JUAN PIERRE

JUGGERNAUT

We all know your track record for hunches :P

I can't remember, are they good or bad??????????

I agree with what Addison said though, it looks like things are aligning for Thome to come here. Delgado is now off the board, and KW is quoted as saying the White Sox have some things in place right now to bring more offense in. Might not mean Thome, but it fits.

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(JimH @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 11:54 AM)
I can't remember, are they good or bad??????????

I agree with what Addison said though, it looks like things are aligning for Thome to come here.  Delgado is now off the board, and KW is quoted as saying the White Sox have some things in place right now to bring more offense in.  Might not mean Thome, but it fits.

Yes it does, lets all hope he can be healthy. More than that though I want Kong signed, both would be a dream. Thome is a much better option at DH than Frank at this point anyway.

You hunches=Levine Carpet bombing ;)

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 11:14 AM)
Yes it does, lets all hope he can be healthy.  More than that though  I want Kong signed, both would be a dream.  Thome is a much better option at DH than Frank at this point anyway.

You hunches=Levine Carpet bombing ;)

He should be. While the surgery was needed and he is still rehabbing his elbow, it was a routine procedure and he shouldn't have any difficulty coming back without limitations.

He should be. While the surgery was needed and he is still rehabbing his elbow, it was a routine procedure and he shouldn't have any difficulty coming back without limitations.

I read some stories on the Phillies site where it said he only experienced pain while throwing, not hitting. Although that .207 average he was sporting might suggest otherwise.

QUOTE(JimH @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 10:31 AM)
I read some stories on the Phillies site where it said he only experienced pain while throwing, not hitting.  Although that .207 average he was sporting might suggest otherwise.

Stretching my memory a bit...I thought the concern with his hitting was somehow due to his back? At least that's what the media was telling me early in the year.

QUOTE(WinninUgly @ Nov 22, 2005 -> 07:38 PM)
From a stats comparison, Pierre did only have 45 K's in 656 AB's which is really good.  Compare that to 116 out of 578 AB's for Rowand. 

Other stats:

SB's  - Pierre 57, Rowand 16

HR's  - Rowand 13, Pierre 2

3B's  - Pierre 13, Rowand 5

2B's  - Rowand 30, Pierre 19

SLG  - Rowand .736, Pierre .680

RBI  - Rowand 47, Pierre 69

AVG and OBP about the same.

If this was a one for one, and the Sox want more speed, and a lefty batter, it is pretty easy to see that this would be a great move.

Contracts:

Pierre $5 million a year for 3 years (2005-2008)

Rowand $3.25 million in 2006. He holds a player option for 2007 at $3.25 million. If he declines it, the White Sox can exercise a $5 million option.

So does adding Thome and Pierre a better option than Rowand, Marte, Everett, and a prospect?  I guess if they are pursuing Pierre, what does that say for Anderson?

I think it says that Anderson is not a two hole hitter.

QUOTE(JimH @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 10:31 AM)
I read some stories on the Phillies site where it said he only experienced pain while throwing, not hitting.  Although that .207 average he was sporting might suggest otherwise.

I'd have to think that injury had an effect on his swing. Without being able to extend your elbows, you definately can't extend your hands and your going to have a lot of trouble. Thome is the type of guy that makes zero excuses, but there is no doubt in my mind it had an effect (hell I hope it did, otherwise we just made a mistake, lol).

i really like thome, however now im curious as to who we put in center, so far i see pods in center dependin on who we get, id like pierre or ichiro but frankly i dont see it happening, somethin tells me we get a speedster that hits number two, based solely on what ive read in other threads and heard ozzie say

QUOTE(ChWRoCk2 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 06:09 PM)
i really like thome, however now im curious as to who we put in center, so far i see pods in center dependin on who we get, id like pierre or ichiro but frankly i dont see it happening, somethin tells me we get a speedster that hits number two, based solely on what ive read in other threads and heard ozzie say

There's a 0 percent chance Pods plays center this year.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 06:07 PM)
I'd have to think that injury had an effect on his swing.  Without being able to extend your elbows, you definately can't extend your hands and your going to have a lot of trouble.  Thome is the type of guy that makes zero excuses, but there is no doubt in my mind it had an effect (hell I hope it did, otherwise we just made a mistake, lol).

The injury did not effect his ability to straighten his elbow. The ligament in question keeps the forearm from going away from the humerus (valgus motion). This strtches the unlar nerve and the tissue on the inside of the elbow. It is nearly impossible to throw with this condition. Since he throwa righted and hits left handed its his front arm that is effected. This injury would cause pain or numbness in his hand and forearm on his follow through of the swing.

