Jason Schmidt

bschmaranz

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two points.

1.) KW is aggressive, prospects are just chess pieces for him.

on the other hand.

2.) Bmac is not a prospect, and KW has said he doesnt just want to win one year, he wants to continue winning here like the Braves. To do that he will need cheap interchangable parts to mix with veteran talent. Bmac and Anderson fit into that mold.

I think that Vazquez is a goner. Vaz was picked up as protection if either the Count or Garland decided to walk after this year. With both of them signed to long term deals, see you Vazquez. Let Bmac take his role. He is already better than Vaz.

Edited by southsideirish71

Any proposed deal involving McCarthy to San Francisco shouldn't even be discussed beyond a message board.

This man Sabean has literally been fleeced about every trade and offseason acquisition the last several years, and we're going to offer McCarthy and Anderson for Schmidt? You've got to be s***ting me!

How about we give him s***, take Schmidt, and run off like every other general manager seemingly does. It literally sickens me to even hear those two names mentioned with a man who can't evaluate fair trades worth a damn. Atleast dating back to their World Series run.

Schmidt has recovered well from arm troubles, but I don't trust his long term durability. If we were to compare Schmidt/McCarthy side-by-side from a potential trade onwards, I would guarantee McCarthy overtakes Schmidt by the third season and never looks back.

Don't be an idiot Williams. Either offer Sabean garbage and hope he accepts or move on.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 12:01 PM)
We're 14th in starters' ERA?!

People saying we're 4th must be the ERA of the entire pitching staff. 14th is terrible for how much money they're making and the expectations we have for them.

Interestingly, both are right. We're 4th in terms of starters ERA in the AL, we're 14th in terms of starters ERA in MLB. But since the NL doesn't have that DH, with the exception of the phenomenal year being had by Detroit, usually NL teams will find themselves having lower ERA's than AL teams.

(Oh, and we dropped from 4th to 6th in terms of AL starter's ERA yesterday, unfortunately.)

Edited by Balta1701

Schmidt would be unhittable after Coop worked his magic with him, considering he's been pretty good without him. Coop could also work with Rowand. The White Sox would never lose.

Say these reports are true. Wouldn't it be ironic that the guy who couldn't hit in 2003 which made KW go out and grab a DH to play CF, would be the guy KW traded for because his current CF isn't hitting? I'll say it again, as bad as Anderson has been offensively, his OBP is only .037 lower than the great Aaron Rowand's. I would just let Anderson play, or get someone better than Rowand.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 02:07 PM)
Interestingly, both are right. We're 4th in terms of starters ERA in the AL, we're 14th in terms of starters ERA in MLB. But since the NL doesn't have that DH, with the exception of the phenomenal year being had by Detroit, usually NL teams will find themselves having lower ERA's than AL teams.

(Oh, and we dropped from 4th to 6th in terms of AL starter's ERA yesterday, unfortunately.)

So, who else are we behind now? I know the Angels, A's, and Tigers.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 02:26 PM)
So, who else are we behind now? I know the Angels, A's, and Tigers.

1.) Tigers - 3.46

2.) Angels - 4.07

3.) A's - 4.20

4.) Yankees - 4.30

5.) Twins - 4.36

6.) White Sox - 4.44

7.) Mariners - 4.45

8.) Red Sox - 4.54

9.) Rangers - 4.63

10.) Blue Jays - 4.66

11.) Indians - 4.74

12.) Devil Rays - 4.82

13.) Orioles - 5.29

14.) Royals - 5.79

I didn't even think it was possible to have a 5.79 team ERA.

Vazquez and a good ML pitcher (Broadway) to the Mets for Milledge (sp?) ----Doesn't Vazquez have to be traded out east or something like that. Mets rotation is not that good.

Milledge and Fields for Schmidt.

Essentially Vazquez, Fields and Broadway for Schmidt. Assuming KW is given the 72 resign window with Schmidt.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 02:35 PM)
Vazquez and a good ML pitcher (Broadway) to the Mets for Milledge (sp?) ----Doesn't Vazquez have to be traded out east or something like that. Mets rotation is not that good.

Milledge and Fields for Schmidt.

Essentially Vazquez, Fields and Broadway for Schmidt. Assuming KW is given the 72 resign window with Schmidt.

Ugh, that's just horrid.

Chris Young, Orlando Hernandez, Luis Vizcaino, Josh Fields and Lance Broadway for a 33 year old Jason Schmidt.

That's 3 top prospects, an excellent bullpen arm and a #5 starter for a guy who is no where near a gaurantee to succeed this year.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 02:38 PM)
Ugh, that's just horrid.

Chris Young, Orlando Hernandez, Luis Vizcaino, Josh Fields and Lance Broadway for a 33 year old Jason Schmidt.

That's 3 top prospects, an excellent bullpen arm and a #5 starter for a guy who is no where near a gaurantee to succeed this year.

Yeah, that is vomit-ous.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 02:32 PM)
1.) Tigers - 3.46

2.) Angels - 4.07

3.) A's - 4.20

4.) Yankees - 4.30

5.) Twins - 4.36

6.) White Sox - 4.44

7.) Mariners - 4.45

8.) Red Sox - 4.54

9.) Rangers - 4.63

10.) Blue Jays - 4.66

11.) Indians - 4.74

12.) Devil Rays - 4.82

13.) Orioles - 5.29

14.) Royals - 5.79

I didn't even think it was possible to have a 5.79 team ERA.

I don't like that the only playoff team with a worse ERA than us just beat us pretty easily in a 3-game series.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 02:45 PM)
I don't like that the only playoff team with a worse ERA than us just beat us pretty easily in a 3-game series.

