Sox Sign Erstad

SkokieSox

Pitching relies upon defense. It is a factor, believe it or not, and Erstad is worse (perhaps much worse) defensively than Anderson is.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Jan 23, 2007 -> 07:35 PM)
So Pods is out 6 weeks starting when? Starting today, spring training, or the regular season? Im guessing the regular season.. so we won't get Pods back until Mid-May which makes this signing much more valuable. I'm guessing he'll be the fulltime LF until Pods comes back. I also expect Gooch to play temporary leadoff man. Good move KW, low risk may result with high reward.

Starting today. So he'll be ready to start ST after about the first or second week.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jan 23, 2007 -> 06:10 PM)
Starting today. So he'll be ready to start ST after about the first or second week.

But...that assumes everything goes well. If you recall, Pods was supposedly ready to start ST on time last year, but wound up unable to play for pretty much the whole time because he was dealing with scar tissue from the surgery.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 23, 2007 -> 08:14 PM)
But...that assumes everything goes well. If you recall, Pods was supposedly ready to start ST on time last year, but wound up unable to play for pretty much the whole time because he was dealing with scar tissue from the surgery.

This is true. I should have thrown a should in there.

QUOTE(spataro51 @ Jan 23, 2007 -> 08:25 PM)
750,000 is a great deal considering that i am assuming that erstad made and don't quote me but 8.25 mil last year to play 40 games... actually and i just checked on espn it was 8.75 mil WHAT A DEAL!!

Who cares what his salary was last year? That is completely irrelevant this year.

True it is irrevelant but when do you see a guy go from making almost 9 mil one year to making less then 1 mil the next.....i would of thought he wouldn't of settled for that less... I would of expected him to sign for at 3mil or so....I am just saying IN this years FA market and for what he can do on the field we got a heck of a deal.

Edited by spataro51

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jan 23, 2007 -> 06:37 PM)
This is a HORRIBLE signing. Erstad can't hit a lick, and I'm sure the range he once had in the outfield is long gone. Every AB Erstad gets playing CF should go to Ryan Sweeney. Even Mack is 10 times better as a hitter than Erstad. WTF are they thinking????

For all his focus on pitching, KW has not done anything to address the numerous holes in our lineup. Plus, the LAST thing we needed was another LEFTY. We have only 3 players on the ROSTER who can hit lefties, yet will face a Santana, Rogers, or Sabathia something like 15 times this season.

AACCKKKKKKKK! My hopes for this season continue to decline.

Circle gets the square.

I want to be upbeat about our moves this off-season. But wanting it and being it are two different things.

QUOTE(spataro51 @ Jan 23, 2007 -> 08:32 PM)
True it is irrevelant but when do you see a guy go from making almost 9 mil one year to making less then 1 mil the next.....i would of thought he wouldn't of settled for that less... I would of expected him to sign for at 3mil or so....I am just saying IN this years FA market and for what he can do on the field we got a heck of a deal.

It doesn't happen often because s***ty players aren't often signed to 4 year, $32 million contracts

And he can barely do anything in the field anymore without tearing something.

edit: and I'm gonna be done with this thread now because I am being just ridiculously negative about a move that likely will have little effect on the team. I just see it as Timo and it will drive us crazy, so that's the only reason I'm a little upset.

Edited by witesoxfan

In OOTP leagues I've always loved acquiring Erstad from people with the same mindset that you have, wite. That he sucks, that he's this, that he's that, and because of his salary he'll be moved for chump change and if he stays healthy he performs like an all-star.

Point I'm making, so what if his career is over and he turns out to be Timo Perez. If the guy can remain healthy, something I'd set at about a 33% chance, he could be a real valuable chip for the 07 White Sox.

Low risk, High reward.

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Jan 23, 2007 -> 04:42 PM)
The point is that he'd never face lefties. Iguchi, Konerko, Dye, Crede and Hall are pretty good against lefties I hear. Pure rumor though.

You heard wrong because Iguchi was pretty brutal vs lefties last season.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jan 23, 2007 -> 06:43 PM)
In OOTP leagues I've always loved acquiring Erstad from people with the same mindset that you have, wite. That he sucks, that he's this, that he's that, and because of his salary he'll be moved for chump change and if he stays healthy he performs like an all-star.

Point I'm making, so what if his career is over and he turns out to be Timo Perez. If the guy can remain healthy, something I'd set at about a 33% chance, he could be a real valuable chip for the 07 White Sox.

Low risk, High reward.

Exactly.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jan 23, 2007 -> 06:43 PM)

Low risk, High reward.

The only problem is that there is still some risk in any guy you give to Ozzie, at least based on previous experience. Ozzie has shown no willingness in previous seasons to adapt his usage of people to their performance; hence Mackowiak being placed in CF so often last year, Timo Perez seeing significant playing time in 2005, some of Ozzie's pitching/bullpen decisions, etc.

