Official 2008-2009 NFL Thread

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How can you say anyone with any semblance of a brain would not have picked Tim Couch #1?

How can you even compare Alex Smith (who most people considered a very questionable #1 selection) to Couch (who most considered hands down one of the best QB prospects ever in the game of football.)?

Sure he busted but lets look at the facts:

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/list/highschool.html

6. Tim Couch (Leslie County High, Hyden, Ky.)

As a prep QB, Couch set all kinds of national high school records -- most pass completions (872), passing yardage (12,104), TD passes (133), and passing percentage for a season (75.1). Some of those have been broken in the pass-happy years since, but Couch was selected as the best high school QB of the last 20 years, and we agree.

So do others. "Couch is the best quarterback prospect I've seen in 17 years," Tom Lemming, a high school football guru, told SI in 1995. "Better than Jeff George, Ron Powlus and Peyton Manning. He reminds recruiters of John Elway."

Couch's career totals at Kentucky included completing 795 of 1,184 passes (.671 completion rate) for 8,435 yards (including 4,275 passing yards during the 1998 season alone) and 74 touchdowns (including a 97-yard touchdown pass to Craig Yeast against Florida on September 26, 1998). Couch still holds the NCAA record for completion percentage in one game (minimum of 40 completions) at 83.0% vs. Vanderbilt (44 of 53) in 1998 and for completions per game (36.4, 400 in 11 games) that same season. He also left Kentucky holding NCAA records for most completions in a season (400 in 1998), most completions in a two-year period (763 in 1997-1998), most completions per game in a two-year period (34.7, 1997-1998) and career completion percentage (67.1%). His 1998 records of 4,151 offensive yards in a season, 377.4 offensive yards per game and 4,275 passing yards, stood as Southeastern Conference records for years after his departure.

The guy basically wrote record books and you would have some how had the foresight to pass on him?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/sto...&id=3363836

That article quotes people from the year Couch was drafted.

Sure he busted in the Pros, but there was just nothing prior to the draft that would have given the Browns any indication that would happen.

Edited by Soxbadger

Shawn Merriman is going against 4 doctors who said he should have surgery on his knee ASAP, and will play with a torn PCL and MCL.

If he had surgery, he would miss the year. But if he doesn't and plays and does worse damage his career could be over.

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 12:27 PM)
Shawn Merriman is going against 4 doctors who said he should have surgery on his knee ASAP, and will play with a torn PCL and MCL.

If he had surgery, he would miss the year. But if he doesn't and plays and does worse damage his career could be over.

A very ballsy, yet stupid move.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 11:41 AM)
A very ballsy, yet stupid move.

The logic IMO is pretty simple. The Chargers really have a 1-2 year window to try to win a super bowl before guys like Merriman and Rivers and LT either hit free agency or have some major contract demands after those big drafts they had. After that, their window is probably going to shut because of salary issues.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 01:49 PM)
The logic IMO is pretty simple. The Chargers really have a 1-2 year window to try to win a super bowl before guys like Merriman and Rivers and LT either hit free agency or have some major contract demands after those big drafts they had. After that, their window is probably going to shut because of salary issues.

If you are close to getting a fat payraise why would you ever risk your entire career. I could see the logic for the Chargers letting him play, but no the logic for Merriman doing this.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 28, 2008 -> 07:50 PM)
I'm really beginning to wonder if Caleb Hanie is the best QB on the Bears roster. His ability to allude the rush is impressive.

I agree. He has to do it against 1st string defenses for me to really be a believer, but deserves a spot. Possibly even over Rex.

Edited by Brian

I do think Anthony Adams should be the 5th DT on the depth chart, so if he is starting Id definitely be pissed. Kevin Payne also was really bad in todays game and I'd rather have McGowan and even Manning before him. I also really hope that we have been running a vanilla defense this pre-season because if not Lovie will be fired at end of season.

Offensively while I do love what I've seen from Hanie he has to be 3rd on the depth chart as long as we are still playing for the playoffs, if the season becomes a lost cause than Id love to see Hanie because longterm Orton/Grossman dont seem starting material. Was nice to see some life from Bennet today finally too and Im glad it looks like Booker wont be a starting WR.

Adrian Peterson will rush over 450 yards on the Bears alone this season.Iam not looking forward to watching that pounding,Iam so bummed about the Bears this year and the season hasnt even started.The fact that Babich was on the field yesterday and not in the booth has shown he is already in panic mode.

Well all the defensive players didnt seem too worried about it and I think Tillman was the one who said they were running just a very bland defense. So. assuming thats the truth we will be fully tested in week 1. I do think if we have Dusty out there with Harris that the run defense will improve greatly, anyone but Adams. Also there were a number of plays Payne got horribly beat on that wouldnt happen with Brown.

The one good thing is the offense has actually looked a little more solid overall this pre-season. Lloyd and Orton look like they have a solid connection and Bradley has gotten himself open plenty of times. Forte also looks like a solid option in the passing game, I think we have plenty of weapons just need the O-Line to hold up. It does seem neither of our QB's really point out the blitzes which would probably help in that regard.

QUOTE (shipps @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 08:06 AM)
Adrian Peterson will rush over 450 yards on the Bears alone this season.Iam not looking forward to watching that pounding,Iam so bummed about the Bears this year and the season hasnt even started.The fact that Babich was on the field yesterday and not in the booth has shown he is already in panic mode.

This is pretty much how I feel. I will watch every game, pull for them, and swear at them plenty of times.