Winter Meetings Thread

RME JICO

I thought it might be a good idea to start a Winter Meetings thread to post all the little snippets of info that becomes available in one place.

Here is an update from Aaron Gleeman's blog (2:20pm) from Rotoworld:

Things have been slow to develop on the rumor front, with most general managers locked away in their hotel rooms, but there's some lobby speculation that Joe Crede continues to be in play regardless of whether the Angels remain the destination. White Sox general manager Ken Williams is also reportedly willing to deal any one of Jon Garland, Freddy Garcia, and Javier Vazquez. The delay, it was said to me, is because Williams is shopping around for the best deal, not because he's reluctant to pull the trigger.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/features/...articleid=27213

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Heres a really good summary : http://www.rotoworld.com/content/features/...articleid=27208

the white sox seem to be in a major part of the meetings (with good cause), names like vernon wells, miguel tejada, carl crawford, and others are connected with the white sox.

oh, and it seems like manny and the dodgers are really getting close.

I was at Disney World last month and stayed at the Dolphin hotel. Really, really nice place and a great location. You can walk to EPCOT or Disney Studios from there. Plus it's on the Boardwalk resot area which has the ESPN club and various bars and restaurants.

No wonder it's been slow. They're in Disney and partying with the Mouse!! :D

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 03:02 PM)
I was at Disney World last month and stayed at the Dolphin hotel. Really, really nice place and a great location. You can walk to EPCOT or Disney Studios from there. Plus it's on the Boardwalk resot area which has the ESPN club and various bars and restaurants.

No wonder it's been slow. They're in Disney and partying with the Mouse!! :D

I thought they were in Naples.

QUOTE(SoxnGiants @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 01:39 PM)
I know it's a broken record with Sox fans... but Crawford is the guy we should target. He's exactly what we need. Wells is great but will be really expensive while Crawford is signed long term to a reasonable contract.

Yes his contract is reasonable, but that doesn't mean the price is reasonable. A team with 3/4 of its players 2 years or less from Free Agency can simply not empty its minor leagues entirely for 1 guy. If KW learns hypnosis, then it's a smart move. Otherwise...

I would prefer to trade Vazquez for Mike Pelfrey, atleast as a core for a trade, Pelfrey has loads of talent and seemed to be breezing through the minors, plus vasquez was never very high in my book

Out of all of our starters Javy is the easiest to give up on in my mind, and I believe that we should still do a Garcia for Santana + Aybar core deal, I dont want to trade Crede this year since we have him under control for 2 more years and i believe fields isnt quite ready yet but will be with another year of polishing, plus aybar is crazy talented and they have brandon wood ahead of him so they could be willing to let aybar go---> but we may have to give something else up for that deal to happen since both are highly touted by a lot of teams

QUOTE(bigruss22 @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 09:55 PM)
I would prefer to trade Vazquez for Mike Pelfrey, atleast as a core for a trade, Pelfrey has loads of talent and seemed to be breezing through the minors, plus vasquez was never very high in my book

Out of all of our starters Javy is the easiest to give up on in my mind, and I believe that we should still do a Garcia for Santana + Aybar core deal, I dont want to trade Crede this year since we have him under control for 2 more years and i believe fields isnt quite ready yet but will be with another year of polishing, plus aybar is crazy talented and they have brandon wood ahead of him so they could be willing to let aybar go---> but we may have to give something else up for that deal to happen since both are highly touted by a lot of teams

You're not getting Santana by just giving up Garcia.

QUOTE(SoxnGiants @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 03:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know it's a broken record with Sox fans... but Crawford is the guy we should target. He's exactly what we need. Wells is great but will be really expensive while Crawford is signed long term to a reasonable contract.

Which in terms, makes him "expensive" to get.

Crawford would be too expensive to attain if you had to give up B-Mac or any of the young pitching you would acquire in trading one of your established SP's IMHO.

The Sox are going to improve next season, not from getting a better leadoff hitter (although it will help, it looks like we're hoping Pods can rebound) but from getting better starting pitching.

Moving McCarthy into the rotation, and getting better bullpen pitching will help achieve that goal, and by acquiring young pitching, you sure up a point that's going to need re-inforcements in the near future, if a Buehrle bolts in FA.

Dear Kenny --

Please get the following things done at the winter meetings.

1.) Grab a competent backup catcher.

2.) Bring in a nice package of prospects/players for one of Garcia/Vazquez.

3.) Please trade Mr. Scott Podsednik and put anyone else -- and I mean anyone else; Gload, Mackozuna platoon, or Ryan Sweeney would work fine -- out there.

Heck, if you even got two done, I'd be happy.

Your distant pal,

-Keith

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 04:49 PM)
Dear Kenny --

Please get the following things done at the winter meetings.

1.) Grab a competent backup catcher.

2.) Bring in a nice package of prospects/players for one of Garcia/Vazquez.

3.) Please trade Mr. Scott Podsednik and put anyone else -- and I mean anyone else; Gload, Mackozuna platoon, or Ryan Sweeney would work fine -- out there.

Heck, if you even got two done, I'd be happy.

Your distant pal,

-Keith

Too busy riding the Tea Cups at Magic Kingdom and flying under the radar. Will get back to you in January.

- Kenny

:P

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 10:54 PM)
How many people have wondered what will happen if BMAC totally bombs as a full time starter.

Every time I hear about someone too scared to trade him or say he should be untouchable even though it may be an upgrade to the team!

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 10:54 PM)
How many people have wondered what will happen if BMAC totally bombs as a full time starter.

That's why I am an advocate for trading him for a potential Hall of Famer in Carl Crawford now, while he still has top value. As much as I liked McCarthy in 2005, he showed me nothing last season. Don't forget this...Ozzie isn't comfortable with McCarthy. Even if he starts for us in 2007, he'll have the tightest leash in history.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 04:54 PM)

Hell would freeze over. Seriously.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 05:00 PM)
That's why I am an advocate for trading him for a potential Hall of Famer in Carl Crawford now, while he still has top value. As much as I liked McCarthy in 2005, he showed me nothing last season. Don't forget this...Ozzie isn't comfortable with McCarthy. Even if he starts for us in 2007, he'll have the tightest leash in history.

^ ^ ^ ^

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 05:00 PM)

"Potential Hall of Famer"? Maybe he should make an All-Star team before we give him that tag. For a guy who hasn't yet put up a .350 OBP in his career, Crawford shure gets a lot of love on this board. I'd rather take my chances with what looks to be a very good, young starting pitcher.