Anyone Ready?

daa84

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/10085615

SURPRISE, Ariz. -- It ain't on-base percentage, home runs, ERA or VORP, but the Chicago White Sox lead the majors this spring in one very specific category.

Conspiracy theories.

Their follow-up to the 2005 World Series triumph a dud, Sox general manager Kenny Williams over the winter rearranged his pitching, sending Freddy Garcia to Philadelphia and one-time top prospect Brandon McCarthy to Texas.

Strong initial accusations that they were whacking their payroll.

Ongoing whispers in the industry that they're positioning themselves to make a run at Alex Rodriguez if he and the Yankees head to Splitsville this winter.

"I don't give a s--- what anybody thinks anymore," says White Sox general manager Kenny Williams of the chatter that leaves his ears ringing daily. "It's grown very tiring when people are focusing on what you don't have rather than what you do have.

"That's been a common theme the last few years, but here are the facts: It's interesting how the media says in the same breath that the Sox got rid of two-fifths of their rotation, but in reality, we're bringing four-fifths back."

We'll pause here for you to dig out your copy of Fractions for Dummies.

"In addition, we have three of the top prospects in baseball fighting it out for the fifth spot, and another three or four pitchers behind them right on their heels. And we have four guys in the bullpen who, in our estimation, will be lights out -- (Bobby) Jenks, (Mike) MacDougal, (Matt) Thornton and (Nick) Massett."

Williams spent the winter juggling contracts (Garcia is free-agent eligible after the '07 season), projecting the White Sox out over the 2008 and 2009 seasons and beyond and re-evaluating his personnel.

In other words, doing what every other GM does as the snow falls.

What Williams is, however, is one of the most aggressive GMs in the game.

As such, there usually isn't a whole lot of neutrality about his moves -- especially in Chicago.

"Nationally, people are getting it," Williams says of his maneuvering to keep the Sox competitive long after the current nucleus is gone. "Locally, in Chicago, people don't get it."

Williams acquired right-hander Gavin Floyd, who had never quite lived up to hopes in Philadelphia, for Garcia (along with left-handed pitching prospect, Gio Gonzalez).

Then he acquired left-hander John Danks -- and Massett -- from Texas in exchange for McCarthy.

Until Danks was named as the fifth starter on Saturday, both he and Floyd were competing for the rotation slot behind returning vets Jose Contreras, Mark Buehrle (also free agent elgible after '07), Jon Garland and Javier Vazquez. So, too, were knuckleballer Charlie Haeger and right-handed prospect Adam Russell.

Danks stepped to the front of the line with a one-hit, four-inning outing Friday against Colorado's projected opening day lineup. Floyd is still fueling imaginations about what he could become. Russell is one of those hot minor-leaguers of whom Williams spoke. The White Sox like Haeger a lot, too, but who really trusts a knuckleballer?

Manager Ozzie Guillen was determined to wait until the last minute before naming his fifth starter.

"We're not going to make a mistake and make a decision too soon," Guillen was saying the other day. "We're not going to make a mistake and say, 'This is the man', and then one week from now change our minds."

But as for Danks, "I never thought this kid could perform this way in spring training," Guillen says. "I thought it would take a little longer. But he's throwing strikes and he's showing me guts."

Guillen acknowledges that the Garcia trade was unpopular, and that the McCarthy deal surprised Chicago fans because they had been fed well-balanced portions of hype about the kid for the past two years.

"But it put the organization in great shape not only for this year, but for years to come," Guillen says. "People have their own opinions, but nobody knows this ballclub better than Kenny.

"We're trying to win this year and next year and not go backwards over the next five years. If Kenny doesn't do what he did last year, we go backwards."

There's no guarantee they won't, anyway. But it's also important to remember that there were no guarantees before, either. The White Sox pitching staff dominated Boston, the Angels and Houston en route to the '05 World Series title, and everybody returned for 2006. Predictions of a Sox dynasty immediately proved drastically overdone.

So the White Sox will open '07 with a payroll right around $105 million, with about $9 million coming from Philadelphia (from the Jim Thome trade two winters ago) and from Arizona (the Vazquez trade, also two winters ago).

The payroll will be up slightly from last year, so they're not exactly becoming the Tighty Whities (not yet, anyway).

As for the A-Rod talk, at least one rival GM privately notes that not only have the White Sox done what they've done, but they've yet to work a deal with impending free agents Buehrle or outfielder Jermaine Dye.

"I really think they're positioning themselves to make a run at A-Rod," the GM says.

Maybe.

