14 Widger $0.65

15 Anderson $0.35 (club control)

16 McCarthy $0.35 (club control)

17 Ozuna $0.50

18 Jenks $0.35 (club control)

19 Cotts $0.35 (club control)

To be determined

20 Crede $2.00 * estimate - arbitration

21 Vizcaino $1.50 * estimate (arbitration)

22 Pierzynski $4.50 * estimate - arbitration

23 Garland $6.00 * estimate - arbitration

24 Harris $0.60 * estimate - arbitration

25 OF $1.00 * estimate (Timo 2005 salary)

Total $85.45

[note - edited to include Vizcaino. Final roster has 12 pitchers. The Sox carried 11 to start 2005]

If the Sox move El Duque or Marte, that obviously clears up some additional salary. Moving El Duque or Marte would get the Sox an additional $7 million in payroll flexibility.

Edited by BlackBetsy

If they aren't at exactly the $85M mark, they're awfully close.

Just looking at Thome's figure and some of the others, I don't know if $85M is a certainty.

Either way, I'm in stunned disbelief. I never thought I'd see the payroll after winning the World Series rise to $85M.

The thought of being considered amongst the elite clubs in the league makes me giddy. They still have a lot to prove, but, if the Sox were to have another storied season, we'd be right up there with those East-coasters.

Edited by AddisonStSox

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 03:17 PM)
If they aren't at exactly the $85M mark, they're awfully close.

Just looking at Thome's figure and some of the others, I don't know if $85M is a certainty.

Either way, I'm in stunned disbelief.  I never thought I'd see the payroll after winning the World Series rise to $85M.

You should have just listened to me the first time I posted it, and explained the history of exactly why it would happen :P

QUOTE(bumptious96 @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 09:37 PM)
when you think about it. our payroll has risen by at least $20 million over the past two seasons. 2003 was around $65. now its close to $90. that has to be one of the biggest increases in baseball over the past two seasons.

i guess reinsdorf wasn't lying when he said if we come he'll pay...but i think it was a two way street, cause he paid, we came, he paid

I think your are missing Viscaino on there, remember there is not enough room for Marte, Viscaino, and McCarthy in the pen. THat is unless we decide to have 7 releivers which is not normal. Thome is to make 12.5 mil this year and the sox got 22 mil to pay for his 3 years of service. So thats 7.33 mil per year to pay his contract so for 2006 we pay 12.5-7.33 = 5.17 for Thome, in 07 and 08 we pay 6.67 mil per year for him.

QUOTE(bumptious96 @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 04:37 PM)
when you think about it. our payroll has risen by at least $20 million over the past two seasons. 2003 was around $65. now its close to $90. that has to be one of the biggest increases in baseball over the past two seasons.

In 2003 i think we started at $58 mil then added due to the everett and alomar trades.