WOOT! THREE WAY TIE FOR LAST PLACE IN MLB!

kapkomet

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 11, 2007 -> 10:42 PM)
You guys want to lose every night to get a shot at those names?

I'll be breathless counting the days til the draft.

Give me free agents and Japanese players any day over no names in the draft that likely will not pan out judging the Sox history of draft picks.

Unlike Jason Schmidt, Juan Pierre, 90% of the other "big name" free agents from last season, Kaz Matsui, Kei Igawa and Hideki Irabu, right?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Give me free agents and Japanese players any day over no names in the draft that likely will not pan out judging the Sox history of draft picks.

Again you think that this is the Yankees with unlimited funds and unlimited resources. And not a team that has over 90 mill already tied up for next year. To gain flexibility you have to do what you want move expensive parts.

I would rather see if we can pick up an impact guy that can help the franchise for a very long time. But then again if this was 1987 you would want a few more wins and some other team would of had Frank Thomas. Because at that time, Frank Thomas was just a person that you never seen play. Top prospects like this can change the face of a franchise. Next year is very important when it comes to scouting our impact draft.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 12, 2007 -> 03:42 AM)

At least you're not asking for the Sox to spend too much money, as those guys come cheap.

lol, I bet you've never watched a college baseball game in your life.

not that i need to post this after someone already did better research, but:

1985 B.J. Surhoff Milwaukee Brewers Catcher - long MLB career.

1986 Jeff King Pittsburgh Pirates Third baseman - hit 154 major league home runs

1987 Ken Griffey, Jr. Seattle Mariners Outfielder - Best player I've ever seen.

1988 Andy Benes San Diego Padres Pitcher - major league pitcher

1989 Ben McDonald Baltimore Orioles Pitcher -

1990 Chipper Jones Atlanta Braves Shortstop - one of the best 3basemen ever

1991 Brien Taylor New York Yankees Pitcher - ...

1992 Phil Nevin Houston Astros Third baseman - successful MLB career

1993 Alex Rodriguez Seattle Mariners Shortstop - greatest player of all time?

1994 Paul Wilson New York Mets Pitcher

1995 Darin Erstad Anaheim Angels Outfielder - long MLB career

1996 Kris Benson Pittsburgh Pirates Pitcher - big league pitcher

1997 Matt Anderson Detroit Tigers Pitcher - made it to the bigs, once a closer

1998 Pat Burrell Philadelphia Phillies Third baseman - speaks for itself

1999 Josh Hamilton Tampa Bay Devil Rays Outfielder - once bust now legit OF

2000 Adrián González Florida Marlins First baseman - a major league 1basemen.

2001 Joe Mauer Minnesota Twins Catcher - obvious

2002 Bryan Bullington Pittsburgh Pirates Pitcher - okay 2

2003 Delmon Young Tampa Bay Devil Rays Outfielder - one of the most promising hitters in the game.

2004 Matt Bush San Diego Padres Shortstop - here's your one

2005 Justin Upton Arizona Diamondbacks Shortstop - one of the most promising young players ingame

2006 Luke Hochevar Kansas City Royals Pitcher - made debut in majors

2007 David Price - too soon to judge

QUOTE(BearSox @ Sep 11, 2007 -> 11:00 PM)
LOLZLZLZ!!!!!! crapshoot? Alex Rodriquez, Chipper Jones, Ken Griffey Jr.... crapshoot?

No he's right. He already acknowledged "great" which I'm assuming Griffey and others. Even though I don't pay much into #1 picks for certain teams considering the inabilty to sign a player who was actually better than the one picked/$$$ issues with that player or with the "cheap" organization.

The 2 best offensive 3B in baseball today are former #1 picks.

It isn't even about how often the #1 pick bombs my main point is the flexibility you gain with the top pick. You see when you have the 1st pick you can take ANYONE you choose, the ability to take whoever the hell you want is just incredibly valuable in my mind.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 11, 2007 -> 11:06 PM)
It isn't even about how often the #1 pick bombs my main point is the flexibility you gain with the top pick. You see when you have the 1st pick you can take ANYONE you choose, the ability to take whoever the hell you want is just incredibly valuable in my mind.

