Sox vs. Royals 9-7-05

Capn12

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 10:12 PM)
What is this problem of which you speak? We have the second best bullpen ERA in the league and the best save % in the league. Ozzie makes some dumb moves from time to time, but with numbers like those, he's doing something right.

It's called having really good pitching

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(knightni @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 09:15 PM)
True.

Even the blind pig can find the truffle sometimes.

But that's what I'm saying. If he was making tons of guys and putting people in situations where they didn't succeed, we wouldn't have the best save percentage in the league. So while he's made some dumb moves, most of them have worked out.

You don't have hte lowest blown save percentage by getting lucky.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 09:16 PM)
He's done similar things against the Yankees, Red Sox, and Angels this year, and Marte needed to be bailed out by another reliever or the Sox offense in the next inning.

Marte stuck out Ortiz in a big spot the toher day. I'm not excusing Marte, and I'd go with Cotts, but just saying.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 03:17 AM)
But that's what I'm saying. If he was making tons of guys and putting people in situations where they didn't succeed, we wouldn't have the best save percentage in the league. So while he's made some dumb moves, most of them have worked out.

You have the best save percentage because of one thing: Dustin Hermanson! Thus, if it's a save situation, put his ass in the game. If you're going to warm him up with his back problem, put him in the game.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 09:18 PM)
You have the best save percentage because of one thing:  Dustin Hermanson!  Thus, if it's a save situation, put his ass in the game.  If you're going to warm him up with his back problem, put him in the game.

BS can come in the 8th too i think.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 11:17 PM)

Yes, but the fact remains...

Ozzie's still a blind pig in that analogy.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 10:12 PM)
What is this problem of which you speak? We have the second best bullpen ERA in the league and the best save % in the league. Ozzie makes some dumb moves from time to time, but with numbers like those, he's doing something right.

Thinking because you can throw the ball with your left hand you can automatically get out left handed batters at a high rate. Why do you think walker was ever on this team? Because of his over whelming skill? He takes out jenks tonight and brings in marte who has been obliterated against lefties... jenks has done very well against them... sure it's a small sample size. But that is something ozzie does daily. Jason is my witness that i was b****ing at ozzie for bringing in marte at that particular time ( he was pissed too). If you really cannot recall all of his miscues i can go through game logs and refresh your memory.

Just because we have the second best bullpen era in the league and the best save percentage doesn't mean he gets a free pass and doesn't mean that the players have picked him up [/i]alot.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 11:20 PM)
oh forget it. I'm not gonna change anyones mind. Ozzie sucks. blah blah blah.

He is a decent and inexperienced manager who has a lot to learn still about strategy and handling players.

I never said that he sucks.

Edited by knightni

QUOTE(qwerty @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 09:20 PM)
Thinking because you can throw the ball with your left hand you can automatically get out left handed batters at a high rate. Why do you think walker was ever on this team? Because of his over whelming skill? He takes out jenks tonight and brings in marte who has been obliterated against lefties... jenks has done very well against them... sure it's a small sample size. But that is something ozzie does daily. Jason is my witness that i was b****ing at ozzie for bringing in marte at that particular time ( he was pissed too). If you really cannot recall all of his miscues i can go through game logs and refresh your memory.

Just because we have the second best bullpen era in the league and the best save percentage doesn't mean he gets a free pass and doesn't mean that the players have picked him up [/i]alot.

Bringing in Marte was dumb. He's gotten saved by good pitching at the end a lot, but I think he keeps people in the rolls they are in because thats what he's done all year to have the best record in baseball.

But he does do some dumb things. And he definately errs on the side of veterans, which is why Marte keeps trucking out there while Cotts has been awesome. Doubt that will happen anymore though.

Just saw a replay of the game after Marte plunked Stairs. Looks like Ozzie really let him have it. Seems like he is trying to get Marte to grow some balls and pitch to lefties better again.

See, this is why I love Ozzie. His personality is why we are so many games over .500.

It's easy to second guess moves. He manages the guys KW gives him. If KW doesn't want Marte in the game, get rid of Marte.

I personally dislike Viz the most of our pen. Marte has talent; he's just sucking.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 10:23 PM)
Just saw a replay of the game after Marte plunked Stairs. Looks like Ozzie really let him have it. Seems like he is trying to get Marte to grow some balls and pitch to lefties better again.

See, this is why I love Ozzie. His personality is why we are so many games over .500.

It's easy to second guess moves. He manages the guys KW gives him. If KW doesn't want Marte in the game, get rid of Marte.

I personally dislike Viz the most of our pen. Marte has talent; he's just sucking.

Kenny's put together one of the best bullpen's in baseball, if ozzie puts in our worst pitcher in 9th(and yes, right now he's worse then viz) then that's his fault and ONLY his fault.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 04:36 AM)
So how about Contreras!! He's awesome!!! A true ace in the making. If I were OG i would consider him as one of the playoff starters.

yeah he really worked himself out of trouble a lot

it was funny as s*** to listen to kc...their announcers basically sounded like this

"oH god please for christs sakes score some runs!"

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 12:36 AM)
So how about Contreras!! He's awesome!!! A true ace in the making. If I were OG i would consider him as one of the playoff starters.

The 5 walks bother me. Thats what the old Contreras would do to get in tons of trouble.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 11:23 PM)

Exactly. He's trying to get Marte's head on straight before the playoffs, just in case we need him in a big spot. Why the hell not do it now? May not have time to accomplish it after we clinch.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 09:56 PM)
Pm me what you were gonna say if you can...

I am sick of it. You can't back up marte here and you also cannot call ozzie a bad manager? You cannot second guess ozzie or even question a move of his before it's done without getting smartass remarks from his backers ( sox best record in american league... hehe). Give me a break. He is a borderline awful in game manager... but i know... the sox are winning.

For the record, I didn't see a damn thing wrong with your post. Just my opinion.