Jon Garland traded for Orlando Cabrera

Steve9347

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 04:29 PM)
With "anoher deal imminent," being reported and Uribe possibly being shopped what are we going to see? I see us opening more holes, but Hunter in CF would be nice, but I like A-Row also. Uribe would be a real good super sub, but at $4.5M that probably won't happen. I don't see him as a 2B option either and it doesn't sound like KW does either and that's what counts obviously. Richar seems to be the leading candidate to stay at 2B. I see Crede or Fields as possible trade chips and we need help in the bullpen. Could that come from Japan? The move for Cabrera opens up more questions. I don't have a problem with Cabrera, but wish it was Contreras was the one that went in the deal and not Jon. Is Contreras still a trade option for the Sox?

from what quote i saw from a-row, i dont think he's going to end up here. maybe it's just the way he was quoted, but he was quoted as basically saying, yeah, i talked to kenny. no comment.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 10:29 PM)
With "anoher deal imminent," being reported and Uribe possibly being shopped what are we going to see? I see us opening more holes, but Hunter in CF would be nice, but I like A-Row also. Uribe would be a real good super sub, but at $4.5M that probably won't happen. I don't see him as a 2B option either and it doesn't sound like KW does either and that's what counts obviously. Richar seems to be the leading candidate to stay at 2B. I see Crede or Fields as possible trade chips and we need help in the bullpen. Could that come from Japan? The move for Cabrera opens up more questions. I don't have a problem with Cabrera, but wish it was Contreras was the one that went in the deal and not Jon. Is Contreras still a trade option for the Sox?

No one is reporting that another deal is imminent.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 11:26 AM)
The current direction? What is that? A blind attempt at competing in this division? Even with Miguel Cabrera, we don't stand a chance to compete with Detroit and Cleveland with our current pitching staff. If anything, I think the perfect fit for the current direction of the Sox to trade guys away.

Now that's a winning attitude.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 12:17 PM)
To me all this trade does is raise more questions as to how the team will ultimately look. More will happen, this is just a start and I will reserve some judgement until the picture becomes clearer. However I agree with most of the sentiment here, it would've been nice to get more for Garland. It will be interesting to read Williams' comments on this move.

I am really quite surprised that we did not pick up bullpen help from the angels. but this trade as bad as it is, will be based on the cash we get to use on another free agent like Hunter or rowand, and then you will hear KW talk about how strong we are up the middle. Very sorry to hear this happen, Garland will sign long term with the angels as he is back in california where he wants to be.

I think this trade is better than some think. The Angel fans on scout.com are p!ssed, just like us. We are mad b/c we are losing a liked player, and so are they. This is a small salary dump (about $3M) and that can be spent elsewhere. This also gives us the flexibility to trade Uribe. An insider on Yahoo.com said Garland is a #3 starter (maybe on a GOOD team-sorry no link). I think some of us here may be overrating Garland. Also, don't forget the winter meetings have yet to happen

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 09:42 AM)
I wonder if Yanks could be interested in Konerko.

What would they give up though?

The big 3 of Hughes, Chamberlain and Kennedy is basically untouchable on their end.

Unless it was a 3 way deal, but then we would need a replacement at 1B (Miggy is really the only guy I can see here, unless we traded for a Richie Sexson on the cheap, and hope he rebounds).

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 10:03 AM)
Why couldn't this trade have been made BEFORE the Sox were dealing with Uribe's contract?

Is it going to be easier to dump Uribe at this point than it would've been to acquire Cabrera after declining Uribe's option?

I imagine the Sox think that with the weak FA market for SS, and Eckstein asking for 4/36, the Sox think that a team needing a SS, may come to them instead.

If you can get a prospect out of it, then it's been worth it, rather than letting Uribe go for nothing.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 03:23 PM)
A little help here, please. I haven't been able to check this thread for about 2 hours with the commute home, cooking, etc. Is there anything new since then? I don't feel like reading 10 pages of what is probably a lot of back-and-forth debate on how much this trade sucks or may suck eventually.

Other than KW saying he's still trying to land a big fish, no. Probably also worth noting we don't know how much money is coming back, but that's about it.

if we trade konerko i would peg us as instant front runners to land miguel cabrera or carl crawford, assuming we landed soem young prospects for pk and they would be packaged in some sort with some package of gio/dls/sweeney etc to get one of those guys

QUOTE(daa84 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 05:26 PM)
if we trade konerko i would peg us as instant front runners to land miguel cabrera or carl crawford, assuming we landed soem young prospects for pk and they would be packaged in some sort with some package of gio/dls/sweeney etc to get one of those guys

The angels should have been target #1 for this as they could have throw us Kotchman plus spects perhaps with Garland in the package. I would say there are only a handful of other teams that need both a 1B and have the spects that we desire.

QUOTE(Harvin4Heisman @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 10:54 PM)
I think this trade is better than some think. The Angel fans on scout.com are p!ssed, just like us. We are mad b/c we are losing a liked player, and so are they. This is a small salary dump (about $3M) and that can be spent elsewhere. This also gives us the flexibility to trade Uribe. An insider on Yahoo.com said Garland is a #3 starter (maybe on a GOOD team-sorry no link). I think some of us here may be overrating Garland. Also, don't forget the winter meetings have yet to happen

You only over value Garland if you listen to the Angels whine

The hot flash of anger to general acceptance in this thread reminds me of menopause. Let's judge this trade like the Carlos Lee trade. Trading Lee opened up a lot of acquisitions for the Sox as we all know. Let's wait to judge this trade at least until April or whenever Ozzie gives Cabrera a start at first that ends his season.

I wonder if Yanks could be interested in Konerko.

We are thinking the same on this one.

Like Chisoxfn said yesterday, lots of teams would be interested in Konerko. Whether there's a fit or not is another story. With Williams all but saying more deals are imminent, my guess is they're not nickel and dime trades.

He also said today he's having trouble acquiring bullpen help so it may take a bigger trading chip to get something done.

It is clear though, he is targeting good defensive players which will help a pitching staff.