2008 MLB Catch-All Thread

knightni

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 12:35 AM)
K-Rod comes in with a 5-1 LAA lead in the 9th and gives up 4 runs. Angels still win 6-5, though.

good, let's hope he doesn't break Thiggy's record

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 02:47 AM)
Get used to seeing him. I have a very strong feeling Detwat is going to sign him long term.

dammit, LOL, you got to me too quick...to clarify, Scoscia really isn't using him as bad as I thought he was, but I still do want to see Thigpen's record hold up

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 02:57 AM)
No, I understand what you're saying, and I agree.

I just made my statement based on K-Rods name being brought up. Him going to Detroit just makes too much sense, and it's going to suck.

I've always hated his arm movement on that slider - that violent of a pitching motion just looks like it could end up badly someday - and I hate giving big contracts to closers as it is. If they want him for $13-15 mill a year, they can have him. Or if they want to have him for 5 years and $60+ mill (or whatever), they can have that too.

Should be noted both the Red Sox and Yankees also lost last night, which can be important when it comes to the wildcard. I really think losing Manny will hurt the Redsox and might allow for the AL Wildcard to come out of the Central assuming we right the ship and the Twins stay competitive.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 02:31 AM)
Should be noted both the Red Sox and Yankees also lost last night, which can be important when it comes to the wildcard. I really think losing Manny will hurt the Redsox and might allow for the AL Wildcard to come out of the Central assuming we right the ship and the Twins stay competitive.

The problem with that line of thinking is...when you consider their DL roster...they basically traded Manny for both Ortiz and Bay, because they just got Ortiz back after either having him in a terrible slump or injured for all but like 2 weeks of the season so far.

QUOTE (Gregory Pratt @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 04:10 PM)
The Rangers and the Yankees played a great game last night. Real fun to watch.

It's just too bad that the Rangers broadcast of the game wasn't on so I could hear Lewin going nuts. And also some possible good news, as Ortiz has wrist issues that possibly could make him miss this wknd's series.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 11:15 AM)
It's just too bad that the Rangers broadcast of the game wasn't on so I could hear Lewin going nuts. And also some possible good news, as Ortiz has wrist issues that possibly could make him miss this wknd's series.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3519949

Story on it. Nothing real clear on what it was, could be normal though. Tonight will tell.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 10:15 AM)

He's in the lineup tonight for the Sawks. If he had missed the Sox series, it would have been so weird, but very good, to play the Red Sox and them not have a 3-4 of Manny and Ortiz.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 04:34 PM)
D Backs to extend Haren.

good move, 15.5 mil is a lot to pay but that is also 3-4 years for now the market will be bigger and they will be happy with the deal.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 11:10 AM)
The problem with that line of thinking is...when you consider their DL roster...they basically traded Manny for both Ortiz and Bay, because they just got Ortiz back after either having him in a terrible slump or injured for all but like 2 weeks of the season so far.

Well who says Ortiz will get any better, because he was lousy before the injury. Not to mention he said he heard something pop or whatever his last at bat. And why Bay is a nice player and all he just doesnt bring the presence of a Manny. In my opinion that lineup just got a lot easier to go through.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 03:46 PM)
Well who says Ortiz will get any better, because he was lousy before the injury. Not to mention he said he heard something pop or whatever his last at bat. And why Bay is a nice player and all he just doesnt bring the presence of a Manny. In my opinion that lineup just got a lot easier to go through.

If Ortiz is out...yes. Manny is just ridiculous when he's healthy and we all know that.

But if Drew keeps hitting, and Ortiz comes back strong, and Bay keeps up what he was doing, that's a better lineup than what they had last year with Drew struggling and just Manny and Ortiz in the middle there.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 05:00 PM)
If Ortiz is out...yes. Manny is just ridiculous when he's healthy and we all know that.

But if Drew keeps hitting, and Ortiz comes back strong, and Bay keeps up what he was doing, that's a better lineup than what they had last year with Drew struggling and just Manny and Ortiz in the middle there.

Ok but Drew hasnt kept up his hitting, its dropped 20 points sine begining of last month. So far nothing to believe Ortiz will come back strong either, dont even think he is fully healthy. I mean we can agree to disagree, but to me that lineup looks very mediocre now.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 04:11 PM)
Ok but Drew hasnt kept up his hitting, its dropped 20 points sine begining of last month. So far nothing to believe Ortiz will come back strong either, dont even think he is fully healthy. I mean we can agree to disagree, but to me that lineup looks very mediocre now.

If Ortiz isn't healthy and Drew starts slumping, then they're in a heap of trouble.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 12:45 PM)
"Somebody bring me some Water(s)"

Some good old school Melissa Ehteridge right there.

Please hand in your man card on your way out the door.

HOLY s*** @ the Rays 9th inning. They hit two home runs (including one by Gabe Gross to tie it that probably went about 475 feet), score six runs, and win 10-7 on a walk off three run home run by Carlos Pena. Oh, and they didn't record a single out in the 9th inning. I'm not sure I've ever seen anything quite like that to erase a big 9th inning deficit when you consider they didn't make a single out.

Edited by whitesoxfan101