealing bases, too.

Ross Gload - I'll keep this short. He should be up on the team now, and it's a damn shame that he isn't. He's got something like an 1.100 OPS at Charlotte. There's no reason that he shouldn't be on the playoff roster.

Brandon McCarthy - Dominant second half, spot starter/swingman.

Jeff Baj - Dominating again at Charlotte, clearly better than his competition.

Felix Diaz/Arnie Munoz - Moreso Munoz, 'cause he's lefty and he's doing much better this season, but both could be swingmen type, innings eaters in blowouts. And, unlike Jon Adkins, they've both had success in the past.

I'm sure I'm missing someone. Borchard might get a shot.

But -- is there a downside to having 32-35 guys on the roster rather than 28-29 that I'm not seeing...?

Edited by CWSGuy406

I posted this in PHT also ...

Guillen and Williams had their scheduled meeting Friday, discussing who will likely be called up Thursday when rosters can be expanded to 40 players.

Guillen hinted those bound for the big-league squad Thursday will likely include infielders Ross Gload and Willie Harris, outfielder Joe Borchard and reliever Jeff Bajenaru. Also likely to be called up is a third catcher, either Jamie Burke and Raul Casanova.

In a move unrelated to the expanded roster, rookie pitcher Brandon McCarthy will be called up to start in Game 2 of Tuesday's doubleheader at Texas, the skipper reiterated.

Baj, I hope you get the good word. Best of luck to you once you do.

Yes there is a downside to bringing up too many players. Extra players crowd the clubhouse, can change the team chemistry, makes the regulars change their routines because they have to fit all the guys into BP, bullpen sessions, etc.

Having a bunch of extra players around can be disruptive in many ways.

Players who deserve a call-up:

Borchard, Burke, Bajenaru

Players who will be called up in addition to thse guys IMO:

Harris, McCarthy, Anderson (if he is sent down when Pods is back for a day or so)

I hope we also dump Adkins

QUOTE(Bullard @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 12:22 AM)
Offical Call ups

Sept. 1

Gload

Casanova

Sanders

Sept. 5

Anderson

Baj

Thats all i know for sure

PS

I have an MRI Friday or Saturday.  I might need tommy john.  Pray for me! Thanks

Bull

Thanks for the info Bull! Good luck on that MRI! :pray

QUOTE(Bullard @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 10:22 PM)
Offical Call ups

Sept. 1

Gload

Casanova

Sanders

Sept. 5

Anderson

Baj

PS

I have an MRI Friday or Saturday.  I might need tommy john.  Pray for me! Thanks

Bull

Good luck bull, hopefully it's nothing serious :pray

QUOTE(Bullard @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 11:22 PM)
Offical Call ups

Sept. 1

Gload

Casanova

Sanders

Sept. 5

Anderson

Baj

PS

Bull

Great info Bull, I hope your MRI comes up clean :pray

QUOTE(Bullard @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 10:22 PM)
Offical Call ups

Sept. 1

Gload

Casanova

Sanders

Sept. 5

Anderson

Baj

PS

Bull

Dissapointed with the lack of Borchard...

Good luck man, hope everything goes well!

PS

Bull

Damn Jim, that sucks. Is it a continuation of the problems from earlier this year, or something new? Regardless, congrats on gutting this season out. It was great to see you moved up to AAA and gets some chances at starting. And best of all, now you are only one step away from the big time :cheers

Good luck on the MRI Bull!

Offical Call ups

Sept. 1

Gload

Casanova

Sanders

Sept. 5

Anderson

Baj

PS

Bull

Does that mean that you'll throw harder after the surgery???

Seriously Bully, I hope to see you in a Pale Hose uni soon. We're rooting and praying for you..... :cheers