Buehrle Fest

DBAHO

I doubt this won't get done solely based on not giving him a NTC. And as someone stated above, it's insulting though that we'll give a NTC to Contreras and Vazquez, and not to Buehrle. I know it will never happen, but KW should be fired for the way things happened over the last week. He's now lost even more leverage, as other teams know we won't re-sign Buehrle.

Edited by fathom

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buehrle deal apparently dead

KANSAS CITY -- Mark Buehrle has been scheduled Monday night to open the White Sox final first-half homestand of the 2007 season, an eight-game run against the Orioles and Twins, covering seven days.

The number of starts the left-hander makes as part of the White Sox organization following his trip to the mound against Baltimore won't be quite as certain in lieu of developments late Friday night regarding negotiations between Buehrle and the franchise for a new multiyear deal.

A source close to the situation confirmed to MLB.com that these negotiations between the two sides have reached an impasse, and there were no plans to renew the discussions.

According to the source, the sticking point in finalizing the four-year, $56 million deal is a no-trade clause wanted by Buehrle's side -- which the White Sox don't want to include. The money or amount of years no longer appear to be an obstacle.

Buehrle has not hidden his desire to stay in Chicago and remain with the White Sox. He talked about it in Spring Training and did the same when talking to MLB.com in May for a story about his family life and the upcoming arrival of his first son for Buehrle and his wife, Jamie.

Even after defeating Tampa Bay on Wednesday, Buehrle once again talked about his desire to be a long-term piece of the White Sox puzzle while shooting down the perpetual and unfounded rumors he was automatically headed to his hometown Cardinals via free agency.

"Everyone knows where my heart is at and where I want to stay and how bad I want to stay here," said Buehrle on Wednesday in Florida. "If anyone has a question or think I'm going to St. Louis after the season, if I'm a free agent, or if it gets to that point, they are wrong.

"I want to stay here and do everything I can to stay here," Buehrle added.

At this point, though, the exclusion of a no-trade clause appears to be a deal-breaker for Buehrle. Signing this proposed deal, giving Buehrle $14 million per season, makes a top-of-the-rotation pitcher with a 102-70 career record a very manageable transaction component even if the White Sox certainly don't appear to be signing Buehrle to trade him.

Reached late Friday, Jeff Berry, Buehrle's agent, would not confirm the impasse or the reason for the stalemate. Berry followed the same path he had been on for the past few days, adding there was nothing new to report.

If this situation remains unchanged through the weekend, the next piece of news announced concerning Buehrle might just be his trade to one of the teams interested in his services such as the Mets or the Dodgers.

"Hey, like I said, if he's here, good," said White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen of Buehrle, prior to Friday's 8-1 loss to the Royals. "If he's not here, somebody else will take his spot.

"He might not be the same. He might be worse or better, but somebody will take his spot. Hopefully, it all works out, but I just throw this thing away."

it's pretty clear to me, if this is actually true, why they didn't put a NTC in this contract

it's because they wanted to sign him to an easily-dealable contract, so they could pawn him off after a deal is signed, to another team, with a contract that's easy to pickup for the team KW is trying to deal with

clearly KW has no intentions of keeping buehrle, if he refuses to include the no-trade clause, the only reason i could see that happening is if the GM intends to trade the player away, i.e the "Sign & Trade" NBA philosophy

terrible

Now, I am not the biggest Buehrle fan and I wouldn't be opposed to trading him for a couple A prospects, but at 4 years, 56 million, how the hell do you F that up? Now, I think 14 million is a bit much for any player, but in this market and what he would get in free agency, you get a chance to lock up Buehrle for 4 years at 14 years each, you f***ing do it! It looks clear to me that KW had no intentions on actually trying to resign him, and it was a PR move by him that went terribly wrong. Bravo Mr. Williams. Bravo!

QUOTE(joesaiditstrue @ Jun 30, 2007 -> 02:35 AM)
it's pretty clear to me, if this is actually true, why they didn't put a NTC in this contract

it's because they wanted to sign him to an easily-dealable contract, so they could pawn him off after a deal is signed, to another team, with a contract that's easy to pickup for the team KW is trying to deal with

clearly KW has no intentions of keeping buehrle, if he refuses to include the no-trade clause, the only reason i could see that happening is if the GM intends to trade the player away, i.e the "Sign & Trade" NBA philosophy

terrible

correct me if I am wrong, but you can't do that in baseball.

Oh, and to make all of this better, you can beat your ass Garland has been paying attention to this whole situation, and he knows that this could very well be his last year in Chicago. Hey, you know what, for every Jamie Navaro, there is a Mark Buehrle and/or Jon Garland. F you Reinsdorf.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jun 30, 2007 -> 03:11 AM)
correct me if I am wrong, but you can't do that in baseball.

You cannot.

This entire debacle, in my mind, reveals a smart part of what KW wanted to do with Buehrle. Number one being that he wanted to sign him to a reasonable deal and then just flip him one year later because he would be under control for three more years, thus shooting his trade value through the roof. Second, he's jacking up Buehrle's trade value by showing teams he'll sign for 4/$56 with a NTC. You'd figure just about every single team that isn't as cheap as us would have no problem doing that, especially Boston.

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Jun 30, 2007 -> 06:18 AM)
You cannot.

