White Sox close to acquiring Soriano

Brian

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 06:54 PM)
I thought that got postponed!

Damn games, always screwing with the purity of the game.

i know, right? MLB should just give the players off for the entire week leading up to the trading deadline, and fill the entire week up with nothing but conjecture and trade rumors. :P :D

QUOTE(spiderman @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 06:57 PM)
ESPN was orginally reporting that Brandon McCarthy was involved - obviously, that turned out to wrong as Kenny Williams denied that McCarthy would be traded.

Saying that, I wonder if ESPN jumped on this story without having their facts straight, and all of the other news organizations, including our 2 local sports stations just jumped on the national story.

What say you ?

Its the dog chasing the cat chasing the mouse chasing the flea chasing the dog

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(spiderman @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 06:57 PM)
ESPN was orginally reporting that Brandon McCarthy was involved - obviously, that turned out to wrong as Kenny Williams denied that McCarthy would be traded.

Saying that, I wonder if ESPN jumped on this story without having their facts straight, and all of the other news organizations, including our 2 local sports stations just jumped on the national story.

What say you ?

I read two reports. One surrounding Brandon and another involving Fields and Broadway. With Crede becoming our staple at 2rd, that makes Fields expendable and Broadway is 2 or 3 years away from contributing. They could probably throw in Rogowski if KW had to.

But who knows. Nobody will know until it becomes official if at all.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 07:16 PM)
Any link to report 2?

Think it may of been Rosenthal's updated report. Can't find it now, maybe he took it down and updated again.

The interesting thing is that the original rumor was linked to the MacDougal report.

The MacDougal deal actually happened, which legitimizes the source.

So either the source was pretty close originally, and Kenny backed off because of BMac, or this was a rumor leaked by the White Sox conveniently attached to accurate information regarding MacDougal to give it legitimacy.

Well let's see.....

Sandy to the Sox....did we hear much of anything? no.

MacDougal to the Sox...did we hear much of anything? no.

Goes to show you that you never know what Kenny plans on doing next....

QUOTE(CWSOX45 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 07:42 PM)
Well let's see.....

Sandy to the Sox....did we hear much of anything? no.

MacDougal to the Sox...did we hear much of anything? no.

Goes to show you that you never know what Kenny plans on doing next....

....and the stuff you 'hear' he's gonna do, never happpens.

If we do acquire Soriano, I think we will trade him to the Angels.

There was a rumor that Kenny wanted Chone Figgins, and the Angels have a lot of young talent to restock the Sox farm system, if we acquire Soriano that's what I want Kenny to do.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 07:28 PM)
The interesting thing is that the original rumor was linked to the MacDougal report.

The MacDougal deal actually happened, which legitimizes the source.

So either the source was pretty close originally, and Kenny backed off because of BMac, or this was a rumor leaked by the White Sox conveniently attached to accurate information regarding MacDougal to give it legitimacy.

great point

QUOTE(CWSOX45 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 07:58 PM)
If we do acquire Soriano, I think we will trade him to the Angels.

There was a rumor that Kenny wanted Chone Figgins, and the Angels have a lot of young talent to restock the Sox farm system, if we acquire Soriano that's what I want Kenny to do.

I highly doubt he'd turn around and trade him to another AL contender, especially the Angels.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 08:09 PM)
I highly doubt he'd turn around and trade him to another AL contender, especially the Angels.

Well it's the only way this deal makes sense, I don't know who else is interested. The only way I see us keeping Soriano is if we sign him to an extension....

QUOTE(CWSOX45 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 08:10 PM)
Well it's the only way this deal makes sense, I don't know who else is interested. The only way I see us keeping Soriano is if we sign him to an extension....

I get the vibe that any possible deal is contingent on us re-signing Soriano.

QUOTE(CWSOX45 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 08:10 PM)

I don't know that Kenny would make this move unless he intended and knew that he could sign Soriano. I just don't see Kenny renting a player or this caliber. It costs too much. I mean he even signed Everett for one year the second time around.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 09:13 PM)
Could someone just give me the latest? I have been gone since 4:30, so if someone could just tell me what the news is now I would appreciate it? 42 pages is just too much.

Same here. I just got home from work, and I did read that KW said that BMac is going no where under no circumstances, but is there anything else to note?

QUOTE(Felix @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 08:14 PM)
Same here. I just got home from work, and I did read that KW said that BMac is going no where under no circumstances, but is there anything else to note?

Any updates from Sportscenter, Levine or Ofman?

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 08:13 PM)
Could someone just give me the latest? I have been gone since 4:30, so if someone could just tell me what the news is now I would appreciate it? 42 pages is just too much.

In all honesty, not much has happened since the ESPN report from this afternoon. Kenny has outright denied any intention to trade McCarthy, so, based on the limited amount of knowledge available, either the deal is dead or Kenny is developing another package to offer.

QUOTE(Sox It To Em @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 08:16 PM)
In all honesty, not much has happened since the ESPN report from this afternoon. Kenny has outright denied any intention to trade McCarthy, so, based on the limited amount of knowledge available, either the deal is dead or Kenny is developing another package to offer.

Thanks.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 08:16 PM)
Any updates from Sportscenter, Levine or Ofman?

Basically, nothing has changed since 2:30.

Except.

1.) Williams said McCarthy is not going to be traded, he also told Brandon that he will not be traded.

2.) The Sox have 2 less trading chips to work with (Lumsden, Cortez)

That is all.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 08:18 PM)
Basically, nothing has changed since 2:30.

Except.

1.) Williams said McCarthy is not going to be traded, he also told Brandon that he will not be traded.

2.) The Sox have 2 less trading chips to work with (Lumsden, Cortez)

That is all.

QFT.

I said this earlier, but I think it bears mentioning again.

Ken Rosenthal is normally all over the deals that actually happen. When something gets close, he seems to be the guy who breaks it first.

He hasn't written a damn thing today at all.

I find that extremely strange.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 06:13 PM)

Latest is that Kenny has said he won't trade any of his starters and that includes Brandon. Talks have cooled and its believed that the Sosx are interested in Soriano, but only want to give up prospects. One persons source (Fathoms) mentioned that the deal may have broke down because of contract talks involving a no trade clause (Sox not wanting to give it).

There has also been other talk the Kenny would get Soriano and than spin him off (of course if we were in fact negotiating a contract, that would dispell those talks).