Exactly. That's the difference if a team wants to be cheap/has a need as far as postion that they want (Bullington) and taking the best player in that draft clearly regardless of $$$$, or specific need (Upton)

Draft picks are not that position sensitive in baseball as in say, basketball or football. I could give a rip if we drafted 1 or 6. Draft a bunch of guys and hope something pans out. Half the time they are trade bait before hitting the mlb roster.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 12, 2007 -> 06:08 AM)
Juan Uribe's 31 walks places him 4th on the team in that category. It is not Walker's fault the offense blows, it is definitely KW's as he apparently didn't consider the importance of being on base until recently.

thats a product of uribe playing every damn day...hes seriously the only guys who almost never gets a day off....im guessing hes behind thome konerko and dye.....AJ also doesnt walk frequently, and rests more than uribe.....beyond that at every position, 3b, CF, LF, 2b, we have had a rotating door.....id be willing to bet if you took crede + fields walks they are more than uribes...same goes for richar + iguchi, same as pods/owens/terrero/gonzalez or whoever has been in LF and CF....

but yes i agree, a major flaw in the way KW put this team together, was that he had too many guys who dont get on base, like uribe and AJ, add into that the fact that we are playing andy gonzalez on a consistent basis and you are gonna have a really bad offense

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 12, 2007 -> 05:08 AM)
Juan Uribe's 31 walks places him 4th on the team in that category. It is not Walker's fault the offense blows, it is definitely KW's as he apparently didn't consider the importance of being on base until recently.

Uribe has the 3rd most plate appearances on the team, in case you were interested. And there's a big dropoff after the top 5.

Name Games played plate appearances

Paul Konerko 136 569

Jermaine Dye 123 497

Juan Uribe 133 484

A.J. Pierzynski 125 458

Jim Thome 115 470

Tadahito Iguchi (37 Phi) 90 371

Josh Fields 85 344

Jerry Owens 78 320

Darin Erstad 78 307

Rob Mackowiak (26 SD) 85 260

Scott Podsednik 51 184

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 12, 2007 -> 11:07 AM)
No, he's not. No matter how terrible people seem to think the front office is, they're not going to take a late 1st/early second round talent with the #1 overall pick anyone who thinks otherwise is just pathetically pessimistic.

I have a feeling they will sign the top guy, and they better. We need the talent.

The 2 best offensive 3B in baseball today are former #1 picks.

Really? The White Sox can take players who do not live in Canada, The United States, or other US territories?

There has been really only one bad #2 pick since 1997, and ironically it was by the Twins.

#3 pick? Eww, don't ask.

#4 picks include Billy Koch, Gavin Floyd, Jason Grilli, and Kerry Wood.

#5? Not very good either. Surprised to see John Patterson was drafted 11 years ago

#6 Loads of hype in recent years including Grienke, Sowers, and Baldelli, but no good picks since 1992.

You can waste a lot of time at baseball reference. Judging by the last 10 years, I'd rather pick second.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Sep 12, 2007 -> 07:25 PM)
Really? The White Sox can take players who do not live in Canada, The United States, or other US territories?

You're seriously going to play that game with me? Quite frankly I am offended.

You can waste a lot of time at baseball reference. Judging by the last 10 years, I'd rather pick second.

If you have the #1 pick you can take the guy who was chosen second in any of those drafts. That's the cool thing about having the top choice come June, you can take ANYONE* you want.

* "Anyone" of course refers to residents of Canada, The United States or any territories of the USA (ex: Puerto Rico) who meet the basic requirements of eligibility for the June Amateur Draft. Those who are not eligible for the June Amateur Draft DO NOT fall into the category of "anyone." So 16 year old kids playing stick ball with milk cartons and rocks who are residents of the Dominican Republic do not count as "anyone."

You're seriously going to play that game with me? Quite frankly I am offended.

If you have the #1 pick you can take the guy who was chosen second in any of those drafts. That's the cool thing about having the top choice come June, you can take ANYONE* you want.

* "Anyone" of course refers to residents of Canada, The United States or any territories of the USA (ex: Puerto Rico) who meet the basic requirements of eligibility for the June Amateur Draft. Those who are not eligible for the June Amateur Draft DO NOT fall into the category of "anyone." So 16 year old kids playing stick ball with milk cartons and rocks who are residents of the Dominican Republic do not count as "anyone."

If we don't establish it and drill it into people's heads, they're going to ask why we don't draft someone like Felix Hernandez. I still see the occasional "let's trade the top pick instead" post.