McCarthy Watch

caulfield12

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I'm a lot more in-between. I think there are some guys who will just be good no matter what happens, but then there are a lot of other guys who's performance is decided in no small party by who teaches them and how they're handled early in their career (in terms of both performance and injuries).

I just think about all of the people who we see with a ton of talent but who are just unable to put it all together and compare them to the guys with equal or even lesser talent who do less with it. There's just so many variables...and a good chunk of them have to be related to the situation.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 30, 2007 -> 10:48 AM)
Damn, I feel bad for Brandon... Hopefully he gets his stuff straightened out. The kid always went out of his way for people on Soxtalk, and I wish him nothing but the best.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It has been so easy to pull for him.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 30, 2007 -> 03:48 PM)
Damn, I feel bad for Brandon... Hopefully he gets his stuff straightened out. The kid always went out of his way for people on Soxtalk, and I wish him nothing but the best.

^^^^

It amazes me as some folks continually nitpick and destroy those that they know nothing about around here.

The weirdest thing about B-Mac is everyone thought he would give up a ton of HR's, especially pitching in Texas, yet he has only allowed 3 (all in one game).

His WHIP is 2.10 and he has 10 BBs and only 12 Ks. No one could've expected this. Yes he was overrated by many, but he is not pitching up to his ability at this time.

If he was doing this on the Sox it would be ugly right now.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Apr 30, 2007 -> 01:00 PM)
He'd probably no-hit us right now.

Pitching much better tonight so far.

Unscored upon over 2.3 IP, only one hit given up.

Ooops, just gave up a solo homer to Sal Fasano. Walked the bases loaded in the fourth but got out of it.

Up 5-1 going into the fifth inning with the chance to get his 2nd win.

Edited by caulfield12

There was an interesting comment made about B-Mac today by the Yankees radio commentators.

While B-Mac was pitching, they brought up the trade and said that normally you have to wait a few years before assessing the trade, but it looked like the Sox got the better end of the deal right now.

The interesting part - They also discussed how they felt that the White Sox might have actually pumped up B-Mac's value by saying he was untradeable and that he was going to be in the rotation in 2007, etc, etc. So if you look back, he has all those great starts late in 2005, but then is relegated to the bullpen in 2006? If the Sox were so high on him, why bring in Vazquez? They mentioned how the Dodgers used to do this all the time. They would actually only allow pitchers to face certain hitters to make them seem better than they actually were.

So what do you think? Did the Sox artificially inflate the value of BMac up until the trade? I know you are not going to do anything to lower the value of any of your players, but some of the Sox actions seem to point towards this scenario.

Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE(RME JICO @ May 10, 2007 -> 05:27 PM)
There was an interesting comment made about B-Mac today by the Yankees radio commentators.

While B-Mac was pitching, they brought up the trade and said that normally you have to wait a few years before assessing the trade, but it looked like the Sox got the better end of the deal right now.

The interesting part - They also discussed how they felt that the White Sox might have actually pumped up B-Mac's value by saying he was untradeable and that he was going to be in the rotation in 2007, etc, etc. So if you look back, he has all those great starts late in 2005, but then is relegated to the bullpen in 2006? If the Sox were so high on him, why bring in Vazquez? They mentioned how the Dodgers used to do this all the time. They would actually only allow pitchers to face certain hitters to make them seem better than they actually were.

So what do you think? Did the Sox artificially inflate the value of BMac up until the trade? I know you are not going to do anything to lower the value of any of your players, but some of the Sox actions seem to point towards this scenario.

If that was their plan, fine by me. I'm more than satisfied with what we got back.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2007 @ May 10, 2007 -> 05:31 PM)
If that was their plan, fine by me. I'm more than satisfied with what we got back.

I don't think anyone at this point would say that they aren't. This coming from probably the biggest McCarthy fan on this site. It is going to take years to fully review this trade, but at the moment, this is an absolute steal.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2007 @ May 10, 2007 -> 05:31 PM)

Yeah, me too. I just thought it was interesting if you look back at how the Sox handled him from late 2005 on.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ May 10, 2007 -> 05:27 PM)

I don't buy it. I was at Soxfest prior to the 2005 season, before McCarthy had the dominant spring training and before he ever threw one pitch in the major leagues. Rick Hahn said back then about a guy probably half the room had never even heard of that he would "bring back a king's ransom" in a trade. Its funny the Yankee announcers are popping off but their team with a payroll doubling everyone elses gets to BMac for 1 run. The guy had a couple of tough starts, but he's going to be a good pitcher. He showed many flashes of that with the White Sox.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ May 10, 2007 -> 03:27 PM)

I can't see how throwing him out there against Texas and Boston back in late 05, and then a few weeks later lining him up against Santana in the middle of a pennant chase was a scheme to make him look better than he was. Texas and Boston were almost the 2 top offenses in the league at that point, and he held them both scoreless for 15 innings.

I kind of doubt that. KW was trying to improve the team as much as possible after 05 and having Javy as our 5th starter looked damn good. I wanted Bmac to get the 5th spot, but you can't blame KW for trying to ease him in and putting Javy out there. Of course Javy disappointed as did Bmac.

Bmac will be a good pitcher especially if he can add a few MPH to that straight fastball. He's beginning to settle down.