Some more to gripe about..

Steff

QUOTE(Wealz @ Feb 11, 2007 -> 02:07 PM)
Rumor has it the Yankees are building a ballpark that will open in 2009. They might have a passing interest in Cabrerra and Santanna, after signing Zambrano next year.

dude, they're a baseball team, not Russia. Those 3 will cost them probably $650 million combined. It's not going to happen.

I'd bet a large amount they get 1 of those 3, but if they get all 3, I'm done with baseball, and that's not an exaggeration or an overreaction at all.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 11, 2007 -> 11:18 AM)
noooooooooooooooooooooooooo :crying

It makes sense though.

And I would assume JR would want some type of outclause, which would mean he has to give Cabrera some type of outclase, and sooooo it would probably work just as Belle's did.

Normal owners would, and do as they have shown. The Sox brass, as I noted above and you made a fine example as well with the signing of FIVE players at bargains in their own right, have not done it since Belle (which turned out just fine as for his personal achievements, G) and I don't see them doing it again. If this season doesn't work, look for something young and cheap in the years to come. It will be at least 2 years of "rebuilding"

What if it does work?

I'm not one to complain about Reinsdorf or our payroll, but that's utterly ridiculous if we're unwilling to sign extended contracts with pitchers AND positional players. Especially if mild success continues and the turnstyles produce at a reasonable pace.

They may not have signed many significant, long term deals; but they've never had a payroll comparable to now.

I'd really like to know who the hell are we bringing to our ballclub in future seasons? "Under the radar" can only go so far. Our minor league system is full of mid-lower tier talent , scouting doesn't exist south of Mexico, we're never in a position for good draft picks --so, how are we supposed to sustain success?

I suppose the idea is trade current veterans for prospects. Fine, if the prospects you trade for are atleast equal to departing players. Personally, I like this theory, but it could work even further with certain FA signings. Not spending money to spend money, but bringing in signifcant talent such as Cabrera.

Don't know about any of you, but I'm not going to accept this "OMG, teh market" if we're competitive with a 100+ million dollar payroll. Williams has assembled possible alternatives for our pitchers. Few are available for positional players -- especially infielders. I took this as a possibility that money would be spent if it were deemed necessary. From your comments, Steff, I guess not. We'll have to see.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Feb 11, 2007 -> 09:50 PM)
Don't know about any of you, but I'm not going to accept this "OMG, teh market" if we're competitive with a 100+ million dollar payroll. Williams has assembled possible alternatives for our pitchers. Few are available for positional players -- especially infielders. I took this as a possibility that money would be spent if it were deemed necessary. From your comments, Steff, I guess not. We'll have to see.

I think they'll spend the money -- ie, big money -- to a guy they feel actually deserves it. More than the contracts themselves, look at the players who got those big types of deals.

Who was the best player who got signed on the FA market? Probably Soriano. Paul Konerko had a very similar offensive season to Soriano. Of course, Konerko's done it two years running now whereas Soriano hasn't put up those numbers since 2003.

What i'm getting at is that nobody signed this winter was a star, save for maybe Matsuzaka (very arguable -- bear with me), and I can't see anyone complaining that the Sox didn't pay a combined ~$110 million for him.

When Cabrera hits the market in the 2008-2009 offseason (maybe it's 2009-'10 winter), someone will be paying for his prime years. That type of player is worth it, especially if you can get Ozzie to have a little talk with Miggy about making a couple less trips to the buffet tables. Even so, however, Thome will be finishing his contract by then, so you can sign Cabrera and let him DH a bit.

Hopefully we can get lucky and have our three top position prospects work out (to a reasonable extent, at least) so that there will be a ton of money to spend on a superstar like Miggy.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Feb 11, 2007 -> 04:33 PM)
Hopefully we can get lucky and have our three top position prospects work out (to a reasonable extent, at least) so that there will be a ton of money to spend on a superstar like Miggy.

This is ultimately what I'm hoping for, as well.

