Speculation about Pods

Al Lopez's Ghost

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Aug 17, 2006 -> 11:36 PM)
I don't hate/dislike him eigher. Will always be someone I respected for what he did in 2005. But his time has ran out basically. There's nothing more he can really bring to the table like he did in early 2005. I have backed him alot as well, but we all know he probably won'nt be back. He still has Dergan though so don't feel too bad.. ;)

Pods is the classic "track athlete on a baseball diamond". He really has no baseball skills. He's fast and can slap some singles. He has no baseball intuition both on defense and at the plate. Hasn't shown anything on the bases this year other than incompetance either.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Aug 17, 2006 -> 10:38 PM)
Pods is the classic "track athlete on a baseball diamond". He really has no baseball skills. He's fast and can slap some singles. He has no baseball intuition both on defense and at the plate. Hasn't shown anything on the bases this year other than incompetance either.

And you hope you can convince a pisspoor GM like Brian Sabean that he is still a spark and is still a good ballplayer, and maybe get an arm or two out of him.

QUOTE(gosox41 @ Aug 17, 2006 -> 10:38 PM)
I'll start the speculation. I think the Sox will pursue Juan Pierre. Not saying it's a great move, but based on his history with Ozzie and the fact that he may only requier a $5-6 mill per season contract makes it interesting.

Bob

Yep, this is just about the worst case scenerio in my book. They'll go out and sign Juan Pierre to a nice sized 4 year deal and the team will be worse off for having done it.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Aug 18, 2006 -> 03:42 AM)
And you hope you can convince a pisspoor GM like Brian Sabean that he is still a spark and is still a good ballplayer, and maybe get an arm or two out of him.

I know that farm system basically 'developed' Liriano and Matt Cain, but there isn't a whole lot of 'prospects' in that organization. They're in some trouble as the post-Bonds era begins next year.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 17, 2006 -> 10:50 PM)
I know that farm system basically 'developed' Liriano and Matt Cain, but there isn't a whole lot of 'prospects' in that organization. They're in some trouble as the post-Bonds era begins next year.

Post-Bonds is going to be rough in the Bay Area, atleast for the Giants. I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted to bring a new GM in to just start completely clean.

They have to have some type of raw potential though. They have developed a friggin ton of arms in the past 10 years, so there almost has to be something.

QUOTE(gosox41 @ Aug 17, 2006 -> 10:38 PM)
I'll start the speculation. I think the Sox will pursue Juan Pierre. Not saying it's a great move, but based on his history with Ozzie and the fact that he may only requier a $5-6 mill per season contract makes it interesting.

Bob

Can Pierre play left at all?

QUOTE(MHizzle85 @ Aug 17, 2006 -> 11:05 PM)
Can Pierre play left at all?

He's not a horrible defensive CF due to his great recovery speed so he could probably hold his own in LF fielding wise. He however, has one of the worst arms in the history of organized baseball. He'll catch a ball in mid to shallow centerfield and put the ball on the ground before the infield grass. I for one do not want another low OBP, low BA, no power, high SB, pussy armed leftfielder, especially one who's going to be making 5-8 million per year over the next 4 seasons.

I just hope Pods gets it going the rest of the way.

We need him if we want to make the playoffs.

I won't be sad to see him leave, but like somebody posted on here

the other day, we really are a different team when he gets on base

and has a good game. And he has had some good games this year.

It's not like we're 20 under .500.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 18, 2006 -> 02:18 AM)
Not a rumor, just something I'm gonna throw out there.

Garcia + Podsednik in a deal centered around David Eckstein?

hmm, who would you want to put in LF in 07? Sweeney or Fields?

and who do you deal Uribe to?

Also Eckstein isn't very adapt at stealing a bag 7SB/6CS.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 18, 2006 -> 02:18 AM)
Not a rumor, just something I'm gonna throw out there.

Garcia + Podsednik in a deal centered around David Eckstein?

What exactly would that accomplish? He's basically a shorter Podsednik with a weaker arm who plays shortstop and doesn't stealbases. Not to mention, all you ever hear from Cardinal fans is how overrated his defense is.

Based on his final 2 years in the AL I'd expect numbers similar to these from David:

.260/.330/.330/.660 + 16 SBs, that's pretty horrible.

I'd love to see us go after Frank Catalanotto. He's a FA after this season, and a career .300/.365 guy who is pretty patient at the dish, has a little pop (which would be aided in The Cell), is a lefty, could hit leadoff, and can play an average LF on defense. He's 32 and has some injury issues, but hey the last COF with injury issues that we took a risk on has worked out pretty well too.

Plus, with Johnson, Rios, and Wells as their future OF, Toronto would let him go since he doesn't put up typical DH power and that's where they'd have to put him if they keep him long term. I doubt we'd do it though, he's not fast enough for Ozzie to hit leadoff. Thus bring me Julio Lugo or bring me death I guess.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 18, 2006 -> 03:12 AM)
All the terrible at bats, the fact he's never on base, isn't always focused in the field, and his generally wildly inconsistent play may have something to do with it :).

I agree. But off topic... I sure did love those last 2 plays of the World Series. Ok Back to the part I agree with you about.

Edited by rangercal

QUOTE(rangercal @ Aug 18, 2006 -> 03:13 AM)
I agree. But off topic... I sure did love those last 2 plays of the World Series. Ok Back to the part I agree with you about.

If he focused on defense like he did that entire postseason and used the leg kick swing and went to right field like he did that entire postseason, Uribe would be an untouchable. But he does neither, so HE GAWN! (probably).

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 18, 2006 -> 03:21 AM)
If he focused on defense like he did that entire postseason and used the leg kick swing and went to right field like he did that entire postseason, Uribe would be an untouchable. But he does neither, so HE GAWN! (probably).

do your parents know your up so late? Uribe will be just fine. He will be on the south side for a few more years. Dig this post up if I'm wrong. But What I could do is, dig up thousands of posts of speculation, here on soxtalk , the last few years, that never came true.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Aug 18, 2006 -> 03:25 AM)
do your parents know your up so late? Uribe will be just fine. He will be on the south side for a few more years. Dig this post up if I'm wrong. But What I could do is, dig up thousands of posts of speculation, here on soxtalk , the last few years, that never came true.

Sloshed

QUOTE(rangercal @ Aug 18, 2006 -> 04:02 AM)
kalapse, I need my ID back. You said you would only use it to buy a 6ixer. I can't wait until 2010 when you will be of legal drinking age. I'm tired of helping out your habit.

You give me no f***ing credit, my ass turns 21 in the magnificent year of '08.