Rumor heard during Phillies-Dodgers game...

AWhiteSoxinNJ

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 11:24 AM)
Can someone tell me the status or ARow's contract?

He signed for the rest of this year for $3.25M and has a team option for $5M next year along with a player option of $3.25M

I want to just say that CF is the least of our problems. If a 9 hole hitter is whats costing us right now well than I will just be speachless cause there is no way in hell a team doesn't make the playoffs because of its 9hole hitter.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 05:35 AM)
And I'm sure Jon Garland would want to waive that no trade clause to go to Philly.

I still think a lot of teams would rather take the SP though, if Garland was performing at his 2005 level. Not that I'm saying Rowand isn't valuable at all, but getting a good SP who's signed for 3 years would be extremely valuable for a lot of teams.

I'm sure if you looked at say the Yankees, if Garland was performing like he did last season, he could actually be their #1 starter right now.

Can you really give one legitimate reason why he'd want to go to Philly? I can't think of one.

And the problem with your logic here is Garland is not pitching like he did in '05 and he never had before '05. If he was pitching the way he did last year for most of his career he'd be making even more money and would be far too valuable to the Sox. But hey, the guy who took over Garland's body last year is not the same guy we had for 5 years previous and this year. He's a 100ERA+ pitcher not a 127.

So he is locked down until 2008. Lets stop talking about Rowands comeback now. The Phillies wanted him, and they will not let go of him anytime soon. Its frusterating seeing Anderson's bat. But he still does play good defense, and our offense is not our problem. Its the damn middle relief!

Struggles that we should'nt worry too much about: Uribe and Anderson's bat.

Struggles that we SHOULD worry about: OUR BULLPEN! The bullpen alone has cost them at least 10 games this year already.

*pukes*

I'm sick of the Rowand manlove and the trade proposals for him. Plus, I don't think anyone wants to have those 5th starter problems back up again that we had prior to last year. McCarthy stinks this year and I think switching him back into the rotation will hurt us more than Garland has.

Stick with the team, and see what we need in 2 more weeks. The way I look at it, we need more and more bullpen help.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 01:00 PM)
*pukes*

I'm sick of the Rowand manlove and the trade proposals for him. Plus, I don't think anyone wants to have those 5th starter problems back up again that we had prior to last year. McCarthy stinks this year and I think switching him back into the rotation will hurt us more than Garland has.

Stick with the team, and see what we need in 2 more weeks. The way I look at it, we need more and more bullpen help.

Do you honestly believe McCarthy would not be able to put up a 6 ERA in a starting role for the rest of the season? I don't think there's any way he'd even have one in the 5's.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 01:08 PM)
Garland is improving, Bmac has shown me nothing thus far.

Maybe that's because he's being used sporadically at a position (MR) that he's never played before, hard to show any improvement under those conditions. It's also pretty damn hard to say that Garland is improving after one mediocre start and then 1 good one.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 06:08 PM)
Garland is improving, Bmac has shown me nothing thus far.

Where is the crack pipe? I need some of that stuff so I can see things your way.

First off, B-Mac's role should NOT be a reliever, nor should it be a spot start guy. He's come all the way through as a starter. His future is a starter, knowing that he will get the ball every five days.

His ass was in the bullpen not being used "just in case they needed him for a spot start"... and of course he's going to not have the control he should when all of a sudden they reverse course on him and start putting him back into relief situations. This is the team's fault, not McCarthy's. They are misusing him BIG-TIME.

Garland is improving, but he won't be able to touch McCarthy long-term.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jun 3, 2006 -> 01:39 PM)
Oh god, this is going to blow up fast on here.

And people Garland CAN'T be traded this year.

You are correct but his ass is gone in offseason! :pray

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 12:59 PM)
Where is the crack pipe? I need some of that stuff so I can see things your way.

First off, B-Mac's role should NOT be a reliever, nor should it be a spot start guy. He's come all the way through as a starter. His future is a starter, knowing that he will get the ball every five days.

His ass was in the bullpen not being used "just in case they needed him for a spot start"... and of course he's going to not have the control he should when all of a sudden they reverse course on him and start putting him back into relief situations. This is the team's fault, not McCarthy's. They are misusing him BIG-TIME.

Garland is improving, but he won't be able to touch McCarthy long-term.

Pass the pipe over here. BMac is being abused real bad. Can't blame him when they use him once a week at best. I think K. Kennedy has been sucking on the pipe. If the Phillies traded Rowand, the city of Philadelphia would riot. They love the guy. Anderson's not the problem. There are a lot of guys who aren't getting it done with men on base.

QUOTE(Colorado Sox Fan @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 10:59 PM)
Pass the pipe over here. BMac is being abused real bad. Can't blame him when they use him once a week at best. I think K. Kennedy has been sucking on the pipe. If the Phillies traded Rowand, the city of Philadelphia would riot. They love the guy. Anderson's not the problem. There are a lot of guys who aren't getting it done with men on base.

Exactly

Play Anderson more in CF. Our lagging defense has been a major problem and having Mack out there is not helping things (although Anderson did have a rough day out in CF today). Our bullpen is horrid, Politte can't get a batter out and Ozzie has failed to use Bmac more. Bmac needs to be worked consistently to get into some sort of a rhythm. Either Ozzie needs to do that now or we need to send him to AAA to get in a groove. And please, get Hrniak back over here to get Uribe to do the leg kick again (obviously he's not listening to Walker's advice).

