Sox exercise buyout on Thomas' contract

Steff

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 05:36 PM)
Q-

Seriously, tell me honestly, do you think the org would EVER let Ross Gload have a spot on the big league squad?

You keep saying this, and people have asked you whey this is so absolute to you. Seriously, what is the history here that some of us don't know? Is there something other than Gload asking for more playing time? Or him being upset about his own error?

And still:

Gload/Thomas >>> Everett

Gload/Anderson > Everett

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 05:41 PM)
You keep saying this, and people have asked you whey this is so absolute to you.  Seriously, what is the history here that some of us don't know?  Is there something other than Gload asking for more playing time?  Or him being upset about his own error?

And still:

Gload/Thomas >>> Everett

Gload/Anderson > Everett

You are the only one who has asked me. Not "people". Secondly, I know this because I follow this team, and I know that Gload is hated by the org, expecially KW and Ozzie. Its the same reason why they didnt bring him up to play this year, and gave him no chances. They flat out dont like him, anyone who follows this team is privy to this information. Take this post, copy it, learn it.

One mistake that you are making is thinking that I think Ross Gload is no good, or I hate him. IN fact I was calling for him to start this year, I even called for trading Paulie and having Ross be a defensive upgrade as well as an OBP upgrade. I even campaigned for Eric Chavez and Gload to be at the corners. I think he is a great hitter, and I think he COULD start for an org. But KW and Ozzie have made it perfectly clear its not this one.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 10:46 PM)
One mistake that you are making is thinking that I think Ross Gload is no good, or I hate him.  IN fact I was calling for him to start this year, I even called for trading Paulie and having Ross be a defensive upgrade as well as an OBP upgrade.  I even campaigned for Eric Chavez and Gload to be at the corners.  I think he is a great hitter, and I think he COULD start for an org.  But KW and Ozzie have made it perfectly clear its not this one.

Kinda reminds me of the Wunsch situation.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 05:43 PM)
You are the only one who has asked me.  Not "people".  Secondly, I know this because I follow this team, and I know that Gload is hated by the org, expecially KW and Ozzie.  Its the same reason why they didnt bring him up to play this year, and gave him no chances.  They flat out dont like him, anyone who follows this team is privy to this information.  Take this post, copy it, learn it.

Really? Because there are a few people on this very thread who seem to think he'll be on the roster.

You still never answered my question. I've followed the Sox quite a bit, and I recall only a small incident. Therefore, I believe Gload is likely to be on the 2006 roster, unless some big trade or FA moves make him unnecessary.

If you know a specific reason otherwise, please, enlighten me. I really do want to know.

If Thomas is healthy enough to hit (which I hope), I like the idea of Gload spelling him at DH and spelling Konerko (who I also hope is back) at 1B.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 10:47 PM)
Kinda reminds me of the Wunsch situation.

I dunno... I just think the reason that they dislike Gload is because he can only play one spot. Not because they hate the guy.

I don't recall what he said earlier in the year causing such a problem. Wasn't it pretty much along the lines of, "Well, when you don't play very often, you (meaning Ross) have to make that play, and I didn't". I certainly don't think it was meant as an, "I want more PT!" type of thing -- I mean, who was he going to play over? Konerko? He's a smarter guy than that. I think he was just dissappointed in himself, really.

Who knows... I'd really like to see a bench consisting of Harris / Ozuna / Gload / Widger / Anderson (if Rowand isn't traded) -- it'd be a helluva lot better than the 2005 bench.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 05:52 PM)
I dunno...  I just think the reason that they dislike Gload is because he can only play one spot.  Not because they hate the guy.

I don't recall what he said earlier in the year causing such a problem.  Wasn't it pretty much along the lines of, "Well, when you don't play very often, you (meaning Ross) have to make that play, and I didn't".  I certainly don't think it was meant as an, "I want more PT!" type of thing -- I mean, who was he going to play over?  Konerko?  He's a smarter guy than that.  I think he was just dissappointed in himself, really.

Who knows...  I'd really like to see a bench consisting of Harris / Ozuna / Gload / Widger / Anderson (if Rowand isn't traded) -- it'd be a helluva lot better than the 2005 bench.

He has been disliked before that. Not telling anyone about the extent of his injury I think was one, but who knows. its become obvious they dont like him. Your bench looks correct except put Timo in Gload's spot and there you go.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 10:54 PM)
He has been disliked before that.  Not telling anyone about the extent of his injury I think was one, but who knows.  its become obvious they dont like him.  Your bench looks correct except put Timo in Gload's spot and there you go.

Ehh, I dunno if Timo will be back this year. Afterall, 0-for-2 in the playoffs, right? Talk about un-clutch-ness...

Anyways, they couldn't just do that, because they wouldn't have a backup firstbaseman then. Maybe the Burroughs - for - Borchard trade will be revisited?

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 05:52 PM)
Who knows...  I'd really like to see a bench consisting of Harris / Ozuna / Gload / Widger / Anderson (if Rowand isn't traded) -- it'd be a helluva lot better than the 2005 bench.

