Ozzie: Mack going to start more games in CF

greasywheels121

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 24, 2006 -> 04:17 PM)
Basically Ozzie said he will play against RH pitchers. Well thats been the case so far, what exactly is changing?

Fans want a reason to b**** and moan, this winning stuff is new to us and we're still getting used to the mindset. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but that is what the deal is here IMO.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 24, 2006 -> 09:30 PM)
Fans want a reason to b**** and moan, this winning stuff is new to us and we're still getting used to the mindset.

:headshake

There are plenty of times to use this reference, but I don't think this is one of them.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 24, 2006 -> 04:37 PM)
:headshake

There are plenty of times to use this reference, but I don't think this is one of them.

Why not? We are 1 game behind last year's pace, despite not even playing our best ball, and a thread over our manager wanting to play a guy who's 12 for his last 24 turns into "this is stupid, we need defense in CF". That's just silly IMO.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 24, 2006 -> 04:39 PM)
Why not? We are 1 game behind last year's pace, despite not even playing our best ball, and a thread over our manager wanting to play a guy who's 12 for his last 24 turns into "this is stupid, we need defense in CF". That's just silly IMO.

It's possible to disagree with something and not b****. I don't think I'm b****ing here when I say that I don't think it's the right move to basically make Mack a regular.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ May 24, 2006 -> 04:40 PM)
It's possible to disagree with something and not b****. I don't think I'm b****ing here when I say that I don't think it's the right move to basically make Mack a regular.

Your not one of the ones b****ing sir, there is a difference between basic disagreement and all out b****ing and your on the right side of the line.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 24, 2006 -> 03:47 PM)
The more this season goes on, the more I believe we're going to be in the market for a CF in a few months.

ph_279913.jpg

"Pick up the phone K-Dub"

As i said in the Corey Patterson thread, we need a more complete CF. Anderson definatly has the glove but his bat needs to come along and i don't feel the organization is going to give Brian the luxury they gave Crede. Mackowiak in CF is just simply bad, yes it can pass for short periods of time but its just not good.

I wouldn't mind seeing Patterson on the south side. The O's just like the D-Rays know the only way they're going to win is with pitching and seeing how Corey looks to have found himself and only signed a 1 year contract i wouldn't be supprised if they fliped him for pitching.

Yea, it's always best to make long term decisions using short term, "OMG Mack has a .500 BA his last 24 AB's" logic.

Over the long run, Mack has proven himself to a) stink at the plate, and B) suck in CF. Mack has a career OPS+ of 93, which wouldn't be terrible if was even average in CF. But he's not at all. How much worse can BA do than Mack at the plate? The answer is not nearly as much worse as Mack can do in center.

CF is damn important, especially when the LF and RF aren't exactly world beaters out there.

At least BA is a) young and will likely improve and B) one of the best defensive CF in baseball.

QUOTE(Allsox @ May 24, 2006 -> 01:44 PM)
Having "servicable" defense out in CF in hopes of defending a World Series title isn't acceptable considering the fact Brian's glove is more than that.

Having a #9 hitter who has been worse at the plate than a lot of NL pitchers isn't acceptable, either. BA's defense is top-notch and I wouldn't like Mack to permanently take over, but I wouldn't have a problem with BA and Mack platooning and BA out there in the late innings as a defensive sub.

Why not? We are 1 game behind last year's pace, despite not even playing our best ball

This team is winning games at a .667 clip. The season is roughly 25% over. I think it's safe to say that the winning percentage will not stay .667 throughout 162 games. It will go down.

This team is playing has played a great stretch of baseball--IMO--it will be their best stretch this season. If they play .500 ball from here on out, that will give them 89 wins--still a good season.

I fully expect 90+, but to say this hasn't played their best ball is a bit of hyperbole. I'd like to see them have another 30-15 stretch, or better, but I don't expect it.

I should state I don't think the team will only play .500 ball from here on out. And clearly 89 wins for most teams would be probably be considered a "good" season, but not for the talent of this bunch. It would be a rightful dissapointment.

Like I said, I expect 90 as a bare min. I predicted 93 before the season, and I'm going to stick with it.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ May 24, 2006 -> 03:28 PM)
I fully expect 90+, but to say this hasn't played their best ball is a bit of hyperbole. I'd like to see them have another 30-15 stretch, or better, but I don't expect it.

On paper, you're totally right. But the counterpoint is this; just watching the team, they don't seem like they're firing on every cylinder they could be. Even during the winning streaks, there's still a couple pitchers struggling, some bullpen guy falling apart, guys making silly plays on defense, etc. They just seem like they can play a lot better than this just from watching them.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 24, 2006 -> 06:13 PM)
On paper, you're totally right. But the counterpoint is this; just watching the team, they don't seem like they're firing on every cylinder they could be. Even during the winning streaks, there's still a couple pitchers struggling, some bullpen guy falling apart, guys making silly plays on defense, etc. They just seem like they can play a lot better than this just from watching them.

That's basically how I feel. The record might show we're playing as well as we can but it doesn't feel like we are. We might not have a better stretch during the season with games won but I bet there will be a stretch where we play better baseball.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ May 24, 2006 -> 07:24 PM)
That's basically how I feel. The record might show we're playing as well as we can but it doesn't feel like we are. We might not have a better stretch during the season with games won but I bet there will be a stretch where we play better baseball.

I know we touched upon that earlier this year, but it still feels that way. It's weird. I guess that's what expectations do after a WS.

