swisher to lead off to start the season and play center

chisox2334

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 26, 2008 -> 07:50 PM)
Quentin is the better offensive option out of the 2, and he's pretty good in a corner spot defensively (so long as his shoulder is ok).

Agreed. I don't think his shoulder is 100% though. Hopefully I'm wrong, because Quentin has the potential to be a perennial all-star.

I'd still like to see Anderson starting in CF, but I understand the White Sox making sure he has to earn everything. It seems to have worked so far for him.

I'm looking forward to an '09 outfield of Swisher - Anderson - Quentin. Oh, the offensive and defensive potential there... :drool:

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 26, 2008 -> 08:12 PM)
Opening Day:

Ozuna - LF

Cabrera - SS

Swisher - CF

Konerko - 1B

Thome - DH

Dye - RF

Pierzynski - C

Crede - 3B

Uribe - 2B

I'd imagine that's what we'll see.

Mmmmm...grinder.

I don't get this. I guess I can live with the notion of Swisher batting leadoff, but how does he start in CF, vs. LF, with BA and Ramirez, who both would play the position better. Why not get Ramirez in this lineup and bat Swisher in an RBI producing position?

BTW - Gavin Floyd sucks and KW is insane to hold to the notion that he will somehow be good.

QUOTE(Want2Repeat @ Mar 26, 2008 -> 08:26 PM)
I don't get this. I guess I can live with the notion of Swisher batting leadoff, but how does he start in CF, vs. LF, with BA and Ramirez, who both would play the position better. Why not get Ramirez in this lineup and bat Swisher in an RBI producing position?

BTW - Gavin Floyd sucks and KW is insane to hold to the notion that he will somehow be good.

I think it means Quentin will start in LF as some have suggested. If BA is starting in LF anyday, Ozzie is an idiot.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Mar 26, 2008 -> 08:25 PM)
I don't see Swisher batting 3rd. I think he'll bat behind Thome, Konerko, and Dye on OD. I'm pretty sure Ozzie already said somewhere that he'll be hitting Thome 3rd.

Ozzie already said Swisher will hit 3rd and Thome 5th vs. lefties... So, I'd assume the lineups would be something like:

vs. lefties/opening day:

1. Ozuna, 2B/LF

2. Cabrera, SS

3. Swisher, CF/LF

4. Konerko, 1B

5. Thome, DH

6. Dye, RF

7. Pierzynski/Hall, C

8. Crede, 3B

9. Quentin/Anderson/Ramirez/Uribe, LF/CF/2B

vs. righties:

1. Swisher, CF/LF

2. Cabrera, SS

3. Thome, DH

4. Konerko, 1B

5. Dye, RF

6. Pierzynski, C

7. Crede, 3B

8. Quentin/Anderson/Ramirez, LF/CF

9. Uribe/Ramirez, 2B

That's pretty much how I'd have it, except Crede would be replace by Fields, and Uribe would be off the team with Ramirez and Ozuna handling 2B until Richar returns. Oh yeah, Owens would be off the team as well.

I'm hoping Ramirez will get around 300-350 at bats this year, getting playing time at 2B, SS, and the OF. Hopefully he can work on his D at SS so he can take over there full time next year.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 12:38 PM)
Right now it is hard to like anything about this team except some of the young talent ... which is not even going to play everyday.

Compare it to this time last season.

Cabrera >>> Uribe at SS.

Quentin >>> Pods.

Anderson has improved (better than Erstad / Pods hopefully).

Bullpen is better.

Vaz and Buehrle has re-estbalished themselves as a good 1-2 punch.

But unfortunately there are still guys such as Uribe etc. who still have a starting job which they really shouldn't IMHO.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 26, 2008 -> 08:13 PM)

Cabrera >>> Uribe at SS.

Quentin >>> Pods.

Bullpen is better.

But unfortunately there are still guys such as Uribe etc. who still have a starting job which they really shouldn't IMHO.

I feel we are better than 07 of course. But how much better? I think we will have a similar season to 2004. Which is not a good thing when your GM is in 'Win Now' mode.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 26, 2008 -> 07:25 PM)
How hard is it to go with an outfield of Swisher in LF, Anderson in CF, and Dye in RF (with Quentin getting some starts in LF/RF/DH)? Swisher is TERRIBLE in CF. He's no different than Mackowiak was out there.

I don't know that I'd go that far, but I basically agree with your post. I've been posting here for 3 1/2 years and never really bashed Ozzie before. Until now. This is an absolute mind-boggling decision.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 26, 2008 -> 07:12 PM)
Opening Day:

Ozuna - LF

Cabrera - SS

Swisher - CF

Konerko - 1B

Thome - DH

Dye - RF

Pierzynski - C

Crede - 3B

Uribe - 2B

I'd imagine that's what we'll see.

Has Ozuna played LF much if at all this spring? I'd bet Ozuna starts at 2B and Quentin in LF on opening day.

The Sox regular outfield (at least to start out) should be Quentin LF, Swisher CF, and Dye RF with Anderson routinely coming in to play CF in the seventh inning with either Quentin or Swisher moving over to RF. Against most lefties, Anderson should start in CF with Dye moving over to DH and Thome resting.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 26, 2008 -> 08:13 PM)

Cabrera >>> Uribe at SS.

