Top 5 plays of the regular season

fathom

5) Live from New York, it's the Aaron Rowand show. If the Yankees could've pronounced his name, Rowand (known as "Roland" by most of the Yankees) would've made a name for himself with his glove.

4) Jon Garland, Staff Ace. There was a time when this wasn't a ludicrous suggestion. To me, it was right after he made the consecutive starts against the Orioles and Rangers in which he struck out two of the most dangerous hitters in the AL in Tejada and Soriano, both on 3-2 counts, both with runners on first and third, and both while protecting a 3-2 lead to get out of his 7th and final inning of each start.

3) "And the White Sox lead it..." The amazing streak to start the season in which the White Sox held the lead in 48 consecutive games. No one has ever done it to start the season, and only the 98 Yankees had a longer run of leading games.

2) "AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER! A WALK OFF HOMER BY..." Okay, I'm going to cheat here. How can you top A.J. Pierzynski's June 18th walk off job against the Dodgers? You can't, but Joe Crede's solo shot in the bottom of the 10th on September 20th to give the Sox a 7-6 win over the Tribe tied it. Two great, jubilation producing homers that all of White Sox nation enjoyed.

1) "2005 AL Central champions...YEEEEEEEEES!" Nothing the Sox have done thus far tops taking down the division that critics and doubters were starting to believe the Sox couldn't win. Congratulations to the 2005 AL Central champions. Here's hoping for 14 more wins! :gosox3:

How about off the field? I think 2005 was really a breakout year in the booth for a young aspiring play by play announcer. It's been a while since we've heard it but...

:uhoh

My favorite moment is the AJ walkoff because I was there.

Other top moments are our four game road sweeps at Baltimore and Cleveland. I don't care how bad the teams were at the time, winning four in a row in anyone's ballpark is no small task.

In no order:

1) Second game of the season against Cleveland when we scored 4 in the bottom of the 9th to win 4-3.

2) May 30th against the Angels. Bullpen blows it in the top of the 9th, but the offense scores 2 runs in the bottom of the 9th to win the game 5-4.

3) June 12 against the Padres. Rowand's huge hr off of Trevor Hoffman.

4) June 15 against the Diamondbacks. The Sox are down 6-1 in the 6th then go on to explode for a season high 10 runs that same inning to avoid a sweep and beat the D-backs 12-6.

5) June 18 against the Dodgers. The Sox score 4 runs in the bottom of the 9th to beat the Dodgers 5-3.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Sep 30, 2005 -> 12:29 AM)
4) June 15 against the Diamondbacks.  The Sox are down 6-1 in the 6th then go on to explode for a season high 10 runs that same inning to avoid a sweep and beat the D-backs 12-6.

More importantly, the birth of the rally mojo.

Aaron Rowand in San Diego made a few big plays. The 3 run HR off Hoffman in the 10th, and that diving catch he made to save Garland or Politte's ass, can't remember 100%.

Joe Crede's HR against Cleveland ended up being crucial as well in the standings side of things.

Even though it was a long time ago the Garland pitch to Tejada is still my favorite moment of the season. He threw him a change up inside and tejada totally missed it.

Also I dont care if it was last season I still remember the Loaiza Angels game when willie ran over franky rodriguez and Timo hit the game winning hit. :P

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Sep 30, 2005 -> 09:28 AM)
Even though it was a long time ago the Garland pitch to Tejada is still my favorite moment of the season.  He threw him a change up inside and tejada totally missed it.

Also I dont care if it was last season I still remember the Loaiza Angels game when willie ran over franky rodriguez and Timo hit the game winning hit.  :P

the look on garland's face afte rthe strikeout was what made it so special.

Puts his head down, walks back, crowd erupts.

What an awesome moment that was.

As for me, i have an awful memory for these things, so the only one that wasn't already said was the 6/19 game against the dodgers on my birthday. I was in the bleachers and i believe we were down 3-1 or something in the 8th, arow comes through with a clutch bloop single, we pull it out.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Sep 30, 2005 -> 06:50 AM)
Funny how most people pick plays on offense.

