Official 2007-08 College Basketball Thread

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 13, 2007 -> 08:14 AM)
Watching Gordon a few times now between the exhibitions and tonight, he's a very unique player. I can't really think of anybody that he reminds me of actually, the closest thing I can come up with is he's kind of like a cross between Dwyane Wade and Mitch Richmond with his athletic ability (Wade), 3 point shooting (Richmond), and ability to slash to the basket despite being a bit undersized for a 2 guard (both).

On another note, when people look back at the 2007-2007 all NCAA freshman team, they'll just be amazed at the 1 and done talent this year:

G: Derrick Rose

G: Eric Gordon

G: O.J. Mayo

F: Michael Beasley

C: Kevin Love

And hell, that doesn't even include guys like Jonny Flynn, who broke Carmelo's record for points in a Syracuse debut tonight, and Kousta Koufos, and Jerryd Bayless, etc etc.

As for Ohio State, they seem to have a starting 5 that can really play, but they need to figure out who will make up/be good enough to be in the rotation and make up the bench. Jamar Butler losing weight and moving back to point is going to lead to a big year for him IMO, Lighty will get his chance to show why he was a 5 star recruit, and Koufos and Hunter inside is really solid, plus I like Diebler's ability to shoot (even though he was awful tonight). We will see beyond the starters, but I'm sure Thad will find a few guys that can contribute bench minutes with all the talent he has (Lauderdale, Terwillger, Turner, Hill).

Blake Griffin is the most underrated freshman in the country. He's just an amazing athlete...maybe the most impressive combination of strength/agility I've seen in the college game.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Nov 14, 2007 -> 03:38 AM)
Really weird looking SI cover for the Big Ten region this week...

sicover_111907_in_il.jpg

I don't know how they worked that out, but DJ's contorted hardcore.

bad photoshop.

As if I couldnt like Matta any more than I actually do, I love the way he handled last nights game. As much as he wanted to win, he was basically trying out combinations of players on the floor to help solidify his rotation for the regular and big ten season. I like that philosophy especially when most of your team is new to playing each other.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Nov 14, 2007 -> 10:22 AM)
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedi.../content.1.html

Good stuff, Georgetown-Syracuse cover in there, but nothing for UNC-Duke and the number 1 ranked team in the nation.

Explanation of no UNC-Duke

A clarification for all the comments-section folk complaining about the lack of Duke-UNC or Kentucky-Louisville covers ... the concept inside the magazine is NEW rivalries, not classic ones. So their omission was intentional. Georgetown-'Cuse, obviously, is not new, but was included as a "reheated" rivalry after going through a down period for much of the decade.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news?slug=co...n&type=lgns

3rd post-season college basketball tournament. Interesting. Those not familar with the Gazelle group(http://www.gazellegroup.com/cvcclassic/), those are the people who run the CvC and CBE along with a few other preseason tournies.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Nov 14, 2007 -> 09:32 PM)
Sam Houston State is a good team. Your home winning streak continues. Tech laid an egg on the FT line.

Yeah, we returned some solid players and our lone star (Bright) is a player of the year candidate.

Fresno State is coming here in 10 days, hope to keep our streak still going

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 14, 2007 -> 10:32 PM)
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news?slug=co...n&type=lgns

3rd post-season college basketball tournament. Interesting. Those not familar with the Gazelle group(http://www.gazellegroup.com/cvcclassic/), those are the people who run the CvC and CBE along with a few other preseason tournies.

I'm iffy on this, but I guess it's good for the game for more schools to have a place to play in March. Plus, I always wanted to know who the 98th best school was in the nation.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Nov 14, 2007 -> 09:45 PM)
I'm iffy on this, but I guess it's good for the game for more schools to have a place to play in March. Plus, I always wanted to know who the 98th best school was in the nation.

I don't know, I'm not really a fan of this, though I suppose it's not going to hurt anything. Just pointless.

Edited by Rowand44