Politte Expects to Be Activated on June 20th

Chisoxfn

That is when he is first eligible to come off the disabled list. This is according to the Trib, which reported that Politte has had two consecutive pain free long toss sessions. The Sox should know more on Thursday or Friday as he's scheduled to throw a bullpen session.

It sounds like he's got bone chips, but he thinks he can avoid surgery.

Here's a blurb from the Trib

After throwing long toss for a second consecutive day without severe pain in his right shoulder, reliever Cliff Politte is on schedule to be activated from the disabled list on June 20.

Politte believed he would be able to pitch despite bone spurs that create a "twitching" sensation when he makes certain movements. Politte believed he could avoid surgery. He is scheduled to throw his first bullpen session Thursday.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 02:31 AM)
That is when he is first eligible to come off the disabled list. This is according to the Trib, which reported that Politte has had two consecutive pain free long toss sessions. The Sox should know more on Thursday or Friday as he's scheduled to throw a bullpen session.

It sounds like he's got bone chips, but he thinks he can avoid surgery.

Here's a blurb from the Trib

Hopefully he regains his control after this little stint on the DL. I'm not even asking for a Cliff v. 2005, but a 3.50 ERA and a 1.20 WHIP would be really nice from one of the last guys in the pen.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 09:44 AM)
This could be interesting if both Tracey and Montero keep pitching decent. I imagine they would send down Tracey and keep him stretched out as a starter, but these guys are competing to see who stays and who gets a bus ticket to Charlotte.

Yeah that is a good point. Tracey has been more of a starter down at AAA obviously and Montero obviously has WAY better control right now, so I'd guess Montero stays and Tracey goes.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 09:44 AM)
This could be interesting if both Tracey and Montero keep pitching decent. I imagine they would send down Tracey and keep him stretched out as a starter, but these guys are competing to see who stays and who gets a bus ticket to Charlotte.

Besides his arm, an "angry, hungry Cliff" is what we need.

I think we cannot underestimate the effect a veteran influence would have on this bullpen.

Even with their playoff experience or solid performance so far in some cases this season, this is still a young group.

Last season, Dustin provided the bluck of that leadership out there. Without a trade, Cliff would need to set-up into that role more in the Bullpen or on the mound for the young guys.

Edited by RibbieRubarb

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 09:55 AM)
Besides his arm, an "angry, hungry Cliff" is what we need.

I think we cannot underestimate the effect a veteran influence would have on this bullpen.

Even with their playoff experience or solid performance so far in some cases this season, this is still a young group.

Last season, Dustin provided the bluck of that leadership out there. Without a trade, Cliff would need to set-up into that role more in the Bullpen or on the mound for the young guys.

I agree that an angry and hungry Cliff is better, but in baseball, leadership is only as good as on field performance, so he needs to pitch much better (and I think this DL stint will help aide that part of things).

I hope there is good RP out there to get via trade soon. Bone spurs causing "twinging" in the arm doesn't sound good. Early last year Politte was hitting 95-96 mph consistently. Late last year and all this year he is topping out around 91-92. In my opinion he isn't going to be the same guy as early last year until he has surgery to fix whatever is wrong. I wouldn't be shocked if he comes back and winds up going to the DL again shortly after that.

I don't like the idea of going through the stretch run with two rookies in the bullpen. I hope there is a good veteran arm or two that they can get before then. That bullpen is the achilles heel of this team right now.

Getting back Politte at even close to what he was like last year would be just as good as what we could get on the trade market without trading away our farm system for a big named closer type guy. Politte healthy and ready to go would be a huge shot in the arm, for a pen that has quietly looked a lot better since Nelson and Politte left Chicago. I don't know if it will keep or not, but the pen seems to be a whole lot more effective over the short term with Bmac and Montero handling the set up and middle relief work from the right side.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 10:07 AM)
Getting back Politte at even close to what he was like last year would be just as good as what we could get on the trade market without trading away our farm system for a big named closer type guy. Politte healthy and ready to go would be a huge shot in the arm, for a pen that has quietly looked a lot better since Nelson and Politte left Chicago. I don't know if it will keep or not, but the pen seems to be a whole lot more effective over the short term with Bmac and Montero handling the set up and middle relief work from the right side.

I'd be happy if Cliff just got back to his career norms.

