A little magic

Harry Chappas

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 11:08 AM)
If we tie with Cleveland for the division/wildcard, then we actually take the division title by virtue of head to head record.

If there is a tie, a tie breaker would be played in Cleveland Monday. They won the coin flip. Head to head doesn't matter. The thing that would really suck would be if the Sox and Cleveland finished with the same record as the 2nd place team in the East, although I'm not sure that's possible. The Sox and Cleveland would be playing for their playoff lives, because a loss is considered a regular season game and they would be a half game out of the wild card.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 11:14 AM)
If there is a tie, a tie breaker would be played in Cleveland Monday. They won the coin flip. Head to head doesn't matter. The thing that would really suck would be if the Sox and Cleveland finished with the same record as the 2nd place team in the East, although I'm not sure that's possible. The Sox and Cleveland would be playing for their playoff lives, because a loss is considered a regular season game and they would be a half game out of the wild card.

If the Sox and Tribe end up tied AND have a better record than the second place team in the ALE THEN H2H records matter. The Sox will automatically be named division champs.

If the Sox, Tribe and second place team in the ALE all end up tied, there will be a playoff between the 3 teams. Sox and Tribe would play each other and the loser would play Bos/NY for the WC.

Edited by Iwritecode

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 12:25 PM)
If the Sox and Tribe end up tied AND have a better record than the second place team in the ALE THEN H2H records matter.

The Sox will automatically be named division champs.

That's actually what I was trying to say, I guess I wasn't very clear about it. :bang

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 11:25 AM)
If the Sox and Tribe end up tied AND have a better record than the second place team in the ALE THEN H2H records matter. The Sox will automatically be named division champs.

If the Sox, Tribe and second place team in the ALE all end up tied, there will be a playoff between the 3 teams. Sox and Tribe would play each other and the loser would play Bos/NY for the WC.

They must have changed it in recent years. So basically if the Sox win their next 2 and Cleveland loses 1 more against TB, its over.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 11:36 AM)
They must have changed it in recent years. So basically if the Sox win their next 2 and Cleveland loses 1 more against TB, its over.

Ding ding ding

3-2 record the rest of the way and it is done. We could lose 2nd round home field but that is it. A loss by any of the other three tonight and/or tomorrow make it easier.