I thought Uribe's play at short the other night against the tribe was HUGE.

this is definitely the play of the year! was thinking right along with you on this one. followed up by Arow blasting that HR against Hoffman of SD mainly because I was sitting at that game and had been telling the whole crowd that the game was now over and that Arow was going to end it....& i'll be damned if he didn't. & the dodger game with AJ. to me though this entire season has been exhausting & yes the season is way tooooo lonnnnnngggg. but anyway the thing that impressed me the most this year was the AWESOME defense & no rolling of my eyes going WTF with those stupid ass lead off or late inning walks...or should i say walks all together. the worst part of the season has to be DJ. he is so monotone & flat out boring not to mention he has no previous history as a whitesox guy. thanks to soxtalk.com for cleaning up our own little b****y selfs and enforcing some rules like KW has done now as the Chisox GM! :cheers

more of us and less of them = :headbang

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Sep 30, 2005 -> 07:48 AM)
Darrin Jackson OF

SEASON  TEAM  G  AB  R  H  2B  3B  HR  RBI  TB  BB  SO  SB  CS  OBP  SLG  AVG

1994  Chicago White Sox 104 369 43 115 17 3 10 51 168 27 56 7 1 .362 .455 .312

1999  Chicago White Sox 73 149 22 41 9 1 4 16 64 3 20 4 1 .288 .430 .275

i get your point but that to me is no loyalty. a journeyman at best. look i had lunch with that cat in SD a long time ago. he is a great guy. but to me he didn't say jack about the sox back then so that has always burned me about him. i told him i was a diehard soxfan and he hardly cared. of course at that time he was a padre. but that still doesn't help me with his BORING monotone color? sorry to say that i wouldn't miss him a bit if he were to be replaced.

QUOTE(whitesoxmanager @ Sep 30, 2005 -> 03:20 PM)
i get your point but that to me is no loyalty.  a journeyman at best.  look i had lunch with that cat in SD a long time ago.  he is a great guy.  but to me he didn't say jack about the sox back then so that has always burned me about him.  i told him i was a diehard soxfan and he hardly cared.  of course at that time he was a padre.  but that still doesn't help me with his BORING monotone color?  sorry to say that i wouldn't miss him a bit if he were to be replaced.

Look at it this way... by playing for the sox for 2 seasons and being their announcer now. He has more ties to the team than you or me will ever have.

Without a doubt, the most memorable moment to me of 2005 was AJ's walkoff homer against the Dodgers. Yeah, there were plenty of great moments, but I will always remember that. And dammit: I was at the other two games, but not that one.

Even so, I LEAPT off the couch and SCREAMED when that happened. Amazing. And with the '59 jerseys, too. It was magical.

I will never forget that. And people forget that he pop-fouled on the pitch before and tossed his bat away, thinking he was out for sure. He had to go get the bat back, LMAO!

Classic. Hope that's on the DVD after this year.

QUOTE(SnB @ Sep 30, 2005 -> 09:36 AM)
the look on garland's face afte rthe strikeout was what made it so special.

Puts his head down, walks back, crowd erupts. 

What an awesome moment that was.

As for me, i have an awful memory for these things, so the only one that wasn't already said was the 6/19 game against the dodgers on my birthday.  I was in the bleachers and i believe we were down 3-1 or something in the 8th, arow comes through with a clutch bloop single, we pull it out.

What I remember about the Tejada strikeout, was that after he swung and missed, Tejada looked back at AJ with a shocked looked on his face. When I saw the replay, I realized that AJ said something to Tejada after the K. I bet it was a s*** talking classic, by AJ.

The Sun-Times Top 10 Plays of the Year. They pretty much agree with everything people say here. But also included: The game we beat Rivera and the game in which Buehrle's streak ended.

A season that culminated in an American League Central Division championship was sure to be full of unforgettable moments, and the White Sox spread theirs around pretty evenly in 2005. *While the Sox started the season a respectable 8-4, the sign of what was to come didn't arrive until April 18 in a not-so-attractive victory over the Minnesota Twins. Jose Contreras struggled by throwing 104 pitches in less than five innings, but two Carl Everett home runs were the difference.

After the game, the Sox moved into sole possession of first place in the American League Central and have not had to share the top spot since. The victory was also the start of the first eight-game win streak of the season.

While significant, there were 10 other key victories for the Sox that played a major part in nailing down their first playoff appearance since 2000.

April 4 - SOX 1, INDIANS 0

Mark Buehrle sets the tone for a season that would be so dependent on starting pitching when he defeats the Cleveland Indians on Opening Day with a complete game. The only run scores in the seventh inning when Aaron Rowand's bouncer to shortstop is mis-played by the Indians' Jhonny Peralta. Buehrle is just two weeks removed from a freak ''stress reaction'' that forced him to miss a spring-training start. "That's as good as I've ever seen him,'' Indians manager Eric Wedge said of Buehrle.

