• Gavin Floyd
    • Andy Sisco
    • Lance Broadway
    • Gio Gonzalez

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(JenksForPrez45 @ Feb 7, 2007 -> 03:30 PM)
My money is also on Floyd but I think you cant count out the darkhorse of this all......Lance Broadway.

And you can put that on the board....

Lance started one game at AAA so i don't see this happening, but i would love to see this as he is my fav prospect and he's in my avy. :D

My money is on Floyd though.

Gavin Floyd has the most experience, so if they can make the necessary adjustments to his delivery to make him more consistent, then he has the upper leg. Haeger is always a backup option.

Danks, Gio, and Broadway seem to be at least one year away.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Feb 7, 2007 -> 04:18 PM)
Gavin Floyd has the most experience, so if they can make the necessary adjustments to his delivery to make him more consistent, then he has the upper leg. Haeger is always a backup option.

Danks, Gio, and Broadway seem to be at least one year away.

I think it's safe to say at least one of them will be taking over for MB in 08.

QUOTE(shoota @ Feb 7, 2007 -> 05:38 PM)
I'm still hoping KW signs a veteran. I haven't heard much interest in Cory Lidle, so maybe KW can work under the radar. He could be the impact player to pilot us to the playoffs.

That might be because he is no longer among the living. And is playing catch with Jesus :P

But puns with radar and pilot. It's just wrong.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE(ptatc @ Feb 7, 2007 -> 05:51 PM)
That might be because he is no longer among the living. And is playing catch with Jesus :P

But puns with radar and pilot. It's just wrong.

So you're saying the impact pun is straight?

Obviously Floyd is going to get every opportunity to win the job in spring training. KW is high on him and liked what he did in the AZ fall league while ignoring what he has done in the big leagues. I liked the Garcia trade. I think Freddy's ERA is about to skyrocket, and you don't want to have him signed to a long-term deal IMO. If Floyd or Gonzalez become good major leaguers, it was a great trade. I just don't think its going to happen in 2007. I still think KW has some cash to play with, so I wouldn't be surprised if the eventual 5th guy in the 2007 rotation is not yet in the organization. That said, if Buerhle doesn't bounce back, and either he, Garland or Contreras get injured for a significant amount of time, it might not matter who the fifth starter is. Hopefully everyone will remain healthy, Buerhle will be back to form, Vazquez will pitch like he pitched for the Expos and all the pitchers KW acquired will be half as good as he thinks they are. Then it won't matter who's playing SS or LF or leading off.

My guess is that if we really let the 2 compete, Haeger would wind up winning the job. If nothing else, he performed a lot better than Floyd in his few outings wrapping up last season, while Floyd struggled at AAA.

That said, I think the fact that Charlie throws a Knuckler and the fact that Kenny gave up a lot to get Floyd is going to give Floyd the edge. I think Floyd wins, and I'm not sure it's the right call. Hopefully he proves me wrong and lives up to that #4 draft slotting.

And under no conditions do I want to see anyone else from that list in the major league rotation before the All Star break rolls around. The others all need at least some work in AAA, if not a significant chunk.

Edited by Balta1701

KW is one of the best GMs when it comes to judging talent, and our pro-level scouts are top notch. If they watched Floyd for multiple outings this fall and could confidently say he would've given McCarthy a run for his money had he not been traded, this is really all I need to know who will win the spot. We have seen KW bring in guys with sporadic to no success in the past who have broken out as White Sox because he knows their true ability.

Haeger seems to be the only other probable candidate for 5th starter. He excels at keeping the ball in the park, but is a mediocre pitcher when it comes to everything else. His minor league total runs surrendered are 27% higher than his earned runs due to lack of control, and this makes his stats seem better than they are. As someone mentioned above, I think if Haeger has an equal or even slightly better Spring than Floyd, the spot will still be Gavin's.

Edited by 3E8

QUOTE(3E8 @ Feb 7, 2007 -> 07:37 PM)
KW is one of the best GMs when it comes to judging talent, and our pro-level scouts are top notch. If they watched Floyd for multiple outings this fall and could confidently say he would've given McCarthy a run for his money had he not been traded, this is really all I need to know who will win the spot. We have seen KW bring in guys with sporadic to no success in the past who have broken out as White Sox because he knows their true ability.

Haeger seems to be the only other probable candidate for 5th starter. He excels at keeping the ball in the park, but is a mediocre pitcher when it comes to everything else. His minor league total runs surrendered are 27% higher than his earned runs due to lack of control, and this makes his stats seem better than they are. As someone mentioned above, I think if Haeger has an equal or even slightly better Spring than Floyd, the spot will still be Gavin's.

I haven't seen any minor league splits, nor do I really care to research it right now, but I definitely recall reading that Haeger's ERA after he was sent back down was north of 5.00. That's not exactly promising either.

It's been over thirty years since Wilbur Wood trotted out to the mound. I believe old timers will be reminiscing as Charlie takes the fifth starter spot. Oz would love the chance to have a different look and something unique.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 8, 2007 -> 10:48 AM)
It's been over thirty years since Wilbur Wood trotted out to the mound. I believe old timers will be reminiscing as Charlie takes the fifth starter spot. Oz would love the chance to have a different look and something unique.

I vomit towards knuckleballers...