My best guess is that he injured early in the season tried to play through it (which caused the poor performance) and shut it down due to the symptoms.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 08:25 PM)
The injury did not effect his ability to straighten his elbow. The ligament in question keeps the forearm from going away from the humerus (valgus motion). This strtches the unlar nerve and the tissue on the inside of the elbow. It is nearly impossible to throw with this condition. Since he throwa righted and hits left handed its his front arm that is effected. This injury would cause pain or numbness in his hand and forearm on his follow through of the swing.

My best guess is that he injured early in the season tried to play through it (which caused the poor performance) and shut it down due to the symptoms.

I just hope your avatar doesn't happen to him, ouch!

Per Rotoworld: WSCR 670 in Chicago is reporting that the Cubs are close to acquiring Juan Pierre from the Marlins for three prospects. One would be left-hander Renyel Pinto. According to the report, center fielder Felix Pie wouldn't be involved. Another expendable reliever probably would be. Roberto Novoa or Jermaine Van Buren could help the Marlins.

I dont know if anyone else posted this but what the hell I'll do it anyways. Rotoworld seems to jump the gun a bit (ie Beckett and Lowell for Blalock was official) but this is interesting considering the Sox are now depending on a somewhat rookie in center. Personally I would welcome a guy like pierre to add to pods at the top, thats a lethal 1-2. :gosox3:

QUOTE(FGarcia34 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 08:45 PM)
Per Rotoworld: WSCR 670 in Chicago is reporting that the Cubs are close to acquiring Juan Pierre from the Marlins for three prospects. One would be left-hander Renyel Pinto. According to the report, center fielder Felix Pie wouldn't be involved. Another expendable reliever probably would be. Roberto Novoa or Jermaine Van Buren could help the Marlins.

I dont know if anyone else posted this but what the hell I'll do it anyways.  Rotoworld seems to jump the gun a bit (ie Beckett and Lowell for Blalock was official) but this is interesting considering the Sox are now depending on a somewhat rookie in center.  Personally I would welcome a guy like pierre to add to pods at the top, thats a lethal 1-2.  :gosox3:

All I can do is pray the cubs get Pierre... Because i'm so scared that KW and Ozzie won't be happy till they've made us the worst defense outfield in baseball... A CF is that important... and Pierre... He just sucks...

Anderson=Good...

Pierre=Crap

Besides that the 5 mil can be spent much more wisely... Like in Konerko...

By the way Pods and Pierre at one and two makes me vomit in my throat... Two of the exact same soft hitting player with no power... They would figure them out after game two... It would be a disaster...

If Ozzie thinks Juan Pierre would be an upgrade in that position then I'll go along with it. I still like everything the Sox are doing. We got an extra big bat with Thome (as DH in place for Carl) and can give Konerko a day off. Juan Pierre was a spark plug on a Marlins team that got the job done. Period. Ozzie thinks highly of this guy and I've supported him and Pudge when they were co-caps. Having Pods and Pierre as one and two reminds me of the first month of the 2002? season with Lofton and Durham (I think my info is right were hitting and stealing left and right. Our pitching has to remain intact; the starting four. Instead of Carlos we got Thome (from Peoria) and I think he's juiced. Juan and Rowand seem like similar players. Can someone compare OBP of the two? I know Juans got speed, but how is his defense again Rowand's THREE errors? It can't be better than Rowand's defense, yet it doesn't seem like a bad move to get Pierre. Who do we have to give up? We just gave up D. Haigwood and G. Gonzales along with Rowand. :angry:

What are the realistic chances that the White Sox trade for Juan Pierre ?

It seems as if, to me at least, that there is no chance - Brian Anderson would get the 1st opportunity to take an OF job and at a minimum salary, that is probably the desired option especially since the White Sox just traded some good minor league pitching.

BTW, what kind of shape is the White Sox minor league system in after this trade ? Obviously, they seem stacked in the OF, but how about pitching ?

Hopefully, Konerko resigns to go with Thome, but I think Iguchi is our #2 hitter again!

QUOTE(spiderman @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 02:47 AM)
Hopefully, Konerko resigns to go with Thome, but I think Iguchi is our #2 hitter again!

I disagree. I think KW is going to get someone with speed that can hit in the 2 spot. I think Iguchi will be moved down now to replace Rowand's stick at the bottom of the order.

I disagree. I think KW is going to get someone with speed that can hit in the 2 spot. I think Iguchi will be moved down now to replace Rowand's stick at the bottom of the order.

Rowand's .736 OPS really shouldn't be too hard to replace at the bottom of the order. I wouldn't be totally shocked if Brian Anderson puts up a .736 OPS starting full-time in center field.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 06:28 AM)
By the way Pods and Pierre at one and two makes me vomit in my throat... Two of the exact same soft hitting player with no power... They would figure them out after game two... It would be a disaster...

Having #1 and 2 hitters w/o power isn't a problem. Esp if they hit close to .300 and have a nice OBP so they get on base for the rest of the lineup.