Ozzie article in the new Sports Illustrated

Al Lopez's Ghost

I got in the mail today - it's dated 2/20/06 and the cover picture has that Olympian "The Flying Tomato" on it. Anyhow, the story is yet another behind the scenes look at Ozzie, but covering heavy stuff. You may remember a player named Gus Polidor who was Ozzie's best friend and was murdered in Venezuela ten years ago. The story begins with Ozzie facing the murderer, and telling Ozzie junior "That's the motherf----- who killed Gus."

To be honest I haven't finished reading the article, but it looks like it will be an interesting read.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Al Lopez's Ghost @ Feb 16, 2006 -> 08:30 AM)
Now that I've read the whole thing, you'll want to read this article. He puts a major rip on A-Rod.

Mike&Mike just mentioned that in their show. We should all be properly prepared for the media to rip Ozzie, because he is gonna be ripped for the next couple of weeks over this. Ozzie also put in a shot on Nomar Garciaparra representing Mexico.

QUOTE(Al Lopez's Ghost @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 09:36 PM)
I got in the mail today - it's dated 2/20/06 and the cover picture has that Olympian "The Flying Tomato" on it.  Anyhow, the story is yet another behind the scenes look at Ozzie, but covering heavy stuff. You may remember a player named Gus Polidor who was Ozzie's best friend and was murdered in Venezuela ten years ago. The story begins with Ozzie facing the murderer, and telling Ozzie junior "That's the motherf----- who killed Gus."

To be honest I haven't finished reading the article, but it looks like it will be an interesting read.

Yeah, it was a good read. Ozzie has really seen some f***ed up s*** in his life. I felt for him, running into the killer of his best friend. This happened during a visit to that pitcher in jail, forgetting his name. Anyway, the friend in jail asked him 'What do you want me to do?....sounded bad. Ozzie told him nothing.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Feb 16, 2006 -> 09:09 AM)
Yeah, it was a good read.  Ozzie has really seen some f***ed up s*** in his life.  I felt for him, running into the killer of his best friend.  This happened during a visit to that pitcher in jail, forgetting his name.  Anyway, the friend in jail asked him 'What do you want me to do?....sounded bad.  Ozzie told him nothing.

Ugueth Urbina asked Ozzie "what do you want me to do?" about taking care of his best friends killer? Really? That is sure going to help Ugie beat the rap that he hacked up his poolboy with a machete and doused him with gasoline, now isnt it?

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Feb 16, 2006 -> 02:09 PM)
Yeah, it was a good read.  Ozzie has really seen some f***ed up s*** in his life.  I felt for him, running into the killer of his best friend.  This happened during a visit to that pitcher in jail, forgetting his name.  Anyway, the friend in jail asked him 'What do you want me to do?....sounded bad.  Ozzie told him nothing.

i think he was visiting ugueth urbina.

i haven't been home in a few days so i haven't picked mine up yet. who wrote the story?

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Feb 16, 2006 -> 09:21 AM)
Ugueth Urbina asked Ozzie "what do you want me to do?" about taking care of his best friends killer?  Really?  That is sure going to help Ugie beat the rap that he hacked up his poolboy with a machete and doused him with gasoline, now isnt it?

Yes, it was Urbina...had a brain cramp. Yeah, the way you read this, Urbina would kill this guy for Ozzie. It was real weird how Ozzie runs into this guy at the prison. It almost sounded like Ozzie is walking around the place, and just runs into this killer. Very strange.

Edited by tonyho7476

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Feb 16, 2006 -> 10:33 AM)
Yes, it was Urbina...had a brain cramp.  Yeah, the way you read this, Urbina would kill this guy for Ozzie.  It was real weird how Ozzie runs into this guy at the prison.  It almost sounded like Ozzie is walking around the place, and just runs into this killer.  Very strange.

I dont know exactly how they run the prison there, but when i watched Urbina's interview from jail last year, it was like prisoners were in a large cell that visitors could walk up to. Ugueth was being interviewed, and there were all kinds of prisoners behind him milling around. This must be their form of a visitation cell. Ozzie was probably standing there and his buddies killer probably passed behind Urbina.

QUOTE(Al Lopez's Ghost @ Feb 16, 2006 -> 07:30 AM)
Now that I've read the whole thing, you'll want to read this article. He puts a major rip on A-Rod.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2332682

Guillen calls A-Rod hypocrite in SI for WBC decision

Another spring, another member of the Sox taking shots at Alex Rodriguez. This time, however, it isn't the Boston Red Sox; it's Chicago White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen.

Guillen, in an interview with Sports Illustrated, targeted A-Rod's much-publicized back and forth standing whether to play in the World Baseball Classic for the Dominican Republic or United States.

