C_LEE45

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WTF!?!?!?!?

From the article:

The Orioles' initial offer to Konerko - made earlier this month - was four years for $50 million, before they countered with the five-year deal for $65 million Tuesday. Ironically, those are the exact terms of Albert Belle's contract when he signed with the Orioles before the 1999 season.

Belle, a mercurial slugger, saw his career come to a premature end because of a degenerative hip condition. Citing a high-ranking White Sox official, The Sun reported in Tuesday's edition that Konerko has an arthritic hip condition. One Orioles official said the club is aware of the condition, which was apparently diagnosed years ago, but isn't deeply concerned. The White Sox aren't making any official comment on Konerko's hip, but one club official privately told the Chicago Tribune that the team was upset that the information had become public.

Is this just plain Baltimore BS?!?!!??

Maybe I missed it, if I did, sorry folks.

From the Tuesday Baltimore Sun article -

The White Sox, who got insurance if Konerko departs with last week's trade for first baseman/designated hitter Jim Thome, have reportedly given Konerko a deadline - next week's winter meetings - to decide what he wants to do.

One high-ranking White Sox official said the world champions were wary to go to a fifth year on Konerko because of an arthritic hip condition. However, the source said the team would offer five years to its clubhouse leader if he is getting five-year proposals from other teams.

OK, fire away.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 10:23 PM)
No real suprise there, however it does tell me that money is not the only thing that is going to get Kong to his final destination. I dont think he is going to see a better offer than that, but I could be wrong...

Exactly what I thought. The best the halos have to offer that can top us is that their in the west coast. I am sure the sox will be close if not offer the same contract as the angels.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 11:23 PM)
No.  This has been known for a while.

Thanks R44....

OK then.

IMO, it seems that the hip is not a bone of contention, no pun intended.

So let's say Paulie signs a 5 yr $65 mil deal with the Sox, and a mutual option for a 6th year. Does that seem risky? Will it be worth the risk?

IMO, yes it would be. Paulie's numbers have been going up, not down. If Paulie keeps getting treatment and conditioning to at least temper that hip, then I feel that his numbers won't falter. What does anyone else think?

QUOTE(OilCan @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 10:27 PM)
Thanks R44....

OK then. 

IMO, it seems that the hip is not a bone of contention, no pun intended.

So let's say Paulie signs a 5 yr $65 mil deal with the Sox, and a mutual option for a 6th year.  Does that seem risky?  Will it be worth the risk?

IMO, yes it would be.  Paulie's numbers have been going up, not down.  If Paulie keeps getting treatment and conditioning to at least temper that hip, then I feel that his numbers won't falter.  What does anyone else think?

Well the thing is that it can flare up anytime like Hermy and Crede's back problems or not bother him too much at all. Kong is a big man too so you hope it doesn't effect him too much.

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 06:22 AM)
Yes, and it is.

:rolly

I still think his 2003 struggles were hip- related. Paulie also looks thinner (not just his hair) to me the past couple of years, maybe to take some of weight and pressure off his hip? There was nothing noticeable about Belle's hip when he played for the White Sox, and considering how quickly he went from being basically an ironman playing every inning of every game to not being able to play at all, it would make me very leery of giving Konerko the same contract.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 02:13 PM)
I still think his 2003 struggles were hip- related. Paulie also looks thinner (not just his hair) to me the past couple of years, maybe to take some of weight and pressure off his hip? There was nothing noticeable about Belle's hip when he played for the White Sox, and considering how quickly he went from being basically an ironman playing every inning of every game to not being able to play at all, it would make me very leery of giving Konerko the same contract.

If you didn't know who he was, you'd never think PK was an athlete when you see him off the field. I saw him in the lobby of a hotel once, and was stunned at how thin he seemed to be.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 11:41 PM)
Isnt an arthritic hip what prematurely ended Albert Belle's career?  I hope this isnt the same condition

As Steff said it is, but it is not as advanced as what Belle's was at a similar age. It is a degenerative condition and there isn't a whole lot that can be done about it. It just needs to be monitored to see the changes. The biggest thing is to maintain his flexibility to keep the range of motion needed to play.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 08:49 AM)
As Steff said it is, but it is not as advanced as what Belle's was at a similar age. It is a degenerative condition and there isn't a whole lot that can be done about it. It just needs to be monitored to see the changes. The biggest thing is to maintain his flexibility to keep the range of motion needed to play.

Albert's went south around 32.. Albert was also a bigger guy with more muscle, and way more athletic then Paul. Factors to consider, but it's not a predictable condition.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 08:13 AM)

not only did pauly play through 03 with the hip condition but the second half of 02 was as well. this thing is nothing new, hes had it for a long time and been productive with it

Anyone think that this might be a little damage control by the Sox because they think PK is going to the Angels? You know, start to emphasize the hip condition as a reason why they didn't want to give him the 5th year on his deal, etc?

Also, by no means am I criticizing the Sox for doing this. For that big of a contract, you better be sure that he's not a likely risk to have his health deteriorate a lot during the length of the deal.