Too bad our relationship with Boras is sour. Trading Crede next offseason and attempting to sign Rodriguez would have been an interesting proposition. I'm not sure how he would react to trading one of his clients only to sign another, but I'm sure he'd forget quickly if 160mil over 8 years was thrown at Rodriguez.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Feb 11, 2007 -> 11:10 PM)
This is ultimately what I'm hoping for, as well.

Too bad our relationship with Boras is sour. Trading Crede next offseason and attempting to sign Rodriguez would have been an interesting proposition. I'm not sure how he would react to trading one of his clients only to sign another, but I'm sure he'd forget quickly if 160mil over 8 years was thrown at Rodriguez.

A-Rod would be worth big money for a couple of reasons.

First, the pressure here sure seems to be a helluva lot less than in NY.

Second, he looks like he's in great shape physically, so while you wouldn't be getting his prime years, I don't think he's someone who will break down.

And lastly, you're looking at some milestones down the road. He'll probably hit 500 this year, but 600 and most likely 700 will come in his next contract.

That, of course, added onto the fact that he's going to go down as one of the 25 (or so) greatest players in the history of baseball, and even when he does start dropping off, his dropoff years will still be damn good.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 11, 2007 -> 03:24 PM)
dude, they're a baseball team, not Russia. Those 3 will cost them probably $650 million combined. It's not going to happen.

I'd bet a large amount they get 1 of those 3, but if they get all 3, I'm done with baseball, and that's not an exaggeration or an overreaction at all.

The Yankees have more money than Russia.

When the Yankees new stadium opens they'll easily be able to afford those three. Put it another way, who's going to be able to outbid them?

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Feb 11, 2007 -> 03:50 PM)
What if it does work?

I'm not one to complain about Reinsdorf or our payroll, but that's utterly ridiculous if we're unwilling to sign extended contracts with pitchers AND positional players. Especially if mild success continues and the turnstyles produce at a reasonable pace.

They may not have signed many significant, long term deals; but they've never had a payroll comparable to now.

I'd really like to know who the hell are we bringing to our ballclub in future seasons? "Under the radar" can only go so far. Our minor league system is full of mid-lower tier talent , scouting doesn't exist south of Mexico, we're never in a position for good draft picks --so, how are we supposed to sustain success?

I suppose the idea is trade current veterans for prospects. Fine, if the prospects you trade for are atleast equal to departing players. Personally, I like this theory, but it could work even further with certain FA signings. Not spending money to spend money, but bringing in signifcant talent such as Cabrera.

It's not the price or the payroll. We have a top 5-10 payroll and probably will for awhile if attendance is high. It's the length of the pitchers contract. Pitchers break down and miss time for inuries for more often than hitters. The Sox won't go for thelong term 5-8 year contracts that some pitchers are getting. I personally think this is good policy and agree with this practice.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Feb 11, 2007 -> 06:13 PM)
It's not the price or the payroll. We have a top 5-10 payroll and probably will for awhile if attendance is high. It's the length of the pitchers contract. Pitchers break down and miss time for inuries for more often than hitters. The Sox won't go for thelong term 5-8 year contracts that some pitchers are getting. I personally think this is good policy and agree with this practice.

I'm not questioning the policy. Infact, many here would agree I've been fully supportive of trading veterans for prospects to avoid the market for pitchers.

I'll clarify my position a little more. If Williams decides not to pay pitchers extended contracts, fine. We have stockpiled a large collection of prospects. However, Williams can't use this same policy (in my mind) when applied to positional players. We have limited options within our system, and will continue to unless future trades net quality players.

If only one superstar-type player is acquired, it would make it easier to allow several (hopefully all three) of Fields/Sweeney/Anderson to develop.

QUOTE(Wealz @ Feb 11, 2007 -> 05:56 PM)
The Yankees have more money than Russia.

When the Yankees new stadium opens they'll easily be able to afford those three. Put it another way, who's going to be able to outbid them?

Boston, New York, LA, Chicago, Chicago...you know, teams that give out big contracts?

The Twins are opening a new stadium too, and there's something in Minnesotan water that makes Twins players like to remain in Twins uniforms. What's to say they won't make an exception with the best pitcher since Pedro in his prime and resign him? Pohlad is what people would refer to as loaded.