But the counterpoint is this; just watching the team, they don't seem like they're firing on every cylinder they could be.

I agree that not all aspects of the team are "firing on all cylinders" at the same time, but: should we expect them too?

Past Jenks, BMAC, and maybe Cotts this bullpen just isn't that good. I don't expect them to every really have a good stretch, it's just something this 2006 has to work around.

The starting pitching was magical last year, but I think it will struggle at times this year. Garland is back to being league average, and Vasquez and Garcia (despite his W/L) are pretty near it as well.

I expect Buehrle and Contreras to post great seasons, but the 3, 4, and 5 starters will have their ups and downs IMO.

The story of this season is the offense so far. 2nd most runs in MLB, Thome with an OPS over .1100, Kong, Dye, AJ, Crede, and Iguchi putting up great numbers as well.

Get this: Iguchi is 40th among eligible players in OPS. That is freaking wonderful. He is a great value. I just don't see all those guys--especially Crede and AJ--maintaining their hot starts.

This team is fun to watch, and I hope they prove all of my more pessimistic predictions dead wrong.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ May 24, 2006 -> 03:31 PM)
People always said Mack would be utilized like a starter when he gets going, because he's incredibly streaky. I feel this is just for the short-term. And I agree that BA should be out there the majority of the time.

I think you hit it on the head greasy, Mack is in the midst of one of his patented hot streaks. Oz has got to play the hot hand in this situation.

I think BA is going to be a hell of a ballplayer, and discounting any trade acquiring a new CF, I think we'll see BA playing nearly full time again by the end of the year and chipping in a few more hits for the O.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ May 24, 2006 -> 10:34 PM)
Brian Anderson sends a Cub to the hospital in a bench clearing brawl, and suddenly Mack is going to see more PT in CF.

The Cub also played 1B the next game IIRC.

It was always unrealistic to give Brian Anderson more than 80-100 games as a rookie when he obviously had no clue at the plate during his call up last September. All the Sox are doing now is settling into a more realistic breaking in period for Anderson. Mack isn't the CF of the future, or even that much of the present. Anderson will always be the late inning defensive replacement, will certainly start against all lefties (and since we haven't done very well against lefties, teams are going to use them against us if they can), and will start against the right handers that Ozzie thinks won't embarrass him.

I agree with those who feel defense is important. But Mackowiak has just won us two out of three against Oakland with his bat, so lighten up.

I just got back from the game and I have to say I would rather have BA in center than MACK even if BA hits -1.000 and has to spot the other team runs... because lets face it MACK cannot field the CF position

His defensive positioning is mind boogling, that dropped ball on Dye was 80% Mack's fault because he didnt talk to Dye to let him know where he was. It was awful. Dye was more wondering where the hell was Mack like most of the crowd. Dye was shading deep to right and Mack was right center.... he should have called that ball and took it down... dye had to make up so much space to make up for mack putird D it made me sick.

Mack should never be in CF EVER. The Cf has to be a player and a QB.... like someone else said Cf is third most important defensive position behind P and C.

I thought for a long while that maybe the TV angles and shots were unfair to Macks horrible D... after having the chance to see him in person I can say for definate that he is worse in Cf than pablo is in left

And dont get me started on his arm

:(

QUOTE(Felix @ May 24, 2006 -> 09:43 PM)
The Cub also played 1B the next game IIRC.

The point was Anderson is going to be suspended soon, so obviously Mack will see more time in CF. Besides, where's the bad part of "Brian Anderson sends a Cub to the hospital"? It's definitely fun to type and say.

QUOTE(Misplaced_Sox @ May 25, 2006 -> 03:32 AM)
I just got back from the game and I have to say I would rather have BA in center than MACK even if BA hits -1.000 and has to spot the other team runs... because lets face it MACK cannot field the CF position

His defensive positioning is mind boogling, that dropped ball on Dye was 80% Mack's fault because he didnt talk to Dye to let him know where he was. It was awful. Dye was more wondering where the hell was Mack like most of the crowd. Dye was shading deep to right and Mack was right center.... he should have called that ball and took it down... dye had to make up so much space to make up for mack putird D it made me sick.

Mack should never be in CF EVER. The Cf has to be a player and a QB.... like someone else said Cf is third most important defensive position behind P and C.

I thought for a long while that maybe the TV angles and shots were unfair to Macks horrible D... after having the chance to see him in person I can say for definate that he is worse in Cf than pablo is in left

And dont get me started on his arm

:(

Yep, I thought that we were going to lose after Mack straight up botched that s*** tonight. Normally, I'm not one to second-guess the manager, but FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, get Mackowiak the f*** outta there.

If we're talking position players, you absolutely can not afford to have a defensive liability at C, SS, or CF.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ May 24, 2006 -> 11:07 PM)
Yep, I thought that we were going to lose after Mack straight up botched that s*** tonight. Normally, I'm not one to second-guess the manager, but FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, get Mackowiak the f*** outta there.

If we're talking position players, you absolutely can not afford to have a defensive liability at C, SS, or CF.

Well that's a ball Dye still should have caught, and even if not Mack did have a big 2 out RBI single against a guy that Anderson would have had no shot against in Haren, so he did make up for the "lost run", which we pitched over anyways, as that inning probably ends 3-2 even if that ball is caught (runner at 3rd scores IMO).

In the long run, we need BA out there with his great defense and to let his game at the plate develop, but Mack is raking and we're winning these games so in the short term I don't mind this, keyword being SHORT TERM. I don't want it like this all year.