Sox-Rowand Nugget

AddisonStSox

Well, we hooked up with a family member very close to Aaron and the Rowand Camp over Christmas and he said a friend/source of his close to Aaron has said the White Sox expressed interest to re-acquire Aaron in the future via trade, possibly as early as this season's trade-deadline given the situations of both the Sox and the Phillies.

Also, everything Aaron said to the media regarding his relationship with the White Sox is right on. He has no ill will towards Williams or the organization and although he was really depressed by the whole situation, he understands it's a business and hopes to come back one day.

So, this is certainly not anything Earth-shattering, but, I figured we'd have enough folks interested and this might give the Aaron fans something to hold on to.

Happy Holidays, all.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Dec 26, 2005 -> 02:13 PM)
You're a Marlins fan?

In all honesty, I don't see him coming back.

It is highly unlikely that he would come back, but I guess you never know. If Anderson tanks and the Sox go looking for a Veteran Outfielder, then maybe. He could come back in Free Agency, but I don't see him coming back with the other guys waiting in the wings. He probably has as much of a chance coming back as Frank does.

Those who say no we won't...put yourself in this scenario.

Anderson is hurt...for hypothetical purposes, a torn groin...and is done for the season. Jerry Owens in AAA is struggling to hit .270. While not bad, that's obviously not a good indicator of things to come. You are nearing the July 31st deadline, and the Phillies are out of the race...do you not call up Stand Pat and just see what he thinks of Rowand, having seen him for 4 months now?

It's not likely...but under many circumstances it is possible.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Dec 26, 2005 -> 06:58 PM)
Can't say I'd be mad.  However, I will be surprised to see such happen.

I have always liked Aaron Rowand on the Sox, but this scenario doesn't make a lot of sense. The other part of the trade talk is the Phillies. They wanted A-Row in CF and why would they be so willing to just part with him because KW wanted him back? But, I guess stranger things have happened and I would love Rowand back in Chitown.

QUOTE(WinninUgly @ Dec 26, 2005 -> 03:43 PM)
It is highly unlikely that he would come back, but I guess you never know.  If Anderson tanks and the Sox go looking for a Veteran Outfielder, then maybe.  He could come back in Free Agency, but I don't see him coming back with the other guys waiting in the wings.  He probably has as much of a chance coming back as Frank does.

haha. Remember how many times Alomar and Everett, and even Sandy Alomar Jr came back? If Kenny likes you, there are no prospects too large ;)

Jerry Reinsdorf called Rowand after he was traded, and Reinsdorf thanked Rowand for his contributions, said he'd always be welcome here and told Rowand "you never know, you might be back some day".

So, there's mutual respect between the player and organization, for what that's worth.

Right now, we still have too damn many outfielders. I count 6 under our control for 06-07, all but 1 of whom appear ML ready. (Borch, BA, Owens, Sweeney, Dye, Pods). We may lose 1 if he doesn't make the team this year, but that still leaves us with 5 guys competing for at most 4 spots.

Maybe 2 years from now I could imagine us actually making a run at ARow. But right now...well, we have a logjam in the outfield.

I still say that if I can find a way to get tickets to a Dodgers/Phillies game, I'm going to deck myself out in full Chisox merch, and make a bigass sign just saying "Thanks Aaron" with a few "33's" on it.

I'll do the same thing if we trade Garland, and if I get to see El Duque or Viz pitch, or for the Hurt, or for Carl, or for any other player on that 2005 team. Each and every one of them has a lifetime fan right here.

I think there is a better shot of this happening than some of you think. What prospects do we have. Jerry Owens isn't this god you all make him out to be and Ryan Sweeney still has to show something in the minors before we annoit him the "god" some scouts thought he was a couple years back.

Plus Brian Anderson has to prove he can do it in the majors. We no longer have this log jam of OF prospects (imo) and if Brian is struggling (which I could see happen cause he still needs to do a lot of work on his swing) than I could see Arow back on the southside.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 27, 2005 -> 01:12 PM)
I think there is a better shot of this happening than some of you think.  What prospects do we have.  Jerry Owens isn't this god you all make him out to be and Ryan Sweeney still has to show something in the minors before we annoit him the "god" some scouts thought he was a couple years back.

afaik, Sweeney doesn't play CF, and Owens is pretty bad defensively. Not completely sure about this, but if im right, Rowand wouldn't be a bad addition at all as a fourth OF, or even a starter depending on how Anderson adjusts to the majors.

Edited by Felix

If Anderson, Sweeney, and Owens are anywhere near as good as the Sox think they will be, Rowand can come back as a reserve. Obviously, things happen over the course of a season or 2 or 3. I wouldn't read too much into the conversation JR had with him. It appears he is just thanking him for his service, and basically saying stranger things have happened than his returning some day. Basically telling Rowand it was nothing he did that got him traded, they just thought Thome was a bigger need.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 27, 2005 -> 02:03 PM)
If Anderson, Sweeney, and Owens are anywhere near as good as the Sox think they will be, Rowand can come back as a reserve. Obviously, things happen over the course of a season or 2 or 3. I wouldn't read too much into the conversation JR had with him. It appears he is just thanking him for his service, and basically saying stranger things have happened than his returning some day. Basically telling Rowand it was nothing he did that got him traded, they just thought Thome was a bigger need.

I'd say that sounds pretty accurate. Now, I don't know if this is common procedure or not, but, from what I've heard, the organization went out of their way to tell Aaron that he's not only welcomed back, but, they might try to acquire him sooner rather than later. Again, this could all just be positive spin for a guy going through a pretty rough time, both in the game of baseball and out.

I just liked hearing the door was open. If Everett and Alomar are any indication of Kenny bringing back players he feels strongly for, there is no reason to believe Rowand's name won't be brought up given the right situation.