Miguel Cabrera to the Tigers

fathom

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 09:50 PM)
exactly my thoughts... what a joke!! Sorry KW we've accepted your excuses last year with the whole "Market Correction" crap. But if you offer Hunter that much money and then come back and say "im not going to give you a dollar if i only have 50 cents to offer" crap, you lose a TON of credibility. What a joke this offseason is turning out to be... we might as well re-sign Erstad and sign Eckstein at this point. .

I love how Kenny thinks he can do what he did in the 2004 offseason again... That 2004 team going into 2005 didn't have as many holes.. all we needed was a couple of pen guys a leadoff hitter and 1 starter. The rest of the team was pretty much filled. .

The team we have now has waaaaaaaaayyy too many holes... this team is going nowhere fast.. and even JD sees that.

Rowand isn't worth it and Jones probably turned it down (well, Boras did). How's about that for a theory?

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 06:36 PM)
Well hopefully at least now, this shows KW the importance of having a damn good farm system.

It's been neglected for years, and no longer can that continue if this team wants to get back on top of the division.

What good is a farm system when we cannot sign them to a second contract? We get a guy MLB ready, he plays a couple seasons, hits his stride and then he's too expensive for us to sign.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 04:36 AM)
What good is a farm system when we cannot sign them to a second contract? We get a guy MLB ready, he plays a couple seasons, hits his stride and then he's too expensive for us to sign.

I completely disagree with this. The most success we've had with signing guys is when they're already under contract. Basically, it's Hahn's specialty.

How did Cabrera find out he'd been traded? Ozzie Guillen's wife told him. Guillen's wife and Cabrera's wife are close friends. So when Guillen called his wife to tell her that Cabrera had just been traded, she replied: "Guess what? He's sitting right next to me. I'm driving him to the airport."

QUOTE(Chombi @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 10:29 PM)
I'm betting that Dye phone call consisted of...Something happens this week or tell Hahn I'd like to be dealt before New Years.

While I normally agree with you- I totally disagree with this.

Dye wants to be on the South Side. He wouldn't have taken a home town discount if he didn't. My guess is he called KW to hang in there. Dye is too cool of a guy to dog management like that.

While I normally agree with you- I totally disagree with this.

Dye wants to be on the South Side. He wouldn't have taken a home town discount if he didn't. My guess is he called KW to hang in there. Dye is too cool of a guy to dog management like that.

It may have been a bit excessive, I'll give you that.

And JD may like it here, but I wouldn't think he has a desire to be here over any other place. For starters I am fairly certain he lives in Zona. A trade to them is out of the question but neighboring places like Cali may be something that would intrigue him

The main reason I made the comment was how the phone call was portrayed yesterday. "The whole JD called 2 minutes after to KW because KW had promised both of those guys to him."

So that is where that came from. On top of that, the Hahn thing is more of a joke but the whispers have to start somewhere.

QUOTE(Chombi @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 11:37 AM)
It may have been a bit excessive, I'll give you that.

And JD may like it here, but I wouldn't think he has a desire to be here over any other place. For starters I am fairly certain he lives in Zona. A trade to them is out of the question but neighboring places like Cali may be something that would intrigue him

The main reason I made the comment was how the phone call was portrayed yesterday. "The whole JD called 2 minutes after to KW because KW had promised both of those guys to him."

So that is where that came from. On top of that, the Hahn thing is more of a joke but the whispers have to start somewhere.

JD has taken less money to stay with us twice.

This is where he wants to be and most likely finish his career. As far as KW promising both guys to him...who the hell would believe that. "We're going to get Miggy Cabrera!" Picture that being said back in August when he wasn't even on the market.

I'm sure JD called to see what Plan B was, but I'd bet the farm he didn't call to dog his good friend, KW.

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 11:33 AM)
What is there to contribute to this discussion, KW is getting played like dog.

If he does a move that is decent, i will eat crow all offseason.

Angels OVERPAID.

Tigers OVERPAID.

No team went as high as the Angels for Hunter, obviously, it sounded like Hunter was surprised he was being offered that and took it.

The Tigers took Willis who, it seems, the Sox didn't want AND dealt away their replacement for a 42 year old LHP and their top position prospect.

Plus, the Sox didn't have the horses to get the Marlin deal done, which IS Kenny's fault.

But, people seem to forget, they fired the guy in charge of the minors...this new guy may be trying to start from scratch. Maybe he didn't like Carter as much as BA or anyone else did? Just like a new CEO or GM or anything, they want to make their mark and that mean cleaning out the old guys personnel. Give Wilder, Regier, Bell and Laumann do in the next draft.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 09:50 PM)
exactly my thoughts... what a joke!! Sorry KW we've accepted your excuses last year with the whole "Market Correction" crap. But if you offer Hunter that much money and then come back and say "im not going to give you a dollar if i only have 50 cents to offer" crap, you lose a TON of credibility. What a joke this offseason is turning out to be... we might as well re-sign Erstad and sign Eckstein at this point. .

I love how Kenny thinks he can do what he did in the 2004 offseason again... That 2004 team going into 2005 didn't have as many holes.. all we needed was a couple of pen guys a leadoff hitter and 1 starter. The rest of the team was pretty much filled. .

The team we have now has waaaaaaaaayyy too many holes... this team is going nowhere fast.. and even JD sees that.