"I guess people don't understand that we can put a product on the field that can contend today and one that can contend the next day as well," Williams says. "And next year and the year after that.

"Yes, we will have some payroll flexibility. What free agents are on the market, who will we have to go after, I'm not sure. It depends on how some of the young guys develop.

"But we feel we're all right."

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love how the third paragraph in that article starts out

Their follow-up to the 2005 World Series triumph a dud,

Yeah it was a bit of a letdown after winning it all, but they still won 90 games for chrissakes!!!

Getting back to the topic at hand, I always thought the earth would have to stop rotating on its axis before Kenny Williams would deal with Scott Boras again.

Edited by zimne piwo

the McCarthy deal surprised Chicago fans because they had been fed well-balanced portions of hype about the kid for the past two years.

Pretty much. I was talking to a Ranger fan at a game this past week who was still livid about it. Feels like they were fed a crock of s*** in terms of McCarthy. All I said was.."yup".

QUOTE(Wanne @ Mar 25, 2007 -> 11:33 PM)
Pretty much. I was talking to a Ranger fan at a game this past week who was still livid about it. Feels like they were fed a crock of s*** in terms of McCarthy. All I said was.."yup".

That was some great propaganda by Williams. I think Jon Daniels was just enamored with the 7+ innings of 2-hit ball that BMac put on Texas in the end of 2005.

I can't recall any major move happening when it hit the media first. This is just speculation.

If ARod is does become a FA, I expect him to command even more money than he is getting right now. Someone will pay him, but it won't be the Sox. Especially when dealing with Boras.

Crede will be replaced by Fields and Uribe will more than likley be resigned unless he falters again in 2007.

You can say a lot of things about Ozzie, but he can handle a clubhouse. Thus combined with A-Rod's talent, if we can get him, DO IT. People forget A.J. was thought of FAR worse as a clubhouse guy than A-Rod is before he got here (and has way less talent) and that is working out pretty well....

Didn't I hear murmurs somewhere here or elsewhere that A-Rod would want no part of playing for Ozzie?

I'm unclear what hole A-Rod fills by coming here, although granted offensively he is excellent.

I always thought he was a natural obvious choice for the Cubs, honestly.

"In addition, we have three of the top prospects in baseball fighting it out for the fifth spot, and another three or four pitchers behind them right on their heels. And we have four guys in the bullpen who, in our estimation, will be lights out -- (Bobby) Jenks, (Mike) MacDougal, (Matt) Thornton and (Nick) Massett."

The bullpen part I can truly understand, but the White Sox have three of the top prospects in basebell fighting for the fifth spot? When did Phil Huges, Homer Bailey and co. get traded to the White Sox?

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 10:10 AM)
I always thought he was a natural obvious choice for the Cubs, honestly.

I don't know, I've personally felt Rodriguez would rather remain in the American league to transition to DH in the latter years of any contract.

I honestly believe one of Miguel Cabrera, Ichiro Suzuki, or Alex Rodriguez will be a White Sox. And that doesn't mean in 10 years when they're on the tail ends of their careers, but within the immediate future.

Realistically, if we contend next year and have a payroll close to 100 million, good chance Dye and Buehrle leave. There's 16.5 million off the books. Add in Crede's 5 million if a deal is in the works. Podsednik's 3 million and Erstad's 1 million hopefully will be as well. That'd be approximately 25.5 million; an amount I'm sure would drop due to raises across the team.

Let's estimate around 20 million remains. Definitely enough for Ichiro, but still within the range of Rodriguez as well.

I believe any addition of the aforementioned names will allow one/two rookies an opportunity to play in the majors. It'll be interesting to observe how Sweeney and Fields fare in AAA this season. If Sweeney were to showcase more power, and Fields maintains some of the production from last season, it could be those two in LF/RF in 2008. Who knows about Anderson. I'm done trying to predict his future. I wish he would remain with us, but with Williams unpredictable nature and Guillen being Guillen he may be gone by next week.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 11:44 AM)
I don't know, I've personally felt Rodriguez would rather remain in the American league to transition to DH in the latter years of any contract.

I honestly believe one of Miguel Cabrera, Ichiro Suzuki, or Alex Rodriguez will be a White Sox. And that doesn't mean in 10 years when they're on the tail ends of their careers, but within the immediate future.

I really think you are on to something. If you add the aquisition of tons of young pitching, combined with the Sox not talking to their potential FAs, and the KW trademark of trying to make the big splash, along with Kenny trying to get Alex on at least two different occasions, I think there is fire here. It just makes too much sense.