What kind of town is Chicago?

What kind of town is Chicago?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of town is Chicago?

• Baseball
    • Football
    • Basketball

Heard a similar question on the radio the other day, thought it be fun to discuss.

Baseball divides the city in half every year. It takes football to reunite it. As for basketball, well, we had Jordan.

Also lets throw some other cities into the question:

New York- Baseball

LA- Basketball

Houston- ???

Detroit- Hockey?

St. Louis- Baseball

Boston- Baseball

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chicago is a Bears town.

Anyone who votes baseball hasn't paid attention in the last 20+ years.

'85 Bears >>>> 6 Bulls champs and 1 Sox champ in most people's eyes.

Not mine, but in the casual (Cubs) fan's eyes.

Edited by knightni

Obviously, it's a bit biased considering this is a Sox message board so the numbers will be skewed. But it's quite evident that when the Bears are playing well, the city is buzzing.

Just look at the history. Chicago was built by blue collar guys and players like Ditka, Butkus, Singletary, etc. resemble those people.

Football town, no doubt.

Edited by SoxFan1

Worst poll in the history of SoxTalk. It is football. It is a Bears town, win or lose it doesn't matter. There isn't even a question about it.

To all those that picked baseball or, for some reason, basketball, I would love to hear your reasoning behind it. Please tell me why you people think that this is ever a baseball or basketball town before it is a football town.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 20, 2006 -> 11:24 PM)
Heard a similar question on the radio the other day, thought it be fun to discuss.

Baseball divides the city in half every year. It takes football to reunite it. As for basketball, well, we had Jordan.

Also lets throw some other cities into the question:

New York- Baseball

LA- Basketball

Houston- ???

Detroit- Hockey?

St. Louis- Baseball

Boston- Baseball

First of all, Chicago is DEFINITELY a football town. Where else can hated rivals in the summer come together and cheer with each other in the winter? Not New York, they are divided in ALL sports. Not LA, unless you consider the Kings (which I don't).

As for your other cities. I think you ar dead-on. Not sure about Detroit, but I think it's a coin flip between hockey and basketball.

Houston? Football, hands down. Even with the Texans, who, um, aren't that good...there's still high school football and college football. In fact, I would default all of Texas to football.

DA BEARS. And considering a baseball message board is voting so heavily towards football, it tells you just how much of a football town this really is.

Baseball would be #2 with basketball #3. That said during the Jordan era that may have been a period where basketball was #1 but that was simply because the Bears were that terrible.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Dec 22, 2006 -> 01:54 AM)
How many people showed up at the Sox parade? Like 2 million, right? Well, let's just say the Bears had a championship parade that same day. The Sox parade would have had about as many people as the Cell does when the Royals come to town in April. Chicago belongs to the Bears.

That I highly doubt.

1985 parade: 500 k (well actually, it was in 1986, but whatever)

2005 parade (for the "inferior" team in town): 2 million

Baseball wins, and it's not as close as many think. The Bears draw the "common" (idiot) fan pretty well, but baseball is king here.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Definitely football. You never hear anything else about any other team when they are good. People still talk about the '85 team like it happened yesterday, and Ditka is still revered. Part of that could be because the NFL is by far the most popular sports league in the country, but the Bears definitely have one of the best fan bases in the NFL.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 22, 2006 -> 02:39 AM)

Baseball wins, and it's not as close as many think. The Bears draw the "common" (idiot) fan pretty well, but baseball is king here.

The Sox also had a much longer route. The Bears just went through the loop, the Sox went through half the south side before heading downtown.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 21, 2006 -> 04:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Several years ago the Bulls were extremely popular, and I think they are bringing back that to second place.

Basketball has never and will never be as big as either baseball or football in this town. Even when the Bulls were winning championships this town wasn't a basketball town. It wasn't even ahead of baseball at that time. However, it may have been a Jordan town.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 22, 2006 -> 02:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is a ridiculous comparison. Zoom put it best.