"Alex was kissing Latino people's asses," Guillen, who's from Venezuela, said in the most recent issue of Sports Illustrated. "He knew he wasn't going to play for the Dominicans; he's not a Dominican!"

Rodriguez, who has dual citizenship in the Dominican Republic and United States, decided to play for the American squad after once saying he wasn't going to play in the WBC because choosing a team was too difficult. Guillen apparently found his wishy-washy attitude to be disingenuous.

"I hate hypocrites: He's full of [expletive]," Guillen told Sports Illustrated. "The Dominican team doesn't need his ass. It's the same with [Nomar] Garciaparra playing for Mexico. Garciaparra only knows Cancun because he went to visit."

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Feb 16, 2006 -> 11:33 AM)
:lolhitting

I know Ozzie gets ripped for having a big mouth, but you know what?  He says it exactly like it is.

Ozzie for President.  :lolhitting

I agree...its funny. A-Rod always seemed to be an American to me. Was he born in the Dominican?

nope. Born in America, Miami I believe. Its ridiculous but no more than Piazza playing for Italy and there are a few other examples. A-Rod catches the heat because of two things: He's an easier target and high profile, and because the DR is a legitimate threat to win it all whereas Italy would not be

I have not read the interview, but I've noticed Ozzie takes some of his worst shots at other Latino ball players. He's becoming a minstrel show for the white media. Hey there's Oz, let's throw some names out and watch him say something stupid that we can print.

Some day the Sox will no longer be WS champs. Some day they won't even make the playoffs or might just flat out suck and maybe Ozzie will still be their manager. When that day comes, there will be a line of people waiting to talk a world of s*** about Ozzie. It's easy to dish it out when you're on top. It will be interesting to see if he can take it in return when he's not.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Feb 16, 2006 -> 10:48 AM)
nope. Born in America, Miami I believe. Its ridiculous but no more than Piazza playing for Italy and there are a few other examples. A-Rod catches the heat because of two things: He's an easier target and high profile, and because the DR is a legitimate threat to win it all whereas Italy would not be

Born in NY. The reason he is so "tight" on the DR is because the years he spent there are the years that he discovered and nurtured his baseball talent.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Feb 16, 2006 -> 08:48 AM)

Alex Rodriguez...Born, NEW YORK, NEW YORK.

Linky.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Feb 16, 2006 -> 11:59 AM)
I have not read the interview, but I've noticed Ozzie takes some of his worst shots at other Latino ball players.  He's becoming a minstrel show for the white media.  Hey there's Oz, let's throw some names out and watch him say something stupid that we can print.

Some day the Sox will no longer be WS champs.  Some day they won't even make the playoffs or might just flat out suck and maybe Ozzie will still be their manager.  When that day comes, there will be a line of people waiting to talk a world of s*** about Ozzie.  It's easy to dish it out when you're on top.  It will be interesting to see if he can take it in return when he's not.

You're right, but I still find it funny. People, especially people in the media, do not like to talk openly. There are plenty of people who refuse to speak their mind. As we are seeing, it can be interesting when they do.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Feb 16, 2006 -> 02:08 PM)
You're right, but I still find it funny.  People, especially people in the media, do not like to talk openly.  There are plenty of people who refuse to speak their mind.  As we are seeing, it can be interesting when they do.

It definately is funny. The question is, what or who are people really laughing at? ;)

I'd say most people are SMART enough to not speak openly to the media.

Can't wait to hear Ozzie chime in on Sammy's retirement.

Edited by LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Feb 16, 2006 -> 01:08 PM)
You're right, but I still find it funny.  People, especially people in the media, do not like to talk openly.  There are plenty of people who refuse to speak their mind.  As we are seeing, it can be interesting when they do.

Ozzie sure does like ripping people, especially fellow latins. However, when he was getting some criticism last season during the teams bad run, he talked of quitting. The more he is out in the open with his jabs, the more shots he's setting himself up for. The question will be: Can he take it? I just wish he would take the approach of staying out of people's business he has no right to question. He didn't enjoy it when the mayor questioned his not going to the White House, and there he is popping off about Nomar and ARod. Seems hypocritical, but he hates hypocrites.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Feb 16, 2006 -> 02:21 PM)
Ozzie sure does like ripping people, especially fellow latins. However, when he was getting some criticism last season during the teams bad run, he talked of quitting. The more he is out in the open with his jabs, the more shots he's setting himself up for. The question will be: Can he take it? I just wish he would take the approach of staying out of people's business he has no right to question. He didn't enjoy it when the mayor questioned his not going to the White House, and there he is popping off about Nomar and ARod. Seems hypocritical, but he hates hypocrites.

:notworthy

I'd like to see A Rod and Nomar take the high road on this one and let it go.