If you were GM of an expansion franchise and could have

caulfield12

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 10:59 AM)
Its amazing how Hernandez's perception has changed over a couple of starts. He was an above-average pitcher last year. I don't doubt that he will have a good year, but I am going to wait a little longer before calling him an ace.

I'm pretty sure that they weren't letting him throw his slider last year (someone correct me if i'm wrong) to try to protect his arm until he grew up a little more.

The couple reasons he made my list: I was only picking 1 offensive guy because I think pitching is more important, Johan obviously hits the list, and I wanted someone with Johan-level-talent who I think has a good shot at staying healthy. I'm not sold on Verlander staying healthy yet, and I'm pretty happy with the way Seattle has tried to baby his arm.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd take

McCann

Sizemore

Hernandez

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 01:05 PM)
I'm pretty sure that they weren't letting him throw his slider last year (someone correct me if i'm wrong) to try to protect his arm until he grew up a little more.

The couple reasons he made my list: I was only picking 1 offensive guy because I think pitching is more important, Johan obviously hits the list, and I wanted someone with Johan-level-talent who I think has a good shot at staying healthy. I'm not sold on Verlander staying healthy yet, and I'm pretty happy with the way Seattle has tried to baby his arm.

You're right about the slider.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 02:05 PM)

I did not know that about last year.

I watched the game last night, and in that atmosphere, in Boston vs DK, throwing a one-hitter was pretty amazing. However, I would like to see him do it for several starts before anointing him. Liriano seemed like a similar pick before his injury. Santana-like talent but much younger. Hernandez is definitely going in that direction.

I definitely see your POV, I am just going to wait and see on him.

Mauer is an interesting pick, because some say his time as a catcher is numbered due to his size. He probably has less value as a 1B or DH.

Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 01:12 PM)
I did not know that about last year.

I watched the game last night, and in that atmosphere, in Boston vs DK, throwing a one-hitter was pretty amazing. However, I would like to see him do it for several starts before anointing him. Liriano seemed like a similar pick before his injury. Santana-like talent but much younger. Hernandez is definitely going in that direction.

I definitely see your POV, I am just going to wait and see on him.

Mauer is an interesting pick, because some say his time as a catcher is numbered due to his size. He probably has less value as a 1B or DH.

Conversely, if Mauer stays at catcher with the added two inches of height, you can't help but feel that he will hit with even more extra base power and pick up some additional RBI's due to the higher slugging percentage.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 02:21 PM)
Conversely, if Mauer stays at catcher with the added two inches of height, you can't help but feel that he will hit with even more extra base power and pick up some additional RBI's due to the higher slugging percentage.
The size increase will take a bigger toll on his body as a catcher though. If he wants to have a long career, his best option would be to move to 1B sooner than later.

The size will help with more power, but it could also change his bat speed and form. It will be something to watch later in the year.

Edited by RME JICO

Balta, you're 100% right about King Felix and his slider, they didn't want him throwing it at such a young age because injury concerns. He got in shape this offseason and filled in a good amount of muscle mass so they are now opening him up to throw the slider. It's amazing he was able to do what he did last year while not even using his best pitch.

QUOTE(Top Notch @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 05:59 PM)
Alot of his hype can be attributed to ESPN, but everyone around baseball for the last few years has called him the best clubhouse presence in the game, someone who can change a decent pitcher into a good one with his game calling, etc.

Not to mention, the Red Sox labeling him as their "captain." I wouldn't pick him, but Texsox has a point.

I guess I've missed Boston's dominance on the mound

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 01:53 PM)
I guess I've missed Boston's dominance on the mound

The greatest catcher of all time isn't going to turn Donald Duck into Cy Young, so I'm not certain that is the best barometer. I'm not picking Varitek or defending him, but I think just looking at the staff's current stats doesn't tell a story.

Well, assuming I'm building a team from scratch that will take a while to contend, I would take the following:

King Felix

Miguel Cabrera

Grady Sizemore (Reyes gets honorable mention)

If I have to take this team and try to win right now, I would take the following:

Albert Pujols

Johan Santana

Sizemore/Reyes

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 02:00 PM)
The greatest catcher of all time isn't going to turn Donald Duck into Cy Young, so I'm not certain that is the best barometer. I'm not picking Varitek or defending him, but I think just looking at the staff's current stats doesn't tell a story.

Well Josh Beckett is supposed to be the second coming according to the mainstream media, considering his arsenal of pitches and mental toughness (physically, not so much) he should have been a whole lot better than he was last season. At a certain point, if his pitchers aren't performing Varitek needs to lose that distinction since there are no results to lend credence to this theory.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 09:09 AM)
Felix Hernandez

Justin Verlander

Albert Pujols

Ryan Howard

Alex Rodriguez

Derek Jeter

Dice-K

Johan Santana

Carlos Zambrano

Jose Reyes

Scott Kazmir

Roy Halladay

Roy Oswalt

Big Papi

Justin Morneau

David Ortiz

Joe Mauer

Manny Ramirez

Travis Hafner

Vladimir Guerrero

Grady Sizemore

Ichiro

Miguel Tejada

Vernon Wells

Carlos Beltran

Miguel Cabrera

David Wright

Michael Young

Alphonso Soriano

The three from your list.