The bigger joke is KW has more money to play with than most GMs. He had a payroll of $108 million and the team was competing for the worst record in baseball in September. His "market correction" ain't happening anytime soon. He's going to have to break up some of the big contracts he's passed out and try a different combination. This one isn't working.

The other thing comparing it to the offseason prior to 2005 is that the division is much better. He has a long way to go to make this team a contender. He still has time, but he's talking out of both sides of his mouth. He's says its not about the superstars, yet he tries but comes up short for most that are available. Why even bother if its not about them? I think KW has to realize right now is a very dangerous time.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 11:40 AM)
Angels OVERPAID.

Tigers OVERPAID.

No team went as high as the Angels for Hunter, obviously, it sounded like Hunter was surprised he was being offered that and took it.

The Tigers took Willis who, it seems, the Sox didn't want AND dealt away their replacement for a 42 year old LHP and their top position prospect.

Plus, the Sox didn't have the horses to get the Marlin deal done, which IS Kenny's fault.

But, people seem to forget, they fired the guy in charge of the minors...this new guy may be trying to start from scratch. Maybe he didn't like Carter as much as BA or anyone else did? Just like a new CEO or GM or anything, they want to make their mark and that mean cleaning out the old guys personnel. Give Wilder, Regier, Bell and Laumann do in the next draft.

That's what it takes these days to add stars. You must overpay. If you're not willing to overpay, you will not get them, so its a waste of time targeting them. You're right, they have got to improve the farm system, so they can get guys either other teams want or that they can plug in cheaply and perform so they have money to overpay for great players.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 12:47 PM)
That's what it takes these days to add stars. You must overpay. If you're not willing to overpay, you will not get them, so its a waste of time targeting them. You're right, they have got to improve the farm system, so they can get guys either other teams want or that they can plug in cheaply and perform so they have money to overpay for great players.

Very true. Kenny's out there with the garage sale mentality...trying to save a dollar or so. Doesn't work when you're going after a Miggy. As for the farm system...I was thinking things really wouldn't be that bad if just a couple of guys panned out better...namely Anderson and friggin Sweeney.

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 12:33 PM)
What is there to contribute to this discussion, KW is getting played like dog.

If he does a move that is decent, i will eat crow all offseason.

Best start eating then, he's already made at least one good one (Quentin), and some of us would say two (Linebrink).

QUOTE(Wanne @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 05:51 PM)
Very true. Kenny's out there with the garage sale mentality...trying to save a dollar or so. Doesn't work when you're going after a Miggy. As for the farm system...I was thinking things really wouldn't be that bad if just a couple of guys panned out better...namely Anderson and friggin Sweeney.

and valido.

12:58 p.m., from Amy Nelson

• Since news broke of the Marlins-Tigers blockbuster, Detroit left-hander Andrew Miller has not heard a word from anyone in the Tigers' organization. One of Miller's agents ran into Jim Leyland in the hotel lobby Tuesday night, and Leyland told him the deal wasn't anywhere close to getting done. What is unclear is whether any of the eight players involved have to physically be examined, which is why the trade could be held up. So far, Miller and his agents have not been told anything. Word is that the deal might not be completed until after the winter meetings -- unless there are other factors preventing it from getting done.

Miller, in fact, is working out at the Tigers' spring training complex in Lakeland, Fla. He met with the trainers this morning, had his sore left knee worked on, and is now out playing golf with some of his teammates. Late in the season, Miller had an MRI on his left knee, where it turned out there was some mild cartilage damage. He's been rehabbing it ever since. Since he's officially still a Tiger, he wasn't denied treatment.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 12:03 PM)
12:58 p.m., from Amy Nelson

• Since news broke of the Marlins-Tigers blockbuster, Detroit left-hander Andrew Miller has not heard a word from anyone in the Tigers' organization. One of Miller's agents ran into Jim Leyland in the hotel lobby Tuesday night, and Leyland told him the deal wasn't anywhere close to getting done. What is unclear is whether any of the eight players involved have to physically be examined, which is why the trade could be held up. So far, Miller and his agents have not been told anything. Word is that the deal might not be completed until after the winter meetings -- unless there are other factors preventing it from getting done.

Miller, in fact, is working out at the Tigers' spring training complex in Lakeland, Fla. He met with the trainers this morning, had his sore left knee worked on, and is now out playing golf with some of his teammates. Late in the season, Miller had an MRI on his left knee, where it turned out there was some mild cartilage damage. He's been rehabbing it ever since. Since he's officially still a Tiger, he wasn't denied treatment.

Ozzie's wife told Cabrera about it, after Ozzie called her and told her he was dealt. Everyone is saying what a pain in the ass the Marlins have been to deal with. This couldn't fall through, could it? Keep Cabrera out of the AL Central, unless he's with the White Sox.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 01:11 PM)
Ozzie's wife told Cabrera about it, after Ozzie called her and told her he was dealt. Everyone is saying what a pain in the ass the Marlins have been to deal with. This couldn't fall through, could it? Keep Cabrera out of the AL Central, unless he's with the White Sox.

Maybe the best philosophy this offseason is just to consider all players still available until they show up at a press conference wearing their new team's jersey.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 12:11 PM)

It would be nice, wouldn't it. For some reason, something just doesn't seem right about this deal...but who knows...