Official 2006-2007 NBA Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jan 20, 2007 -> 03:26 PM)
I'll be at the UC tonight, too bad I won't be able to see the Rev on the Jazz bench. :(

Bulls need this game.

The #1 seed is there for the taking. I wish Duhon would go away and Big Ben would really get hurt though (not seriously, just enough so he doesn't play for a long while), this team is better with the 2 rookies getting those minutes.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 20, 2007 -> 03:29 PM)
The #1 seed is there for the taking. I wish Duhon would go away and Big Ben would really get hurt though, this team is better with the 2 rookies getting those minutes.

Tyrus is actaully growing on me, never would have expected that.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jan 20, 2007 -> 03:29 PM)

He is a complete basketball dumbass, but if he learns how to play at all, he's going to be awfully good. And the fact that Thabo hasn't taken all of Duhon's minutes yet makes me want to punch Skiles in the throat.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jan 20, 2007 -> 03:29 PM)

Gotta agree with you on that one. Of course Roy is playing well in Portland and Morrison is just as big of a b**** as we knew he would be so a few things are going right thus far. I didn't think I'd enjoy watching a 6-9 PF with no offensive game or basketball IQ but I have. The time he's on the floor is just fun to watch..

Very interesting piece from Peter Vecsey on the Bulls and Pau Gasol;

Infallible informers report Grizzlies president Jerry West has explored prospective trade arrangements with at least three teams regarding Gasol. In order to protect my sources, the only one I'm willing to identify for the time being is the Bulls.

That may be enough. Obviously, Gasol's low-dock dealing (averaged 18.5 points on 50.5 field-goal accuracy his first five seasons as a pro before missing most of this season due to foot surgery) is what Chicago's off-shore drilling outfit needs.

The Bulls also own what Memphis wants, namely Luol Deng ($2.6 million) and Ben Gordon ($3.86M). In order to satisfy salary/transaction specs, Chicago would have to include P.J. Brown ($8.56M). I'm told the Grizzlies are prepared to add Hakim Warrick ($1.2M) to a pot that so far does not include draft picks; Gasol currently is on the books for $12.8M and is owed $63M over the next four seasons.

That's as far as the exchange of ideas has progressed, so I'm told. As enthralled as Bulls vice president John Paxson surely must be by the opportunity to fill his team's lone conspicuous cavity, people in the organization claim he won't pull that particular trigger.

"Giving up Gordon and Deng would be very difficult," a Bulls insider insisted. "John will never go there. Not even if Scott Skiles and the rest of the coaching staff is beating on him to make that swap, which isn't the case."

As rapper DMX woofs, "Bad decisions lead to last decisions." Parting with the pair might prove to be just that bad, the same Bulls insider feels.

"Does Pau get you to the promised land minus both those players? We doubt it. He's an All-Star-caliber player, no question. But we're not sure he can be the best player on a playoff team expected to accomplish something significant," the insider said.

If the Bulls go strictly by what the Grizzlies failed to accomplish (0-12) in three straight playoff trips with Gasol as their leading scorer (20 ppg), I suppose that answers that. Rather than surrender both Gordon and Deng, I suspect Paxson prefers to roll the dice and hope inside force Tyrus Thomas matures faster than your average NBA toddler.

But don't misunderstand; this negotiation is only in its infancy. What's more, now that Gasol's availability is public, the bidding for his services figures to take a quantum leap.

Would you pull the trigger on that deal? Deng, Gordon and Brown for Gasol and Warrick. Don't forget also that Hakim Warrick was playing some pretty nice ball earlier on in the season too.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 21, 2007 -> 04:38 AM)

Would you pull the trigger on that deal? Deng, Gordon and Brown for Gasol and Warrick. Don't forget also that Hakim Warrick was playing some pretty nice ball earlier on in the season too.

No dice. I'd consider Noc and Gordon or giving up Tyrus Thomas and a package of some other guys but no way is Deng getting dealt. And ya, Warrick wouldn't be that bad, but he has a lot of holes in his game still.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 21, 2007 -> 06:38 AM)

Not a chance in hell, the second Gasol goes down with another injury the Bulls would be completely f***ed.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 22, 2007 -> 04:51 AM)
No dice. I'd consider Noc and Gordon or giving up Tyrus Thomas and a package of some other guys but no way is Deng getting dealt. And ya, Warrick wouldn't be that bad, but he has a lot of holes in his game still.

If the Bulls could do a say Nocioni, Gordon, Brown and Duhon for Gasol and Warrick, I think they should jump on that.

Not including Deng would probably be a deal breaker though, unless they're real high on Nocioni.

I just think if the Bulls could get that inside scorer, it could help put them over the top in the East (which is wide open this season).

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 21, 2007 -> 02:51 PM)
If the Bulls could do a say Nocioni, Gordon, Brown and Duhon for Gasol and Warrick, I think they should jump on that.

Not including Deng would probably be a deal breaker though, unless they're real high on Nocioni.

I just think if the Bulls could get that inside scorer, it could help put them over the top in the East (which is wide open this season).

No matter how much the Bulls could use an inside scorer, I think that the loss of Gordon as a backcourt scorer would hurt the Bulls more than picking up Gasol would help. Gordon has just been out of his mind this year; its hard for me to understand how anyone could complain about the way he's been plyaing or want him gone any more. And that is an awful freaking lot of talent for the Bulls to give up right there.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 21, 2007 -> 04:56 PM)
No matter how much the Bulls could use an inside scorer, I think that the loss of Gordon as a backcourt scorer would hurt the Bulls more than picking up Gasol would help. Gordon has just been out of his mind this year; its hard for me to understand how anyone could complain about the way he's been plyaing or want him gone any more. And that is an awful freaking lot of talent for the Bulls to give up right there.