In general..

Cole Hammels

King Felix (The future stud) [Liriano if he comes back to form]

Grady Sizemore

Jeremy Reed (The studly beast he is :))

Pujols is the man though. (And he's clean, which I believe anyway)

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 09:09 AM)
three players in all of MLB and the rest of your team would be AA/AAA players, who would you pick?

Felix Hernandez

Justin Verlander

Albert Pujols

Ryan Howard

Alex Rodriguez

Derek Jeter

Dice-K

Johan Santana

Carlos Zambrano

Jose Reyes

Scott Kazmir

Roy Halladay

Roy Oswalt

Big Papi

Justin Morneau

David Ortiz

Joe Mauer

Manny Ramirez

Travis Hafner

Vladimir Guerrero

Grady Sizemore

Ichiro

Miguel Tejada

Vernon Wells

Carlos Beltran

Miguel Cabrera

David Wright

Michael Young

Alphonso Soriano

I would take Felix Hernandez, Albert Pujols and then it would be between A-Rod, Jose Reyes and Joe Mauer, and I'm not sure which way I would choose to go. Then again, it might be wiser to pick three pitchers, so you could go Hernandez, Verlander and Santana and hope the offense would score enough runs to support the three aces of the pitching staff.

3 Would Be:

Felix Hernandez

Grady Sizemore

Miguel Cabrera

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 06:55 PM)
Well Josh Beckett is supposed to be the second coming according to the mainstream media, considering his arsenal of pitches and mental toughness (physically, not so much) he should have been a whole lot better than he was last season. At a certain point, if his pitchers aren't performing Varitek needs to lose that distinction since there are no results to lend credence to this theory.

That is easy to agree with. The pitching coach should also share the blame/credit. But if there was one position I want a veteran presence, someone who has been on a winning side of a WS. Perhaps down a tough pennant race, some playoff experience, it would be catcher.

QUOTE(Balance @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 09:34 AM)
Is there anyone on the Sox current 40-man roster who you'd include?

Should we be worried if there isn't?

I'm not worried, but it is a little bit sad -- considering the sheer number of divisional players I'd select over anyone one player on our ballclub.

I relate this entire issue to our starting rotation. To compensate for the high ceiling of pitchers within our division, we'll basically need an entire staff of #2/#3 starting pitchers. Unless a true #1 emerges out of nowhere.

A lineup, by the sheer fact there are nine representatives, doesn't need a superstar -- but it will need consistency from top to bottom.

Both have possible, and will need to happen if we're looking to compete within the next several years.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 10:22 AM)
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stat...ontext=fielding

I would say he's an average to slightly above average defender, if he would remain at one position for 3-5 years.

all i was saying was that he isn't a defensive liability; like the up and coming Billy Butler :cheers

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 12:32 PM)
Mauer is the only choice at catcher, it's not even close.

McCann is right there too

Catcher

Brian McCann

Post-All Star Break 2006 (AVG/OBP/SLG): .324/.372/.630

As promising young backstops go, everyone knows about Joe Mauer but what about Brian McCann? The 22-year-old catcher who posted a 146 OPS+ in 2006 is highly regarded, but I am not sure baseball fans fully appreciate just how good Brian McCann appears to be. I'll still take Mauer for his superior ability to reach base, but catchers that can hit this well at such a young age are a rarity, and I think 2007 is the season McCann begins to get the appreciation he deserves. baseballanalysts.com

i also wouldn't put it past McCann to put up a season like Piazza did in 96/97 with the dodgers, all the while being 1000x the defensive catcher mike was/is.

Edited by beautox

QUOTE(beautox @ Apr 13, 2007 -> 08:09 AM)
all i was saying was that he isn't a defensive liability; like the up and coming Billy Butler :cheers

McCann is right there too

Catcher

Brian McCann

Post-All Star Break 2006 (AVG/OBP/SLG): .324/.372/.630

As promising young backstops go, everyone knows about Joe Mauer but what about Brian McCann? The 22-year-old catcher who posted a 146 OPS+ in 2006 is highly regarded, but I am not sure baseball fans fully appreciate just how good Brian McCann appears to be. I'll still take Mauer for his superior ability to reach base, but catchers that can hit this well at such a young age are a rarity, and I think 2007 is the season McCann begins to get the appreciation he deserves. baseballanalysts.com

i also wouldn't put it past McCann to put up a season like Piazza did in 96/97 with the dodgers, all the while being 1000x the defensive catcher mike was/is.

I want to see one more season from McCann to make sure he doesn't go the Peralta/Angel Berroa route and his career takes a U-Turn.

There's no doubt Atlanta's young players are unknowns to most of the country. That franchise is just not "high profile" like it used to be when Turner owned it and was the symbol of the organization. Corporate ownership ruins most ballclubs IMO.