Kirkjian column

YASNY

it has been reported that the Angels have turned down a deal that would send pitcher Ervin Santana and third baseman/outfielder Chone Figgins to the White Sox for Garcia and third baseman Joe Crede.

Interesting that it says the Angels turned down this deal and not the Sox... while just below it

Several teams covet Santana, but he likely isn't going anywhere unless he can bring someone such as Miguel Tejada, or perhaps Crede.

That would either mean the Angels don't want Garcia or that they aren't willing to give up figgins... either way I'm kinda baffled by this. Considering he's saying the Angels would be willing to give up Santana for Crede, but an offer like that had already been turned down by the Angels. I think he may have his facts wrong.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Dec 2, 2006 -> 03:04 PM)
You really have a low view of KW, don't you?

What the hell has the guy done that you constantly rag on him like this?

I'm not aware of Flash's past comments on KW, but this one seems reasonable. I'm a huge KW fan, but his offseason decisions and comments have left me believing he's somewhat clueless. His staunch reluctance to participate in the FA game, along with his (so far) failure to trade one of his excess starters makes me uncomfortable in is ability to build a 2007 WS winner.

QUOTE(shoota @ Dec 2, 2006 -> 03:39 PM)
I'm not aware of Flash's past comments on KW, but this one seems reasonable. I'm a huge KW fan, but his offseason decisions and comments have left me believing he's somewhat clueless. His staunch reluctance to participate in the FA game, along with his (so far) failure to trade one of his excess starters makes me uncomfortable in is ability to build a 2007 WS winner.

If Williams gets a deal that he thinks will be benficial to the team, he'll pull the trigger. One thing he has never been is shy about making a gutsy move.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 2, 2006 -> 03:45 PM)
If Williams gets a deal that he thinks will be benficial to the team, he'll pull the trigger. One thing he has never been is shy about making a gutsy move.

And so would every other GM in every sport. How does that relate to my post?

Edited by shoota

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 2, 2006 -> 03:51 PM)
The fact that Kenny has been aggresive in the past. He's not like 'Stand Pat' Gillick in that regard.

Yes, which is why I'm uncomfortable with his lack of quality, agressive deals this offseason (so far).

QUOTE(shoota @ Dec 2, 2006 -> 03:57 PM)
Yes, which is why I'm uncomfortable with his lack of quality, agressive deals this offseason (so far).

Relax. The Winter Meetings haven't even arrived yet. The 2 main free agent pitchers haven't signed yet. KW is actually being wise waiting this out. Teams aren't going to suddenly not need pitching. He has all the cards. When one of the big market teams gets shut out of the Zito/Schmidt sweepstakes, the price for a White Sox starter should skyrocket.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 2, 2006 -> 04:02 PM)
Relax. The Winter Meetings haven't even arrived yet. The 2 main free agent pitchers haven't signed yet. KW is actually being wise waiting this out. Teams aren't going to suddenly not need pitching. He has all the cards. When one of the big market teams gets shut out of the Zito/Schmidt sweepstakes, the price for a White Sox starter should skyrocket.

exactly. i think we are all so used to kenny being aggressive and making an early move. but in this case waiting just drives up the value of our pitchers. as much as i would love to hear some news, this is the right move. and hey, its only december 2nd.

QUOTE(shoota @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 08:57 AM)

So would you have liked us to sign Alfonso Soriano to that 8 year deal as an "aggressive" signing?

QUOTE(Craig Grebeck @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 10:29 AM)
Do you even follow baseball? Milledge is one of the best prospects in the game.

Most people think he's overrated.

I would rather target the likes of Eric Hurley and John Danks from Texas, considering we already have some young OF's in Brian Anderson and Ryan Sweeney.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 2, 2006 -> 05:08 PM)
Most people think he's overrated.

I would rather target the likes of Eric Hurley and John Danks from Texas, considering we already have some young OF's in Brian Anderson and Ryan Sweeney.

I would say that some people think he's overrated, not necessarily most. I would say that the Mets had some problems with his attitude, being a little too arrogant for a Rookie last year, and that might have hurt him some.

But personally, I think he could be an excellent addition to the White Sox, especially as a Left Fielder/replacement for Podsednik. And yes, we have 2 young outfielders in Anderson and Sweeney, but there are 3 outfield spots, all 3 of which we may need people for by the time 2008 starts. We can throw Fields into that mix, but it's looking more and more like he'll be needed at 3rd base. And after that, our options are the Free Agent Market or Jerry Owens.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 12:14 PM)
I would say that some people think he's overrated, not necessarily most. I would say that the Mets had some problems with his attitude, being a little too arrogant for a Rookie last year, and that might have hurt him some.

But personally, I think he could be an excellent addition to the White Sox, especially as a Left Fielder/replacement for Podsednik. And yes, we have 2 young outfielders in Anderson and Sweeney, but there are 3 outfield spots, all 3 of which we may need people for by the time 2008 starts. We can throw Fields into that mix, but it's looking more and more like he'll be needed at 3rd base. And after that, our options are the Free Agent Market or Jerry Owens.

I don't exactly think going to the FA market is a bad option when it comes to filling that need.

If you remember with Jermaine Dye, it was basically a buy low type of signing. Didn't have great numbers out of Oakland, but he came to a better hitting environment, became healthy and produced. I'd expect the Sox to try and make that type of signing again if possible.

As for Milledge, I'd just prefer to get good young pitching over good young hitting. And as for Milledge, I'd imagine KW will do some checks on his attitude and his background, because you know they want good character guys for the clubhouse who will fit in (although you can argue we signed Pierzynski but that really fit a huge need for us).

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 2, 2006 -> 05:21 PM)
I don't exactly think going to the FA market is a bad option when it comes to filling that need.

If you remember with Jermaine Dye, it was basically a buy low type of signing. Didn't have great numbers out of Oakland, but he came to a better hitting environment, became healthy and produced. I'd expect the Sox to try and make that type of signing again if possible.

As for Milledge, I'd just prefer to get good young pitching over good young hitting. And as for Milledge, I'd imagine KW will do some checks on his attitude and his background, because you know they want good character guys for the clubhouse who will fit in (although you can argue we signed Pierzynski but that really fit a huge need for us).

Well, the thing about the Jermaine Dye signing is that the Free Agent market right now is totally different from the Free Agent Market at the end of 2004. At the end of 2004, it was possible to get bargains in the FA Market, because the market was still recovering from the glut of contracts signed around 99-00 (Hell, JD was being paid like $12 mil a year at the end of his deal by Oakland).

Right now, it looks like we're in another big surge period in the FA Market. Which to me means that its going to be much, much, much harder to find a bargain like JD in the FA Market in 2006-2007 than it was in 2004. It may take a couple years for the market to come back into equilibrium with the new money available in baseball, and until then, the FA Market just does not seem like the smartest option.

Also, I would prefer good young pitching over good young hitting as well, which is why I'd still ask for a pitcher in addition to Milledge (even if it were just Heilman) if we were to deal someone to the Mets.

My biggest frustration has been with the White Sox (aka Kenny Williams) acting surprised that free agency is out of control, and it sounds like the purse strings aren't really open to upgrade the team that route, basically only through trades, and then you hear the Crede may be available because he may cost too much too sign.

Wasn't there a new CBA recently signed ? Where are some of these other teams getting the $$$ to make some of these signings ???

This is not a Wiliams bashing - I do trust his judgment to make the right decisions, and I don't want to spend $136 million on Soriano...this is more just frustration that even if we trade a starting pitcher, it's probably going to be for nice young players who may not be able to fully help the team win next season.