QUOTE(Soxfest @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 12:24 AM)
You are correct but his ass is gone in offseason! :pray

I doubt that. As much as I would like to drive Garland out of Chicago myself, if Williams were to realistically trade him we'd have to: first, eat a substantial portion of his salary; and secondly, accept the nice shiney collection of Coasta Rican baseballs the other teams sends over. Atleast with Garcia we could expect several good prospects in return.

Honestly, in my perfect world, Garcia AND Garland would be gone after this season. First order of business would be to trade Garica to a National League ballclub and rape their minor league system. From the ashes arises our Liriano, who emerges to replace Garcia. The baseballs received for Garland would be enough, since we would no longer have to put up with his maddening inconsistency. Personally, I would haven't to hear people tell me how well he pitched, and how the boxscore didn't tell the whole story after giving up 5ER.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 07:02 PM)
Honestly, in my perfect world, Garcia AND Garland would be gone after this season. First order of business would be to trade Garica to a National League ballclub and rape their minor league system. From the ashes arises our Liriano, who emerges to replace Garcia. The baseballs received for Garland would be enough, since we would no longer have to put up with his maddening inconsistency. Personally, I would haven't to hear people tell me how well he pitched, and how the boxscore didn't tell the whole story after giving up 5ER.

If Garcia keeps his ERA in the high 4's for the rest of the season, are we really going to be able to trade him and "rape" another team's farm system?

That other team could just dip into the FA market.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 02:31 AM)
Can you really give one legitimate reason why he'd want to go to Philly? I can't think of one.

And the problem with your logic here is Garland is not pitching like he did in '05 and he never had before '05. If he was pitching the way he did last year for most of his career he'd be making even more money and would be far too valuable to the Sox. But hey, the guy who took over Garland's body last year is not the same guy we had for 5 years previous and this year. He's a 100ERA+ pitcher not a 127.

Of course Garland wouldn't want to go to Philly. Don't know if you caught me being sarcastic in my previous post.

As far your thoughts on Garland well I know there's 2 types of people here on Soxtalk who either like him and think he'll rebound, and those who don't like him and don't think he will.

I was encouraged by his last start. Yeah he's making some errors still hanging that change, but only conceeding 2 runs against a very good hitting Texas lineup is a step in the right direction. Hopefully that can continue. His ERA was 5.40 in May and currently it's 4.05 this month after 1 month.

And now the Philly Inquirer is reportin on it;

The latest trade rumor has the Phillies returning centerfielder Aaron Rowand to the Chicago White Sox for righthander Jon Garland. Let's look at three reasons the Phillies won't make this trade:

1. Garland has a 6.04 ERA.

2. He just signed a three-year, $29 million contract in December. He makes $10 million in 2007 and $12 million in 2008. Phillies GM Pat Gillick has talked often about payroll flexibility. It's doubtful he would take on such a contract, especially for a pitcher who is slumping. Garland's contract also includes a no-trade clause.

3. Perhaps most important, the Phils love Rowand.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 07:13 AM)
And now the Philly Inquirer is reportin on it;

It would seem a pipedream to send Garland away, and free up tons of money. I do think people should keep in mind Garland may very well be receptive to a trade to a team that is good. It won't be long before the Sox will be able to trade him anywhere, and he might chose a trade to a good team rather than refuse and risk going to an even less desirable place for him in the future.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 10:51 PM)
It would seem a pipedream to send Garland away, and free up tons of money. I do think people should keep in mind Garland may very well be receptive to a trade to a team that is good. It won't be long before the Sox will be able to trade him anywhere, and he might chose a trade to a good team rather than refuse and risk going to an even less desirable place for him in the future.

Right now if I was going to bank on a potential destination for Garland, I'd say the Padres. Chan Ho Park's $15M per season contract finishes up at the end of the season, and they don't have much in terms of starting pitching depth at all. And they fit into JG's So-Cal's roots as well.

You could offer JG and maybe Fields for a mega package built around Khalil Greene (although he ain't hitting too well this season) and Scott Linebrink possibly.

3. Perhaps most important, the Phils love Rowand.

who gives a s***..Chicago loved Aaron but that didnt stop KW. personally i think all these Philly fans are full of s***. They dont know him like we do and hes only been with them for 7 mnths and has been only playing for 2.

QUOTE(worldchampsox05 @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 09:45 AM)
who gives a s***..Chicago loved Aaron but that didnt stop KW. personally i think all these Philly fans are full of s***. They dont know him like we do and hes only been with them for 7 mnths and has been only playing for 2.

So why would they want to get rid of him? He's having a very solid year for them.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 03:42 PM)
I do not think the Sox are in any position to deal any sort of pitching.

Exactly. You trade Garland for Rowand (which will never happen for many reasons) and then McCarthy takes his spot. As poorly as McCarthy has pitched so far, I think he is a safer bet later in the season than Politte, Nelson and Montero. Kenny should be focusing on one thing and that is finding a right-handed set-up man. Without one before the deadline and our Sox are going to be struggling to make the playoffs.

QUOTE(worldchampsox05 @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 07:45 AM)

It's not the fans that are full of s***, it's their media. Rowand's likeable on many levels, but still he's a very mediocre hitter. Philly fans would NOT mutiny if they traded him, especially if it was for a starter with Jon's upside. I'll bet they'd be happier with Garland than Gavin Floyd, Ryan Madson, or a washed-up Jon Lieber.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 08:42 AM)
I do not think the Sox are in any position to deal any sort of pitching.

Definitely not until the end of the season.