Buehrle Fest

DBAHO

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 3, 2007 -> 09:14 PM)
FWIW, Buehrle finally gave AJP the watch he owed him from the no-hitter. The fact he gave it to him now would make it seem like he might be leaving soon.

He should either be signed or traded by Thursday morning.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 3, 2007 -> 09:52 AM)
$19 million in guaranteed money is still a lot. Considering JR and his buddies bought the White Sox and Comiskey Park, and land around it less than 30 years ago for about $20 million it may put things into perspective. If Buerhle wants to set generations of Buerhles up for life or maybe he has other aspirations 20 or 30 years from now, a few million can become an awful lot in that time span.

You have heard of the Illinois Sports Authority, right?

Besides, people keep pulling out that $20 million dollar crap, as if to impress people with how much money they have made off of the Sox... Go back and tell me what the Dow Jones was in 1980, and tell me how well the investors who bought the Sox have preformed... They haven't even come close.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 3, 2007 -> 09:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
FWIW, Buehrle finally gave AJP the watch he owed him from the no-hitter. The fact he gave it to him now would make it seem like he might be leaving soon.

My gosh, please let it stop.

What did the tarot cards say this morning, how about Buehrle's horoscope, what about the tea leaves or maybe the magic 8 ball? Or maybe the butler did it in the study with the pipewrench. This is not a game of Clue. It's not as if a watch can't be deliverd by FedEx.

QUOTE(29thandPoplar @ Jul 4, 2007 -> 03:56 PM)
My gosh, please let it stop.

What did the tarot cards say this morning, how about Buehrle's horoscope, what about the tea leaves or maybe the magic 8 ball? Or maybe the butler did it in the study with the pipewrench. This is not a game of Clue. It's not as if a watch can't be deliverd by FedEx.

Good grief, you do know this was Farmer who was saying it's interesting that he gave him the watch now? I guess I'll stop posting what people are actually saying, and I'll sit back and read the daily pissing contests that are going on now about who's a better fan, etc.

Edited by fathom

Rick Morrissey's column today makes a good point. Buehrle is a special case and could net $16-17 million per year on the open market. And if somebody comes to the conclusion that he's more reliable than Zito, just without a Cy Young...

Look, the Sox wouldn't be opening Pandora's box by giving Buehrle a no-trade clause, and the roster wouldn't have 15 guys with no-trade clauses by 2009. If you can't give a no-trade clause to a guy who's pitched 200+ innings for six straight years, who can you give one to?

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 4, 2007 -> 11:01 AM)
Good grief, you do know this was Farmer who was saying it's interesting that he gave him the watch now? I guess I'll stop posting what people are actually saying, and I'll sit back and read the daily pissing contests that are going on now about who's a better fan, etc.

Did Farmer then say that it seems like he may be leaving soon?

This from Ken Rosenthal:

The Mark Buehrle contract will get done. It has to get done. The difference between Buehrle and the White Sox — a year-and-a-half of no-trade protection — is too small for the deal to collapse.

The Sox are offering Buehrle a full no-trade clause for 2008, the first year of his proposed four-year, $56 million contract extension.

Buehrle, 28, would become a 10-and-5 player — 10 years of major-league service, five with the same club — in July of 2010, giving him the power to veto any deal.

Bridging the gap shouldn't be all that difficult.

Just do it with money.

The Sox could increase the average annual value of Buehrle's deal. They could include a multi-million dollar bonus if he is traded. They could even give him a fifth guaranteed year, though they already have made a concession by going beyond three.

Whichever path they chose, the Sox still would be getting a bargain. Buehrle might command a six-year, $96 million contract as a free agent this off-season — and he's willing to sign for $50 million less.

Consider: The Astros signed right-hander Roy Oswalt to a five-year, $73 million contract with full no-trade protection last season when Oswalt was more than a year away from free agency.