It's entirely possible that this move could wind up limiting Anderson to 350 at bats next season, further stunting whatever chance he had at developing as a big league hitter, and also hurting the White Sox by keeping Anderson's defense out of CF, at the same time as putting a .220 hitting guy who's lost several steps into the lineup every other day. Hopefully it doesn't come to that, but based on how Anderson/Mackowiak were dealt with last year, I'll believe it when I see it.

I personally really like the signing with the obvious caveat that I hate it if Oz uses him as anything other than a 4th outfielder. But really, anyone b****ing that a) he's injury-prone and he's going to get hurt, and B) he sucks, shouldn't be too concerned with this signing. Y'all are running on the presumption of injury in the first week of regular playing time, so I guess his suckitude won't be hurting us too much, right?

QUOTE(maggliopipe @ Jan 23, 2007 -> 09:39 PM)
I personally really like the signing with the obvious caveat that I hate it if Oz uses him as anything other than a 4th outfielder. But really, anyone b****ing that a) he's injury-prone and he's going to get hurt, and B) he sucks, shouldn't be too concerned with this signing. Y'all are running on the presumption of injury in the first week of regular playing time, so I guess his suckitude won't be hurting us too much, right?

Actually it could really hurt the team because there wouldn't be a legit 4th OF on the roster. So yes there is a good amount of risk in this move since the Sox put off finding a 4th OF until now and the guy they're banking on is oft-injured, if he goes down the Sox will be in the same spot they were last year regarding the backup CF situation.

I'm not unhappy at all with this signing. He hardly played at all last year to have ankle surgery . Many are saying he's an old 32 yr. old. I think with all the time off last year his body had plenty of time for rest and recuperation.

He's won 3 gold gloves in his career. 2 in center and 1 at 1st base. So for those saying he's now comparable to Mac in center and I'll ask how many GG's does Mac have in center ?

He'll get more AB's combined in left, right, 1st and DH then he will in center . He still has the tools just not the speed to play much centerfield. With Pod's injury and recovery time Erstad could see a lot of action early in the season. After Pods is fully recovered Erstad will play 1st base if Paulies hip forces him to play a few less games at 1st and more at DH. He'll spell all 3 outfield positions. He's a team player with a great attitude and does what it takes to win. He does the little things well (bunt ,hit and run ,move runners over).

Remember the Sox have a bevy of young outfielders (Sweeney, Owens, Terrero , even Fields ). If Erstad has a injury or proves he's not capable of the demands the Sox will put on him, they will bring up the OF in the minors who is having a good year. I'm sure whatever salary he signed for is disposable as is he if worst comes to worst.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jan 23, 2007 -> 05:08 PM)
K, I'll eat major crow if Anderson starts 80% of the games and Erstad's utilized very well off of the bench.

I highly doubt it happens

+1

KW had to make the BP fool proof so Ozzie couldn't f*** it up, i doubt Ozzie will utilize the bench to its fullest.

Also I highly doubt Erstad will sit, when there is a 2nd yr player who has an "attitude problem", and in the eyes of his manager hasn't proven anything at the ML level even though he turned it on the second half.

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jan 23, 2007 -> 10:24 PM)
He's won 3 gold gloves in his career. 2 in center and 1 at 1st base. So for those saying he's now comparable to Mac in center and I'll ask how many GG's does Mac have in center ?

I lied. This is my second to last post in the thread.

How many more times has Erstad been on the DL in his career? How many more season ending injuries has Erstad had than Mackowiak? When was the last time Erstad played CF without getting hurt?

I think I know the answer to the last one. It's 2002, which means 5.YEARS.AGO.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jan 23, 2007 -> 10:31 PM)
I lied. This is my second to last post in the thread.

How many more times has Erstad been on the DL in his career? How many more season ending injuries has Erstad had than Mackowiak? When was the last time Erstad played CF without getting hurt?

I think I know the answer to the last one. It's 2002, which means 5.YEARS.AGO.

By the previous logic (ie: citing GG that were won 5 years ago as evidence to a players capabilities defensively) Jim Edmonds, Ken Griffey Jr., Shawn Green and Steve Finley are all currently above average defenders.

One more thing, if Darin Erstad starts a single game at DH next season then this was a terrible signing.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 23, 2007 -> 10:48 PM)
This thread reminds me of the last time the Sox signed a veteran, free agent, injury prone outfielder. There was a lot of moaning about that one too. But, I think Jermaine Dye worked out ok.

I don't see much of a connection at all. The talent levels aren't even close. Just because Erstad is old and injury prone doesn't mean he's similar at all to Dye nor is his situation similar.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jan 23, 2007 -> 11:34 PM)
By the previous logic (ie: citing GG that were won 5 years ago as evidence to a players capabilities defensively) Jim Edmonds, Ken Griffey Jr., Shawn Green and Steve Finley are all currently above average defenders.

One more thing, if Darin Erstad starts a single game at DH next season then this was a terrible signing.

What if he's hitting .340 when he DH's?