I like that bench too. Perez is too pricey at a million plus a year (1 mill in 2005) for a backup outfielder of his caliber. And that combo covers all the positions on the field.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 05:56 PM)
Ehh, I dunno if Timo will be back this year.  Afterall, 0-for-2 in the playoffs, right?  Talk about un-clutch-ness...

Anyways, they couldn't just do that, because they wouldn't have a backup firstbaseman then.  Maybe the Burroughs - for - Borchard trade will be revisited?

We didnt really have a backup this year either. It sucks and all, but Im positive thats the way Oz will go.

If it comes down to it, im sure Dye 1B and Anderson RF if Kong needs a day off

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 01:16 PM)
Alright, This would be my ideal plan. This is all based on Konerko going to LAA.

Sign Giles. Overpay if you have to. Its not like were going to sign him to a 6 year deal. Sign him at 3/34 if thats what it takes. We just won the WS. Were still in a good position to be a force. Lets do it now and worry about the future later.

Trade for Overbay. While Delgado would be the better choice, He makes a ton of money, and the Sox im sure dont want to go down that road, especially if they just gave 3/34 to Giles. Give the Brew Crew El Duque, Marte, and a mid level prospect and see what happens. It will probably take more than that, but I think you can land him and still keep this team totally intact.

Sign Eyre/Mike Myers as your other LHRP. Easy deal.

Giles and Dye platoon DH and RF, with Overbay at 1b.

Podsednik-LH

Iguchi-RH

Giles-LH

Dye-RH

Overbay-LH

Rowand-RH

Pierzynski-LH

Crede-RH

Uribe-RH

Pretty good balance in your lineup, the LH and RH combos break everything up.

Mark

Jon

Count

Freddy

Mac

Viz

Hermanson(maybe?)

Pollite

Myers/Eyre

Cotts

Jenks

That is not that far fetched, is it?

The problem I have with this is that Giles has (ahem) shunk over the past two years and I don't see thepower returning. The average and OBP will be there if that's what you are looking for. But if Paulie leaves we need a little power.

Sign Giles and Konerko. Giles brings a little something the White Sox could use even though they won it all. He actually is disciplined at the plate. 119 walks vs. 64 strikeouts this season. 38 doubles. His homers were down but he should get a big bump with a move to USCF. The email I got from my rep mentioned unprecendented season ticket sales going on right now. Bust the budget a little bit. If the pitching is anywhere near what it was this year, adding Giles and getting better performances out of a few others would really make it hard for even ESPN not to give this team respect.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 01:18 PM)
Just to let everyone know, there's less than a 5% chance of Giles leaving the west coast and less than a 1% chance of him ending up with the Sox. I wouldn't include him in any plans for this offseason.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 01:47 PM)
I think the Tribe will pursue Giles as much as any other team will (Cubbies of course) but Giles will end up staying on the West Coast, especially if Kevin Towers is replaced sometime soon with someone more competent.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 05:21 PM)

I read where the Padres took their 3 year $21 million offer to him off the table. They were hoping he would take a paycut. I'm sure if all things were equal he would want to be on the west coast, but if the money is there the White Sox could offer him a realistic chance at the World Series. Pursuing him would be worth KW's time IMO even if he did say no thank you.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 05:24 PM)
I read where the Padres took their 3 year $21 million offer to him off the table. They were hoping he would take a paycut. I'm sure if all things were equal he would want to be on the west coast, but if the money is there the White Sox could offer him a realistic chance at the World Series. Pursuing him would be worth KW's time IMO even if he did say no thank you.

It all depends on when and who replaces Kevin Towers.

I think Frank has a greater chance of coming back if we lose Konerko. For the statmeisters, a one legged Frank had a OPS of .905 last year and still at .995 for career. I don't want to totally discount him. It could be like this year, where he is a greater midseason addition than anyone available in a trade.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 04:27 PM)
Until I see something more specific about why we know for an absolute certainty they don't like Gload, I still remain unconvinced by these points here.

Nothing has been said here that sounds to me any worse than what Marte or El Duque did this year.

I agree. Although I've just been a lurker all through the World Series and since we won it I'm having problems posting anything. Just find it hard as I always do to play GM especially since we won the whole damn enchilada.

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 08:15 PM)
I agree. Although I've just been a lurker all through the World Series and since we won it I'm having problems posting anything. Just find it hard as I always do to play GM especially since we won the whole damn enchilada.

Why were you a lurker? :ph34r: Superstition? Never was a time more enjoyable to post than then.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 05:06 PM)
The problem I have with this is that Giles has (ahem) shunk over the past two years and I don't see thepower returning. The average and OBP will be there if that's what you are looking for. But if Paulie leaves we need a little power.

I still personally see Giles as a .300 30 100 .900 type player as soon as he gets out of the hell hole of a hitters park that is Petco. I think that had a lot to do with his power being down.

The guy had a 1.000 OPS on the road in a division with extreme parks(Petco, Pac Bell(or whatever its called nowadays), and Dodger stadium are all extreme pitchers parks, where as BOB and Coors, especially Coors, are very good hitters parks). I see no reason why Giles can't return to a 25-30 homer form, perhaps more.