Buehrle isn't as good as Oswalt, but he's not far off — plus, he's left-handed. The White Sox would be signing him for one fewer year and a lower average salary than Oswalt at a time when the price for starting pitching is skyrocketing.

The difficult part is over. The deal will get done.

The White Sox still will be sellers if they sign Buehrle, but their chances of making an impact trade would diminish significantly.

The team's other potential free agents, outfielder Jermaine Dye and second baseman Tadahito Iguchi, aren't playing well enough to generate quality offers, and few clubs are interested in acquiring right-hander Jose Contreras, who is guaranteed $20 million over the next two seasons and in decline.

Still, White Sox general manager Ken Williams is endlessly creative, and he apparently has a number of ideas in play.

Williams, for example, has talked with the Devil Rays about his available starting pitchers — Buehrle, Contreras and right-hander Javier Vazquez.

In each case, the Devil Rays could either flip the pitcher they acquired or retain him as a veteran anchor, presumably with the White Sox including significant money in the trade.

That's just one possibility; Williams probably has had similar conversations with 20 other clubs. In any case, he almost certainly would use the Buehrle signing as a launching point for other moves.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 4, 2007 -> 11:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well then post it was Farmer. You didn't. What's the difference, Farmer yaps so much anyways even he doesn't know what he's spouting half the time. I do agree though that it if posting less made you happier, please do it.

QUOTE(29thandPoplar @ Jul 4, 2007 -> 04:40 PM)
Well then post it was Farmer. You didn't. What's the difference, Farmer yaps so much anyways even he doesn't know what he's spouting half the time. I do agree though that it if posting less made you happier, please do it.

Farmer was the first person to report Buehrle wanted 14 million a year.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 4, 2007 -> 11:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Farmer was the first person to report Buehrle wanted 14 million a year.

That's nice. Information was leaking all over the place, who knows where Farmer picked it up. You have pissing contests going on between reporters and Merkin, it is a spaghetti bowl of information. You were the guy who as I recall from reading, believed Rosenthal when he said the Sox could have gotten more for Freddy. Well now he is saying Buehrle will sign. Why not go with that instead of Buehrle giving a watch to AJ as a doomsday scenario that MB will be traded?

You see, it's all a tangled web. Let it play out, then everyone can squawk. Just because things arent getting done in accordance with SoxTalk posters' timetables means nothing. Things will happen in due course.

QUOTE(29thandPoplar @ Jul 4, 2007 -> 04:58 PM)
That's nice. Information was leaking all over the place, who knows where Farmer picked it up. You have pissing contests going on between reporters and Merkin, it is a spaghetti bowl of information. You were the guy who as I recall from reading, believed Rosenthal when he said the Sox could have gotten more for Freddy. Well now he is saying Buehrle will sign. Why not go with that instead of Buehrle giving a watch to AJ as a doomsday scenario that MB will be traded?

You see, it's all a tangled web. Let it play out, then everyone can squawk. Just because things arent getting done in accordance with SoxTalk posters' timetables means nothing. Things will happen in due course.

Farmer got his information directly from Buehrle about the 14 million, and that happened when everyone in the world was quoting 4/50. There's one big difference between the Rosenthal's (even though I think it was Jayson Stark) report on this situation and the Garcia one. On the Garcia trade, he said he got his information from other team's executives. Rosenthal does nothing but give his own opinion on this Buehrle deal though, as he would be shocked if we didn't get this done due to the concessions being made by Buehrle.

I do find it you mention time tables, as it's been KW and Cowley mentioning when they wanted things done. This has to get done so one way or another, as even KW has said he won't make any other moves until the Buehrle situation is resolved.

Good gawd the idea of Buehrle being dealt to TAMPA BAY? Hellish, for us AND him.

I'm feeling a lot more optimistic about this deal happening of late. I wish they would just do it so we can all move on.

I don't think I"ve ever seen a 100 page thread here before, LOL...

The funny thing is, Tampa doesn't have a whole lot to trade us. Dukes is too much of a character issue, Baldelli is hurt too much, and they're not going to trade Upton or Young now. The only guy is Crawford, but that would make no sense at all. I can't see them trading Longoria or Brignac.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE(29thandPoplar @ Jul 4, 2007 -> 09:58 AM)

Whoa....I'm leaving for a BBQ in 45 minutes, if Buehrle isn't signed...I revolt.

Bottom line is, sure as fans we are getting worked up over the drag out in the Buehrle situation but with the amount of respect the two sides have for each other and with how close this deal is, I just can't see it not happening (unless there is some huge blow-up with one side) and after making the move the Sox will likely focus on moving Jose or potentially Javier (If KW doesn't get a great offer for Jose he may opt to move Garland or Javier knowing he could get a lot more young talent which is something he needs to get).

Plus 2 years from now, when we watch Buehrle win yet another Sox game....we wont' remember that it took a little longer to sign him, we will remember that the org stepped up and did sign him.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 4, 2007 -> 12:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Farmer got his information directly from Buehrle about the 14 million, and that happened when everyone in the world was quoting 4/50. There's one big difference between the Rosenthal's (even though I think it was Jayson Stark) report on this situation and the Garcia one. On the Garcia trade, he said he got his information from other team's executives. Rosenthal does nothing but give his own opinion on this Buehrle deal though, as he would be shocked if we didn't get this done due to the concessions being made by Buehrle.

I do find it you mention time tables, as it's been KW and Cowley mentioning when they wanted things done. This has to get done so one way or another, as even KW has said he won't make any other moves until the Buehrle situation is resolved.

Rosenthal was adding his opinion on the Garcia thing too. After all, he went with it and printed it. If he didn't believe that particular viewpoint he would have stated otherwise.

And that is exactly the point, it all depends on who you believe in this scenario, or any other scenario for that matter. Personally I don't believe the timing of gifting a Rolex means anything.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 4, 2007 -> 12:10 PM)
The funny thing is, Tampa doesn't have a whole lot to trade us. Dukes is too much of a character issue, Baldelli is hurt too much, and they're not going to trade Upton or Young now. The only guy is Crawford, but that would make no sense at all. I can't see them trading Longoria or Brignac.

I think Kenny wants Al Reyes.

You can say a lot of things about KW, but he's not stupid. This is obviously such a good deal that you can't help but wonder if he genuinely wants to sign him.

Secondly, the NTC issue almost makes you wonder if he doesn't want to sign him on the cheap then turn around and trade him (but I can't believe he would survive such a devious move).

QUOTE(29thandPoplar @ Jul 4, 2007 -> 05:52 PM)
Rosenthal was adding his opinion on the Garcia thing too. After all, he went with it and printed it. If he didn't believe that particular viewpoint he would have stated otherwise.

Nope, Rosenthal was quoting other baseball executives about the Garcia thing. The thing is, everyone in baseball knows that 4/56 is too good of a deal for the Sox to pass up. However, that doesn't mean it will happen.

The Sox don't have enough talent to trade for Crawford. I think Longoria could be possible. With Iwamura, Upton, and Brignac they may feel comfortable with their infield. Longoria isn't doing that well in AA. Sadly the most likely thing is Rocco. I'd be OK with taking on Baldelli if the trade was Contreras and money. But Buehrle or Vazquez and money seems like too much to give for a permanent DL resident. Given how much KW likes "buying low" on injured players, I have to think Rocco was the target.

I think they would move Brignac. Longoria isn't going anywhere, not with the way he's been hitting. But Brignac isn't exactly tearing it up offensively, he's not very solid with the glove, and Brendan Harris and Zobrist are ahead of him. I think he would definitely be a key piece that could be had. Another player who could be available is Joel Guzman, the former Dodger prospect. He's currently playing third base in the minors, but he has Longoria and Iwamura ahead of him. He probably could be moved to left field and could be a power hitting corner OF we seem to be lacking in our system.