Did you watch the series?

They didnt beat us easily. We didnt execute. Its not like we got destroyed over a 3 game period and we were just outclassed and outshined.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 03:38 PM)
Ugh, that's just horrid.

I agree, that is horrible and would be completely counter-productive.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 02:48 PM)
Did you watch the series?

They didnt beat us easily. We didnt execute. Its not like we got destroyed over a 3 game period and we were just outclassed and outshined.

They kicked the crap out of us in, I think, the first game. And just to avoid the sweep, we had to play for 19 innings.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 02:54 PM)
They kicked the crap out of us in, I think, the first game. And just to avoid the sweep, we had to play for 19 innings.

We easily take 2/3 if we don't choke away multiple scoring opportunities in which we could've blown each of the two games we lost wide open. Boston is a good team. I didn't need to see them take 2/3 from us to know that. But winning a series in early July doesn't make them better.

So wait, the Mets aren't even sure that they want to give up Milledge for Zito, and we're going to get him for Vazquez, then decide we don't want him and deal him for Schmidt? Hell, if we could pull off the first part of that deal, hold onto the kid!

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 03:03 PM)
We easily take 2/3 if we don't choke away multiple scoring opportunities in which we could've blown each of the two games we lost wide open. Boston is a good team. I didn't need to see them take 2/3 from us to know that. But winning a series in early July doesn't make them better.

I simply said all of the other playoff teams have better team ERA's than we do, and the one team that doesn't just beat us anyway. Just a little negativity from the fountain of pessimism on Soxtalk.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 03:03 PM)

Boston could say the same thing about yesterday's game. Remember Ortiz swinging 3-0? That game could have been over.

Boston left much more men on base in the Saturday and Sunday games. They had one less guy left on base on Friday but that was a 7-2 game anyway.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 04:15 PM)
Boston could say the same thing about yesterday's game. Remember Ortiz swinging 3-0? That game could have been over.

Boston left much more men on base in the Saturday and Sunday games. They had one less guy left on base on Friday but that was a 7-2 game anyway.

That's fine. All I'm saying is one series in early July doesn't make them a better team.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 02:16 PM)
Schmidt would be unhittable after Coop worked his magic with him, considering he's been pretty good without him. Coop could also work with Rowand. The White Sox would never lose.

Say these reports are true. Wouldn't it be ironic that the guy who couldn't hit in 2003 which made KW go out and grab a DH to play CF, would be the guy KW traded for because his current CF isn't hitting? I'll say it again, as bad as Anderson has been offensively, his OBP is only .037 lower than the great Aaron Rowand's. I would just let Anderson play, or get someone better than Rowand.

this is soxtalk...nobody is better than rowand

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 01:56 PM)
Scmidt is older, overpriced, and has been iffy the last few years, plus the move to US Cellular would kick his era up more than one point. We would benefit more by putting BMAC into the rotation, moving Vaz in a deal, picking up a reliever and keeping BA. Both the cost, and the benefits are better that way. Stupid rumor, I think someone read their email from last year and posted the same s***.

i actually think it makes sense but not for mcarthy and or Andersen. Certainly what we have seen from KW is his ability to target certain players and get them....eventually. Getting scmidt for three months for arguably our two best young players doesn't seem to fit. What does make sense is KW's target of schmidt. Certainly we could get him for other prospects.

actually I would trade vasquez and a prospect for schmidt. Vasquez would probably do a run better on his ERA in the NL and in effect give the giants a veteran player. We grab schmidt, and if we don't resign him next year we move mcarthy in the rotation and get 2 first round picks.

Lets try to shy away from the ideas like milledge which are less than speculation....i dont want this to turn into another one of those types of threads.....sticking to what we know at least has a possibility to be true....KW would potentially have another deal for a CF if this went down....Rowand was pure speculation, but here's another name that I wouldn't mind seeing...Eric Byrnes...he's a perfect KW type grinder, will be cheap in a trade probably, and Arizona will certainly look to get rid of him with Chris young knocking on the door..the Arizona Republic said he will be trade bait as well...solid numbers....292 .352 OBP .522 SLG 12 HR 23 2b and 10/11 in SBs

McCarthy did good yesterday from what I hear, but damn, you guys are on his nuts. Yesterday didn't change the fact that overall, he's been sucky this season and he has yet to show that he is good for more than a few starts in a season. Sorry for not conforming and ready to label this guy as the Messiah.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 08:31 PM)
McCarthy did good yesterday from what I hear, but damn, you guys are on his nuts. Yesterday didn't change the fact that overall, he's been sucky this season and he has yet to show that he is good for more than a few starts in a season. Sorry for not conforming and ready to label this guy as the Messiah.

He hasn't been as good as expected, but saying he's been "sucky" is laughable. Decent era, whip, and strikeouts -- from the long man, who can't go all out for 1 inning and hang it up. Why haven't we sent his ass down to aaa yet?

Noone's saying he's the "Messiah", just that he's the ONLY cheap, dependable pitcher we have ready. We're talking 10 million dollars of payroll flexibility for 3 years or so. So until I hear how $10 million for free agents and trades does not help us, I'm gonna say that BMac is DAMN valuable.

I remember Rick Hahn saying BMac would bring back a "king's ransom" in a trade. This was before he opened everyone's eyes in spring training 2005. I don't think BMac has done anything to drop his stock. He's still learning his way, and is a future #1 or #2 starter IMO. He's been better at the beginning of his career than Greg Maddux was at the beginning of his. It would be unfair to say BMac has that much promise, but I do like pitchers who aren't easy to hit, and have good control.