There's no way the Yankees sign all 3. I'd put the odds at 1,000:1. I mean, if that were the case, why didn't the Yankees just sign Zito and Schmidt this year? Why didn't they bid $100 mill for Matsuzaka? Because maybe, just maybe, perhaps just a shot in hell they are at their peak of spending power at roughly $200-250 mill a year, to go along with their luxury tax and revenue sharing?

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 11, 2007 -> 07:28 PM)
Boston, New York, LA, Chicago, Chicago...you know, teams that give out big contracts?

The Twins are opening a new stadium too, and there's something in Minnesotan water that makes Twins players like to remain in Twins uniforms. What's to say they won't make an exception with the best pitcher since Pedro in his prime and resign him? Pohlad is what people would refer to as loaded.

There's no way the Yankees sign all 3. I'd put the odds at 1,000:1. I mean, if that were the case, why didn't the Yankees just sign Zito and Schmidt this year? Why didn't they bid $100 mill for Matsuzaka? Because maybe, just maybe, perhaps just a shot in hell they are at their peak of spending power at roughly $200-250 mill a year, to go along with their luxury tax and revenue sharing?

The Yankees won't be paying Giambi, Posada, Johnson, Mussina, Rivera, and Abreau by '08-'09, that's roughly $65M off the books. The Yankees didn't spend this year because they have a plan. FWIW, I think the Cubs will re-sign Zambrano, but mark my words the Yankees will be big-time spenders again beginning next off-season.

QUOTE(Wealz @ Feb 11, 2007 -> 08:09 PM)
The Yankees won't be paying Giambi, Posada, Johnson, Mussina, Rivera, and Abreau by '08-'09, that's roughly $65M off the books. The Yankees didn't spend this year because they have a plan. FWIW, I think the Cubs will re-sign Zambrano, but mark my words the Yankees will be big-time spenders again beginning next off-season.

I don't doubt that at all, but I don't think they'll blow their load and spend that $65 mill on all 3 of those guys. They'll just spread it around a bit and sign quite a few good players.

And they'll undoubtedly be in on all 3 if any of them touch the market. It would be insane to have those kinds of resources at hand and then not attempt to get in on the big 3.

Sox raise ticket prices $3.00 and b**** about FA salaries, with the fire sale for cheap pitching and players they are not gonna try to resign they have a TON of money to spend starting next winter! JR will keep it in his pocket instead of putting back into product is my prediction. :gosoxretro:

QUOTE(Soxfest @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 12:54 AM)
Sox raise ticket prices $3.00 and b**** about FA salaries, with the fire sale for cheap pitching and players they are not gonna try to resign they have a TON of money to spend starting next winter! JR will keep it in his pocket instead of putting back into product is my prediction. :gosoxretro:

ur just a hater

Yes, because though the holding group has NEVER done that, they are going to start now.

Here is your challenge, should you actually choose to accept it. Find me ONE year where the White Sox organization made profits, and the team did not see a corresponding increase in payroll for the next season. Yes, I am calling you to the matt. Put up or shut up. I want proof.

Fire sale???

:lol:

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 07:03 AM)
Here is your challenge, should you actually choose to accept it. Find me ONE year where the White Sox organization made profits, and the team did not see a corresponding increase in payroll for the next season. Yes, I am calling you to the matt. Put up or shut up. I want proof.

That'll be the end of that.

Meow...this kitten has claws! :P

Here is your challenge, should you actually choose to accept it. Find me ONE year where the White Sox organization made profits, and the team did not see a corresponding increase in payroll for the next season. Yes, I am calling you to the mat. Put up or shut up. I want proof.

The Sox went to the World Series and then got rid of like EIGHT of their high-priced players soon after that.

I win.

:P :bang :D

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 08:03 AM)

Who's matt?

#1 I am talking about next winter, nobody knows how it is going to turn out. White Sox have not been a major player in top shelf free agents for awhile and with the money they will have after 2006 season they will be able to be a major player, I am just saying history says otherwise. I hope I am wrong but JR crying about salaries this winter, next winter free agents will not be any cheaper! :gosoxretro: