2007 Post ASB MLB Catch-All Thread

Chisoxfn

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Sep 1, 2007 -> 09:07 PM)
Where's our Clay Buchholz?

Man does his stuff look nasty

That's what I want to know.

It's rather sad that Boston drafted both Buchholz and Pedroia in the 1st round in 2005, yet we're still dealing with Lance Broadway's crap in AAA.

Doctors agree: Surgery for Rolen

By Derrick Goold

ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH

09/02/2007

rolen830flash.jpg

When he no longer wanted the ball hit to him at third base for fear he wasn't healthy enough to make the throw to first, Scott Rolen knew his season was essentially over.

Rolen will meet with team officials and medical personnel in the next few days to determine when he'll have surgery on his left shoulder. While general manager Walt Jocketty would like Rolen to consider contributions he might still make to the team, one team official said there is no plan in place to have Rolen play again this year.

"I am not the man for this job right now," Rolen said. "I ran it to my limit and I have nothing left. I have to make a change. I'm no longer the everyday third baseman anymore."

[Link]

Serious eye injury could end Encarnacion's career

By Derrick Goold

ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH

09/02/2007

injured01flash.jpg

Cardinals outfielder Juan Encarnacion’s career is in jeopardy because of a severe, season-ending eye injury suffered when a foul ball struck him Friday night at Busch Stadium.

Encarnacion has multiple fractures in his eye socket and a "serious" injury to his left eye, the team announced Saturday. The extent of the damage to his left eye will not be known for at least several days as the swelling calms. One team source acknowledged that Encarnacion’s sight in the left eye is threatened and said the outlook "for the return of his vision is extremely guarded at this point."

A team official said Encarnacion’s orbital bone "exploded" and that there was significant harm to the eye itself. The concern is that Encarnacion’s optic nerve was damaged by the trauma.

[Link]

Cardinals outfielder still in hospital, career could be over after serious eye injury

By R.B. FALLSTROM, AP Sports Writer

September 2, 2007

capt.f83fc9756b2f405396c2860f4ec3d1c4.re

ST. LOUIS (AP) -- The damage a foul ball did to Juan Encarnacion's left eye was the worst the St. Louis Cardinals' medical director has ever seen to a baseball player. Dr. George Paletta was not optimistic Sunday that the outfielder will regain full vision after his frightening injury and resume his career.

"It's the worst trauma I've seen. Absolutely," Paletta said, adding that the future holds no guarantees. "You hope the best for Juan, but he suffered a severe injury with a very guarded prognosis. It's way too early to say whether he will or he won't, and if he doesn't what percentage of vision loss he may have."

Paletta said the eye socket was essentially crushed on impact, comparing the injured area to the disintegration of an egg shell or ice cream cone, and that the optic nerve had sustained severe trauma. Reconstructive surgery may not take place for several days while doctors wait for swelling to subside. Paletta said there was no rupture to the eyeball.

Encarnacion, 31, was still experiencing headaches and nausea, preventing his release. Paletta said a positive sign was that the outfielder's vision had improved some, although he anticipated that progress would be slow.

"So at this point we keep our fingers crossed, say a prayer for him and make sure he's getting the best treatment he can get," Paletta said.

[Link]

Two really good pitching matchups today for anyone who's gonna be watching baseball. Sabathia vs. Santana, with the Indians trying to go 5-0 against Johan. Also Oswalt vs. Sheets in the NL. And not a great matchup like the others, but something I want to watch is Loaiza vs. Zambrano.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Sep 3, 2007 -> 05:14 PM)
Two really good pitching matchups today for anyone who's gonna be watching baseball. Sabathia vs. Santana, with the Indians trying to go 5-0 against Johan. Also Oswalt vs. Sheets in the NL. And not a great matchup like the others, but something I want to watch is Loaiza vs. Zambrano.

I'll never understand why so many NL teams challenge the #8 hitters with runners on base and two outs.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 3, 2007 -> 02:26 PM)
I'll never understand why so many NL teams challenge the #8 hitters with runners on base and two outs.

Zambrano just did this to LaRoche and it cost him...and as I type Loaiza hits a 2 rbi single

QUOTE(3E8 @ Sep 3, 2007 -> 12:14 PM)

Sheets v. Oswalt was a good match up on paper today. And once the bullpens get involved ...

Sheets v. Oswalt was a good match up on paper today. And once the bullpens get involved ...

Sheets and Oswalt hardly held up their end of the bargain, and I'm sure fathom is livid for the go ahead run scoring on an Estrada passed ball.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Sep 3, 2007 -> 10:11 PM)
The NL Central is an absolute joke.

Two divisions per league and we don't have this problem. Two division winners with two wildcards is something I'd love to see.

If there were two divisions this year, you'd have the Mets, Padres and D'Backs as locks and one helluva race between eight(ish) teams for the last WC spot.