Official 2007-08 College Basketball Thread

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 02:53 AM)
All joking aside, what happened to SIU?? I dont get it.

The way I look at it is this: Ever since the first SIU run to the sweet 16 with Bruce Weber, SIU has had excellent senior leadership passed from year to year. Kent Williams and Jermaine Dearman passed along to Brad Korn and Sylvester Willis passed along to Darren Brooks and Stetson Hairston passed along to Jamaal Tatum and Tony Young. Randal Falker and Matt Shaw have simply not shown up at all this year and it is painfully evident in every facet of the game. There is really no other explanation for me, the young guys on the team are going to make mistakes because that stuff happens. Shaw was on the bench last night with 3 minutes left in the first half with 3 fouls and no points, Falker was shortly behind him on the bench with fouls and ineffectiveness. That is just inexcuseable from either of them.

Its a really hard season to follow right now, just chaotic and unpredictable.

I'd be nice if Randal would stay out of foul trouble. Plain and simple, we lost Young and Tatum and nobody is replacing their scoring. Not only their scoring, but we can't close out games. See SLU and Butler game.

We may just have to take our lumps this year, and that sucks because Falker maybe my favorite Saluki ever and to waste his senior year kills me.

Last night's random thoughts:

Drake is awfully good. SIU is playing a lot better right now despite this loss and the Butler ending, but Drake is awfully good.

Justin Johnson is a madman, but IU should still be happy. Big 10 road wins are more valuable than free gasoline.

Michael Thompson on Northwestern is a hell of a player. With the way NU continues to improve recruiting, they could be respectable by the time "Juice" is an upperclassmen.

This may sound blasphemous, but as a college team, I think this UNC team might be better than the one who beat Illinois in the title game.

Oh, and Jimbo: Illinois State is THE best team in Illinois right now. Jank is doing a hell of a job there, and although he's a terrible head coach, Judson is a nice guy and I'm glad to see him doing well as an assistant down there.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 10:57 AM)
Michael Thompson on Northwestern is a hell of a player. With the way NU continues to improve recruiting, they could be respectable by the time "Juice" is an upperclassmen.

Thompson is a definite player and it's scary that he's only a freshmen, but they just don't have a single Big Ten caliber big man, which makes things exceedingly difficult against better competition. Just look at last night as an example, Claxton and Cornley combined for 40 points and 22 boards, and neither is exactly huge.

This is actually probably the best backcourt they've had since I started following them with Thompson just being an all-around stud and Moore and Okrzesik shooting well and handling the ball pretty well too, but between Baran and Ryan inside they just get man-handled. Combine that with the massive gaps for 3's that they allow and they have trouble stopping real teams. Coble getting back on track will help a bit, but he's still more of a SF. Unless Baran takes a major step forward one of these years or Shurna can contribute early that's still going to hold them back against better teams, though a trio of Thompson/Coble/Fruendt for 2 years will probably beat some people.

QUOTE(Brian @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 10:50 AM)
I'd be nice if Randal would stay out of foul trouble. Plain and simple, we lost Young and Tatum and nobody is replacing their scoring. Not only their scoring, but we can't close out games. See SLU and Butler game.

We may just have to take our lumps this year, and that sucks because Falker maybe my favorite Saluki ever and to waste his senior year kills me.

You spelled Randle incorrectly

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 02:51 PM)
Iowa is horrid. I wouldn't be stunned if they were dead last.

They played Indiana tough yesterday, but I guess if you give Iowa a few weeks, they'll become...well...Iowa again. It is so depressing how bad Michigan's program is come. Curse of Steve Fisher.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 08:18 PM)
I was thinking the same. Case in point, that last play. Or like every possession.

They are clueless, for both teams, some of the weirdest calls ive seen.

I guess I didnt realize how bad of a free throw team ILL is, are they just lacking shooters? Its seems weird that the go to 3 point shooter shoots almost a two handed jumper.

I'm still trying to figure out how we were a favorite in Vegas going into this game.

Rock, we're putrid at free throws, and it's actually ouright cost us games the past few years. It's horrific to watch. And yes, we are sorely lacking, oh, a shooting guard that can make some shots and 3s...I don't know who that could have been this year...

Tisdale is a bit awkward but he's supposed to have some decent talent so we'll see what happens with him. He's supposed to be an ok player away from the paint, as well.

Also, Butler just hit another shot.

Marquette... Marquette... I hate to be a fanboy, but damn we're tough to beat right now. Deep squad (even without Mbakwe) with a solid front-line. I don't know if I have it in this thread, but I was quietly had high hopes for Lazar Hayward heading into the year -- and damn has he become a weapon. I also hope some certain 'bashers' of a certain MU basketball player have been watching the this season...

QUOTE(Brian @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 01:13 PM)
They played Indiana tough yesterday, but I guess if you give Iowa a few weeks, they'll become...well...Iowa again. It is so depressing how bad Michigan's program is come. Curse of Steve Fisher.

That was because Justin Johnson went Reggie Miller on them. Iowa battles, but they flat out don't have the scoring to do s***. They wouldn't even win the WAC or some other lame ass conference.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jan 4, 2008 -> 07:45 AM)
Marquette... Marquette... I hate to be a fanboy, but damn we're tough to beat right now. Deep squad (even without Mbakwe) with a solid front-line. I don't know if I have it in this thread, but I was quietly had high hopes for Lazar Hayward heading into the year -- and damn has he become a weapon. I also hope some certain 'bashers' of a certain MU basketball player have been watching the this season...

James is playing great ball right now.

Assembly hall is a brutal place to play when the team blows. I was at the game last night and you could hear a pin drop. There were maybe 2-3 opportunites where the crowd tried to get into it, only to have OSU come back and make a big shot.

It's bad.

QUOTE(SnB @ Jan 4, 2008 -> 12:13 PM)
Assembly hall is a brutal place to play when the team blows. I was at the game last night and you could hear a pin drop. There were maybe 2-3 opportunites where the crowd tried to get into it, only to have OSU come back and make a big shot.

It's bad.

Exact same as last year's OSU game

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Jan 4, 2008 -> 12:26 PM)
Exact same as last year's OSU game

or the last 4.....

JK. I actually was surprised that Thad had taken 4 in a row from Bruce, as I remember the first one where Syl hit that game winning shot.