April 25 - SOX 6, A'S 0

Jon Garland improves to 4-0 with a four-hit shutout, just the second of his career. The victory gives the Sox their first of three eight-game win streaks in the first half. The Sox opened a five-game division lead with just their third victory at Oakland in the last four seasons. Chris Widger leads the offense with a home run, his first in the major leagues since Aug. 9, 2000, off the Sox' Mike Sirotka.

June 8 - SOX 15, ROCKIES 5

In a rare display of offense, the Sox pounded out 22 hits that were seven more than their previous high. Every Sox starter had a hit, and even Orlando Hernandez and Cliff Politte contributed on offense. Carl Everett and Juan Uribe each had three RBI, while Rowand extended his hit streak to 13 games. Joe Crede and Frank Thomas entered the game late and each crushed a ninth-inning home run over 425 feet.

June 12 - SOX 8, PADRES 5

Rowand's three-run home run in the 10th inning off Trevor Hoffman gives the Sox the victory one day after a difficult loss to the Padres when Dustin Hermanson blew his first save. The day starts with many Sox players experiencing an earthquake centered in the California desert. The Sox twice rally to tie the game, and when Rowand wins it, general manager Ken Williams is seen in a private box with a grin stuck to his face.

June 18 - SOX 5, DODGERS 3

After he nearly fouled out to end the game in defeat, A.J. Pierzynski comes back to deliver a two-out, full-count, two-run home run and what the catcher calls his ''first walk-off anything.'' The Sox barely muster any offense until a four-run rally in the ninth inning. Everett and Rowand deliver RBI hits in the ninth before Pierzynski connects off Yhency Brazoban.

August 1 - SOX 6, ORIOLES 3

It is, perhaps, the most referenced Sox game of the season mainly because it pushes the team's division lead to a season-high 15 games. The game itself was significant. After Pierzynski is hit with a pitch (Tadahito Iguchi was hit earlier in the series), Buehrle plunks B.J. Surhoff. Buehrle is ejected, ending his streak of six-inning starts at 49. He still ends up with the victory. Earlier in the day it is learned Rafael Palmeiro would be suspended for 10 days because of violation of the league's drug policy.

August 10 - SOX 2, YANKEES 1

The Sox manage to pin a defeat on closer Mariano Rivera when Uribe triples in the 10th inning and Scott Podsednik drives him in with a ground ball. After making highlight catches all series, Rowand makes two more tough defensive plays in the outfield and ends up catching the final out on the warning track. Rowand calls it the best defensive series of his career and helps make a name for himself, but Alex Rodriguez refers to him as ''Roland'' afterward.

August 21 - SOX 6, YANKEES 2

Jose Contreras gives up just one earned run over eight innings against his former team to begin an eight-start winning streak. The victory snaps a seven-game losing streak. The Sox get the best of Randy Johnson with three consecutive home runs and four total in the fourth inning. Iguchi, Rowand and Paul Konerko all go deep in succession. Widger adds a three-run homer later in the inning. All four home runs come over a 16-pitch span.

September 5 - SOX 5, RED SOX 3

The Sox have to break up a lengthy homestand by returning to Boston to play a make-up game. Rookie Brandon McCarthy makes it all worthwhile as he outduels Curt Schilling. After losing two games to the Red Sox in August, Fenway Park doesn't feel like such an intimidating place. Konerko and Uribe deliver home runs. In back-to-back starts that gives him the first two victories of his career, McCarthy gives up just five hits in 142/3 innings.

September 20 - SOX 7, INDIANS 6

Crede hits two home runs, including the game winner in the 10th inning. With the Sox' division lead in a free-fall for the last 12 days, they push it back up to 3-1/2 and halt the charging Indians -- for one day, anyway. ''I think it is one of the biggest hits of my career,'' said Crede, who became more productive after a recent trip to the disabled list because of a hairline fracture in his right middle finger. It is the fifth walk-off home run of Crede's career and the 30th in the history of the new ballpark.

5. Mark Buehrle's 1:39 game against Seattle

4. Joe Crede hits a 3 run bomb in the 8th inning to give us a lead - don't remember who we were playing.

3. I didn't even see the game, but AJ over the Dodgers

2. Tadahito Iguchi beats Seattle in extra innings with a dinger (the B.A.>Felix Hernandez game)

1. Joe Crede. Cleveland.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Sep 30, 2005 -> 07:50 AM)
Funny how most people pick plays on offense.

I thought Uribe's play at short the other night against the tribe was HUGE.

Absolutely right on the money! Most people do remember the offensive plays...but forget stellar defensive gems that Uribe, ARow and Crede made to save big innings in one run games. Dye made some outstanding grabs in right as well. Some of these plays were HUGE and saved the day in alot of these games. Good call!