• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prior scratched from start

By Paul Sullivan

Tribune staff reporter

July 9, 2006, 12:51 PM CDT

MILWAUKEE -- Mark Prior was scratched from Sunday's start against Milwaukee with a strained left oblique muscle that he said he injured while taking batting practice on Saturday.

"The goat is starting to look real," Prior said, referring to the Billy Goat Curse.

Trainer Mark O'Neal said Prior's injury could be problematic, and he could be placed on the disabled list.

"He didn't say anything to us about it until late in the game last night, after he took batting practice, he felt some soreness and didn't think anything about it," O'Neal said. "And then he was in there watching the game on the couch and tried to get up and it was pretty sore."

Prior said he wasn't overswinging during batting practice.

"I wasn't swinging hard, just trying to get loose," he said. "I didn't feel anything. It wasn't like I went to my knees."

Prior didn't notice anything until he sat on the clubhouse couch and got up and felt some pain. He doesn't believe it will linger, though at this point he can't be sure about anything.

"I'm hoping it's not something for the second half," he said. "We're going to play it by ear after last night. This morning I felt good getting up, then sneezed and realized it wasn't getting any better. I hope after four days it'll be alright."

Well there is a play you don't see every day: Roy Oswalt doubles in the 11th inning, yet missed the base according to the ump(very hard to tell if he hit it on the replay) and when the Cardinals appealed he was called out.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 9, 2006 -> 10:43 PM)
Well there is a play you don't see every day: Roy Oswalt doubles in the 11th inning, yet missed the base according to the ump(very hard to tell if he hit it on the replay) and when the Cardinals appealed he was called out.

The Astros' first base coach gave it away. I'm almost positive he's the only reason the ump assumed he didn't touch the base.

QUOTE(MHizzle85 @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 12:47 PM)
They said he injured his hand on Friday and wasn't sure if he wanted to play all weekend

Yeah, he sliced open a few fingers on the underside of his hand and needed some stitches. He sat out yesterday out of fear that he may bust open the wound swinging a bat.

QUOTE(MHizzle85 @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 12:47 PM)
They said he injured his hand on Friday and wasn't sure if he wanted to play all weekend

which leads me to one of my biggest pet peeves in baseball, he injured himself on a head first slide into first. i didn't see the play, so maybe he was trying to avoid a tag or something.. but still, that has to be one of the dumbest plays anyone can make

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 12:52 AM)
The first person to tell me what is wrong with this poll gets major cool points from me.

dumbasspoll0hk.jpg

This is the sort of s*** that pisses me off.

How about that Arod has a walkoff homer against Atlanta when his team was down by a run?

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 01:25 AM)
How about that Arod has a walkoff homer against Atlanta when his team was down by a run?

Appearantly if you have a $252M contract, walkoff homeruns and 7 RBI games including a grandslam against your crosstown rival don't count as clutch. I'm not one to harp on the clusterf*** of idiocy that is ESPN but the A-Rod hatred comming out of NY/Bristol is just sickening.

1.000+ OPSs w/ both RISP and RISP w/ 2 out seems relatively clutch to me.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 01:30 AM)
Appearantly if you have a $252M contract, walkoff homeruns and 7 RBI games including a grandslam against your crosstown rival don't count as clutch. I'm not one to harp on the clusterf*** of idiocy that is ESPN but the A-Rod hatred comming out of NY/Bristol is just sickening.

If they really don't want him, they can pay most of his contract and trade him here.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 11:30 PM)

On the other hand, one could also look at the 8 for 47 he's put up this season in "Close and Late" situations, with the associated .548 OPS, and then start to wonder.

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 12:30 PM)
The Tigers wins being there and the stat about the White Sox leading MLB in homers not there??

Considering the Sox are at the top of the league in homers almost every season it seems, how exactly is that an "amazing stat"?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 02:38 PM)
Considering the Sox are at the top of the league in homers almost every season it seems, how exactly is that an "amazing stat"?

lol ya. Everyone knew we'd hit a ton of homers as usual, nobody knew at this point that the Tigers would have the best record in baseball.