I'm prepared for the possibility that Politte is washed up. I'm not scared of that possibility because of the recent outings from BMAC. If the pen just has 3 guys capable of pitching well (Cotts, BMAC, Jenks) then the other 3 guys aren't that relevent. Sure, they might lose a game or two, but the season doesn't hinge those 3 guys in any real sense of importance.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 10:20 AM)
I'm prepared for the possibility that Politte is washed up. I'm not scared of that possibility because of the recent outings from BMAC. If the pen just has 3 guys capable of pitching well (Cotts, BMAC, Jenks) then the other 3 guys aren't that relevent. Sure, they might lose a game or two, but the season doesn't hinge those 3 guys in any real sense of importance.

Those two guys are the key to the whole season imo.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 08:23 AM)
I agree Rowand. Those two guys are good enough to give you 3 innings of shut down ball every other game. That's the beginning and end of what this team needs out of it's bullpen: not dominance, just competence.

Also people, don't forget...our bullpen has pitched by far the fewest innings of any bullpen in baseball, so if our 6th guy out of the bullpen isn't doing a dynamite job, he usually only shows up when the game's an 8 run game anyway.

That's an amazing stat Balta! I would never have thought that as poorly as some of the starters have pitched that that would be the case.

It helps the point I think a few of use are making though: the 6th man will almost only see actions in blowouts where the outcome is already 99.9% decided.

Thornton has proven himself capable of being the LOOGY and perhaps more, so I'm wondering who exactly is the "6th" man at this point: I'd have to guess Tracey or maybe Montero. Although when Politte comes back I wouldn't mind it being him.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 09:31 AM)
That's an amazing stat Balta! I would never have thought that as poorly as some of the starters have pitched that that would be the case.

It helps the point I think a few of use are making though: the 6th man will almost only see actions in blowouts where the outcome is already 99.9% decided.

Thornton has proven himself capable of being the LOOGY and perhaps more, so I'm wondering who exactly is the "6th" man at this point: I'd have to guess Tracey or maybe Montero. Although when Politte comes back I wouldn't mind it being him.

Bullpen Innings pitched:

Kansas City 227

Baltimore 220

NY Mets 215

Chicago Cubs 214

Oakland 172.1

San Fransisco 170

Chicago White Sox 152.2.

Politte's bone spurs are going to be a continuing problem, regardless of how he pitches when he first comes off the DL. That's because he will get shelled again, sooner or later, and when he does, it will put doubt in Politte's mind that he can do it, and Ozzie's mind whether he can trust him.

By skipping surgery and trying to pitch through it, we are getting anywhere from 70-90% of a healthy Politte. And when you add in the fact that last year was the aberation, 70-90% of the career norm of Politte (4.06 ERA and 1.316 WHIP, even after adding in 2.06 ERA and .936 WHIP of 2005), is not something you can build a world champion bullpen around.

So, I'm all for giving Cliff an opportunity to rebound and prove himself in non-critical situations after he comes off the DL, but if I were KW, I wouldn't stop looking for a reliable right handed bullpen addition over the next month.

On Trade Winds I suggested bringing back Luis Vizcaino. Scary in its own right, I understand. But he seems better to me than most of the other options that have been mentioned so far.

Edited by VAfan

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 10:06 AM)
On Trade Winds I suggested bringing back Jose Vizcaino. Scary in its own right, I understand. But he seems better to me than most of the other options that have been mentioned so far.

If we're gonna put a Shortstop into the bullpen, why not use Pablo?

After throwing long toss for a second consecutive day without severe pain in his right shoulder, reliever Cliff Politte is on schedule to be activated from the disabled list on June 20.

Did anyone notice that word? It's saying that he's still having pain in his should when he pitches, it's just not severe. Hell, it might as well say he pitched without excruciating pain. It's not saying too much.

QUOTE(knightni @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 04:55 PM)
I don't like it.

The Sox need to make a move before he tries to pitch through his pain.

60-DL him and let him have surgery now so that he can get ready for the ALDS like Maroth is doing.

Strongly agree.

Mediocrity doesn't win Championships; Dominance does.

QUOTE(PaleHose4Life35 @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 08:53 AM)
I think this DL stint will help Politte just like it helped Crede last season. I'm not expecting a Crede type of turnaround but if he improves his numbers a little bit he'll help out that bullpen.

Even if he improves "a little" he'll still be completely worthless. With a 7.40 ERA, Cliff needs to improve A LOT to be of any use.