Worst Baseball Announcers

messma03

6. Ken "Hawk" Harrelson (Chicago White Sox)

Any Hawk b'cast may or may not feature several of the following catchphrases: "Poof!," "Do some chunkin'," "Sit back, relax, and strap it down," "He's getting ridden hard and put away wet." No, they don't make any more sense within the context of a game. You gotta love how he shuts his trap when the Sox are down big, though. Maybe he's napping?

QUOTE(That funky motion @ Apr 15, 2007 -> 08:02 PM)
So men can say, i got it for the articles.

"oh, i am embarrassed to have a magazine of clothed women in provocative poses, i get this for the terrible articles"

QUOTE(bschmaranz @ Apr 15, 2007 -> 07:36 PM)
Well they got #1 right... McCarver is the worst announcer I've ever heard.

"If you hit the baaaaalll, and it goes over the fence in fair territory, that's a home ruuuuun"

Thats John Madden material right there.

Overall, they do a pretty good job. I for one love The Hawk but knew he would be on that list. #1 and 2 should be reversed but they are right on target. The current Cubs announcers suck. :hawk:

QUOTE(bmags @ Apr 15, 2007 -> 01:26 PM)
"oh, i am embarrassed to have a magazine of clothed women in provocative poses, i get this for the terrible articles"

Their features were actually pretty good when the magazine first came out. I had a subscription for a couple of years in the late 90s.

Harry Caray's got to be tops on any 'worst baseball announcer' list, period. I remember about the last decade and a half of his life where he was a completely incoherent old codger given looking at random things as seen through the lens of Arnie Harris. And if you were listening on the radio, any insight received regarding the pictures, descriptions, and events of the game in progress on account of Harry Caray was purely coincidental. Although it was always entertaining when Andrés Galarraga came to bat. But since the beer-sodden prophets of the bleachers make up the third-largest fan base in baseball, the rest of us must pretend to revere him.

I always thought Tim McCarver sounded like a drunk guy in the bar doing Phil Hartman's impersonation of Bill Clinton on SNL. I always thought that Magic Johnson was the NBA equivalent to McCarver.