This entire debacle, in my mind, reveals a smart part of what KW wanted to do with Buehrle. Number one being that he wanted to sign him to a reasonable deal and then just flip him one year later because he would be under control for three more years, thus shooting his trade value through the roof. Second, he's jacking up Buehrle's trade value by showing teams he'll sign for 4/$56 with a NTC. You'd figure just about every single team that isn't as cheap as us would have no problem doing that, especially Boston.

I agree. I bet he would give Buerhle a NTC for a year, like the others, then he becomes a 5 and 10 guy. So it really is showing teams who you refuse to give a negotiating window to a signal that he would sign. After 2009 Buerhle becomes a 5 and 10 guy, so a NTC wouldn't be needed with the White Sox, if the article or any written so far are true, the hang-up is a no trade for the 2009 season, as I would imagine the White Sox would give him the 1 year clause. Seems pretty ridiculous to me. Buerhle is willing to give up money and years and the White Sox don't want to give him a no trade, something they have no problem giving partially to Javy Vazquez. As White Sox fans, we should all be livid if this is the truth, and KW winds up trading him for garbage.

Edited by Dick Allen

This makes me sick.

He has been one of the most consistent pitchers in baseball since he came up. According to VORP ratings he has been rated as one of the top 18 pitchers in baseball in 5 of the last 7 years, and a top 10 pitcher in 3 of those years.

2001: 8

2002: 10

2003: 59

2004: 12

2005: 9

2006: 155

2007: 18

4/56 is a steal for someone like him. LHP's who throws200 IP every year do not grow on freakin trees.

It is going to be really hard to watch the Sox if this doesn't go thru. My only hope is JR gets involved and makes it happen ala Konerko.

Edited by RME JICO

All I am going to say this that if this is all true sucks for white sox orginzation. I want Buerhle back in worst way. I love how both wanted keep things private and yet everything be leaked to public. I never seen soo much leaked to public about whats going on.

If anyone heard score update at this time : It all depends on who you talk to cowley or Merkin. Cowely says Buerhle rejcted the deal. Also says per score that white sox trying add 5th year or mutual option. Merkin says its completely dead

Just trade him and move on. Lets get something for these guys. By the time this is done I will be sick of the player anyway. Every team should have the right to trade a guy. Your giving him millions of dollars play the game and shut up.

part of me doenst wonder if this was all planned....get the word out there that buerhle was willing to sign for only 4 years 56 mil....and teams would be more willing to trade for him hoping he would be a much easier sign

QUOTE(SoxPride56 @ Jun 30, 2007 -> 08:34 AM)
God I hate Kenny Williams right now... way to f*** this one up buddy!

You know, screw both of them. It's obvious that they don't give a flying f*** about whether we win or not again soon. I expect we'll see the same old crap in the off-season, too.

QUOTE(Straycats @ Jun 30, 2007 -> 02:46 PM)
I read on WSI that Jayson Stark believes that Buehrle will sign by monday

That was probably stated prior to last night.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Jun 30, 2007 -> 02:46 PM)
Now that the article is on MLB.com, I am pretty convinced that this is not a publicity stunt any more.

Sad Story

Anyone else think that they have to trade him prior to Monday night now? When's Floyd's next start supposed to be?

I dont believe its over no trade clause no matter how many sources report it. Until you hear, Kenny, Buerhle, or agent say that then I dont believe it. I think its money and years. I think reinsdorf okay go four years but still wasnt enough convince buerhle. Thats why Hahn went back chicago. It was already rejected after he left Tampa. If vasquez was able get one and contreas I highly doubt the guy who was brought up by kenny wouldnt be able get no trade clause. Im not buying it.

If it is only a lack of a NTC that holds this up then this is the stupidest thing this management has done in a long ass time. Its kinda hard to believe that is the case for me though. I mean, despite what we all say, JR and KW are not idiots. They have to know that getting MB at 4/56 is a STEAL. I mean they just have to. I dunno, it seems a little ridiculous that theyd say no just b/c he wants a NTC. A NTC in a 4 year deal for a 28 year old isnt very risky in general, and then given MB's track record of clean health it poses even less of a risk. I just find it hard to fathom that they are willing to let him go for the sole fact that he demands a NTC. It's just hard to believe. But, if that is the case then KW and JR are being idiotic for allowing this. This whole situation, everything about it just pisses me off. I'm still holding out a little hope Buerhle remains a member of the White Sox, but this whole situation is truly ridiculous.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Jun 30, 2007 -> 09:51 AM)
I have tickets Monday, I would love to organize a walk out right after Buehrle takes the mound or something.

I'd join you in this walkout. I'd give a standing ovation and walk right out after that. Maybe throw up a sign telling management the mistake they are making in trading him. At least, I believe now they will trade him.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Jul 1, 2007 -> 12:20 AM)
Aside from winning its first world series in 88 years, which I think more and more I was an accident,

An accident?

C'mon dude, we won the world series because we were the best team in 2005. We had the best starting pitching etc., and we swept the final series.

Now on this Buehrle situation, well it won't look good for the Sox management if indeed Buehrle doesn't sign because of a no trade clause, especially if they've agreed on financial terms. I just wonder if the Sox brass think Buehrle may at all in any of the next 4 seasons return to that post 2006 ASB level, which I think most people will think is pretty ludicrous considering his numbers and lack of arm problems as a pitcher.

The Sox really gained momentum after 2005 and brought in a lot of new fans, increasing attendance and payroll. If Buehrle doesn't stay here, I think it's really going to hurt that a lot.