NO to trading Deng...I heart Deng... but I have no problems letting go of a combination of a couple of gordon, tyrus, noc, pj brown, of course, and draft picks (and duhon if anybody wants him) for getting a player like Gasol, or (and I hope and wish every night) KG.

It's a necessary trade, in my opinion, because multiple good players do not equal one superstar. odom and butler was plenty of talent to give for shaq, for example, and that's much more apparent now with the way those two have played this year when healthy, but that seemed to work out well.

And yes, gordon is playing well (not out if his mind, though), but he still has his deficiencies and this may be when his value is highest. He's definitely not worth as much during his slumps.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 21, 2007 -> 04:51 PM)

Why the hell would you trade your leading scorer for that package??? It makes no sense. Ben Gordon is your best scorer hands down, you dont trade him at this point.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 22, 2007 -> 11:52 AM)
Why the hell would you trade your leading scorer for that package??? It makes no sense. Ben Gordon is your best scorer hands down, you dont trade him at this point.

That's easy. A dominant big >>> a scoring combo guard in my mind.

The Bulls are not going to be able to draft an Oden or a Noah in this year's draft, unless they get very lucky in the lottery.

The Bulls could draft a SG to replace Gordon in the draft, and they'd have the C they desperately need. It also opens up more playing time for the likes of Thabo now.

There's just not many good centers left in the game today. If you have the chance to get one, and a fairly young one still at that, I think you should definitely go for it.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 21, 2007 -> 06:38 AM)

Gasol still doesn't fill the Bulls biggest need. No to the deal. Hell no.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jan 22, 2007 -> 06:29 AM)
If we do a deal with Gasol, id want our draft pick to be a big part of it. I dont even really want to give up Gordon but not a chance in hell you even consider losing both Gordon and Deng.

Out of Gordon, Deng, TT, Hinrich, Noc, and Big Ben...the only player in the NBA I'd be willing to part with more than 1 of those pieces for is Kevin Garnett. There is just too much talent going the other way if 2 of those guys go.

Here's one thing I don't get, I hear a couple people saying Gasol wouldn't help the Bulls. The guy is a bonafide 4 (you could technically call him a 5 because he's tall enough) with a nice jumper so that you could do some pick and rolls with him, but he also has very good moves in the block.

This is the exact type of player we could build our franchise around (as long as we keep one of Deng/Gordon). However, if we were able to center a package around Nocioni, Tyrus, PJ Brown, & Chris Duhon (future draft picks as well, obviously bulls would probably take someone back that the Grizz just want to get rid of) maybe you could get something to happen and thats the type of move that could set our franchise up as a legit 1 seed (not like a default 1 seed which if we did get a 1 seed it would be because our conference blows rather than us being a legitimate 1 seed).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 22, 2007 -> 09:09 AM)
Here's one thing I don't get, I hear a couple people saying Gasol wouldn't help the Bulls. The guy is a bonafide 4 (you could technically call him a 5 because he's tall enough) with a nice jumper so that you could do some pick and rolls with him, but he also has very good moves in the block.

This is the exact type of player we could build our franchise around (as long as we keep one of Deng/Gordon). However, if we were able to center a package around Nocioni, Tyrus, PJ Brown, & Chris Duhon (future draft picks as well, obviously bulls would probably take someone back that the Grizz just want to get rid of) maybe you could get something to happen and thats the type of move that could set our franchise up as a legit 1 seed (not like a default 1 seed which if we did get a 1 seed it would be because our conference blows rather than us being a legitimate 1 seed).

That sort of deal would be tolerable, but after seeing the last few weeks, I really don't want to part with TT. I've become convinced that Paxson was right and this kid is going to grow into an athletic monster within a couple years. If you could pull it off for Noc, PJ, Duhon, and draft picks, then you jump at it. But I tend to be a fan of prospects, and I like watching people grow into their roles.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 22, 2007 -> 11:19 AM)
That sort of deal would be tolerable, but after seeing the last few weeks, I really don't want to part with TT. I've become convinced that Paxson was right and this kid is going to grow into an athletic monster within a couple years. If you could pull it off for Noc, PJ, Duhon, and draft picks, then you jump at it. But I tend to be a fan of prospects, and I like watching people grow into their roles.

I'd kinda agree with you...if we had not gotten ben wallace. Now I have no problems letting go of tyrus (still soo raw and won't be any kind of force for another 2-3 years at the least) or gordon. The potential is certainly there in tyrus, but he's so damn stupid-mistake-prone at this point.

Prospects are fine in baseball to develop in the minors. In basketball, prospects are fine if you're rebuilding, but this Bulls team clearly isn't and needs to just go for it while wallace is still productive.

Ben Wallace is quickly making a case for worst Bulls move of my lifetime, surpassing taking Trenton Hassell over Gilbert Arenas, who went the next pick. And God I hate Chris Duhon.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 22, 2007 -> 10:50 AM)
Out of Gordon, Deng, TT, Hinrich, Noc, and Big Ben...the only player in the NBA I'd be willing to part with more than 1 of those pieces for is Kevin Garnett. There is just too much talent going the other way if 2 of those guys go.

There are a lot of players I'd give up Hinrich and Big Ben for.