Quentin >>> Pods.

Bullpen is better.

Being the negative S.O.B. that I am, I will counter your cited upgrades:

1. Really we are switching Cabrera for Richar/Iguchi since Uribe will probably getting most of the playing time ... but at another position.

2. I suspect healthy Jerry Owens will move Quetin to the bench a lot when he is healthy. Pods is approximately equal to Owens.

3. Anderson has improved but will probably rarely play.

4. I will say the bullpen IS better.

5. Good 1-2 punch in the rotation. But after that, I only have expectations for Danks. We exchanged Garland for Floyd in the rotation which is a downgrade.

QUOTE(Want2Repeat @ Mar 26, 2008 -> 07:26 PM)

Who says Ramirez would play CF better than Swisher? From what I've heard this spring, he hasn't looked too good out there defensively.

Edited by South Side Fireworks Man

Do you know what strikes me as funny?

A month ago nobody would have been surprised if Ozzie chose Swisher to play CF. In fact, it was pretty much a foregone conclusion. KW and Ozzie have been saying it since they acquired him.

And a month ago, 99% of posters would have volunteered to drive Brian to the airport to ship his *** out of town.

But Brian had a good month in spring training and all of a sudden, Swisher in CF is a horrible idea; and Brian not being handed CF is a travesty.

Interesting.

QUOTE(Want2Repeat @ Mar 26, 2008 -> 08:26 PM)
I don't get this. I guess I can live with the notion of Swisher batting leadoff, but how does he start in CF, vs. LF, with BA and Ramirez, who both would play the position better.

I'm not sure that Ramirez would. I think he has the arm, but doesn't make great reads. Admittedly, I've seen very little.

QUOTE(scenario @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 02:47 AM)

A month ago nobody would have been surprised if Ozzie chose Swisher to play CF. In fact, it was pretty much a foregone conclusion. KW and Ozzie have been saying it since they acquired him.

And a month ago, 99% of posters would have volunteered to drive Brian to the airport to ship his *** out of town.

But Brian had a good month in spring training and all of a sudden, Swisher in CF is a horrible idea; and Brian not being handed CF is a travesty.

Interesting.

or maybe I saw Swisher play CF with my own eyes during spring training?

If Ozuna starts at 2b on opening day and Quentin plays LF, the 3 hottest hitters in spring training, Uribe, Anderson and Ramirez all will be riding pine. That's pretty strange, but not as strange as seeing Nick Swisher in CF and BA in LF on occassion. That's just ridiculous. I am glad Swisher is leading off though. The more guys on base for Thome and Konerko and Dye, the better.

QUOTE(scenario @ Mar 26, 2008 -> 09:47 PM)

Interesting.

I understand Anderson not being handed a regular job even though they handed him one in 2006 under tougher circumstances when he showed less than he has this spring. I just don't understand when he's in the game why he would be in LF and Swisher in CF. That makes zero sense.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 01:49 PM)
or maybe I saw Swisher play CF with my own eyes during spring training?

And Swisher has played how many games in CF?

The stats show last season that he was above league average argubly there last season for Oakland defensively. He is still basically learning the position, and should be getting better with each game. Aaron Rowand wasn't a stud defensive CF on his 1st season up with us I would argue.

He deserves an opportunity to start there. Doesn't our team look a lot better offensively if we could play Quentin in LF?

Scenario hit the nail on the head r.e Swisher / Anderson for CF.

BA should be the 4th OF, no matter who the other OF's are. If he impresses in bench duty, then let him win the starting job from there, don't just hand things to him.

EDIT: And I only argue about this with BA because of Quentin / Swisher. If either 1 of those guy weren't on our team, I'd be saying start BA at CF over Owens, because I've been a backer of him for a long time with his plus defense, and the fact that young hitters take time to adjust at the major league level.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 01:51 PM)
I understand Anderson not being handed a regular job even though they handed him one in 2006 under tougher circumstances when he showed less than he has this spring. I just don't understand when he's in the game why he would be in LF and Swisher in CF. That makes zero sense.

Well I don't think he would in that scenario (it's only when Ozuna / Quentin are starting instead).

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 26, 2008 -> 10:19 PM)
And Swisher has played how many games in CF?

The stats show last season that he was above league average argubly there last season for Oakland defensively. He is still basically learning the position, and should be getting better with each game. Aaron Rowand wasn't a stud defensive CF on his 1st season up with us I would argue.

He deserves an opportunity to start there. Doesn't our team look a lot better offensively if we could play Quentin in LF?

Scenario hit the nail on the head r.e Swisher / Anderson for CF.

BA should be the 4th OF, no matter who the other OF's are. If he impresses in bench duty, then let him win the starting job from there, don't just hand things to him.

EDIT: And I only argue about this with BA because of Quentin / Swisher. If either 1 of those guy weren't on our team, I'd be saying start BA at CF over Owens, because I've been a backer of him for a long time with his plus defense, and the fact that young hitters take time to adjust at the major league level.

I only wonder what Quentin has done to be handed the job?