Negative Catch All ~ House of Blues

Texsox

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(daa84 @ Apr 7, 2008 -> 01:03 PM)
edg01a1f4w500.jpg

Hahahahaha. I think I first saw this picture in the Guiness Book in 1982. I was around 7 or 8 years old and just getting into little league baseball. "Why is little Eddy so intently looking at the pitcher when the ball has already hit the catcher's mitt?" I thought to myself. "Did he not see the ball coming since it appears it was a foot over his head."

Then, in later years, I got smart and realized this was actually a set up photo by Xavier Roberts. He had taken one of his Cabbage Patch Kids and doctored this photo to show that Cabbage Patch Kids have been around since the early 1900s.

I'm sorry, but I am so freakin sick of those Black Alternate jersey's. They've really worn them out these last 3-4 years. It was way better when they were only wore once or twice a week.

The Sox regular Home and Road jersey's are some of the best in the bigs and they NEVER wear them. It bugs me.

(Yes that's the most negative thing I have to say about the team at this time haha)

Edited by Cali

QUOTE (Cali @ Apr 7, 2008 -> 08:40 PM)
I'm sorry, but I am so freakin sick of those Black Alternate jersey's. They've really worn them out these last 3-4 years. It was way better when they were only wore once or twice a week.

The Sox regular Home and Road jersey's are some of the best in the bigs and they NEVER wear them. It bugs me.

They'll keep wearing them until they lose.

:headbang

I'm not worried about hexing them cause of the jersey's. In 05 they wore them a lot when they were heading into the playoffs and I'm pretty sure they didn't wear them ONCE in the playoffs.

I don't know if that's some sort of MLB rule or something. I don't remember if the Rockies wore their blacks in the playoffs last season, but I do remember them talking about wearing the blacks when they rattled off that amazing streak to end the season.

Don't get me wrong I USED to love the black ones back in the early 90's when they only busted them out on occasion and were the only team in the MLB that had black alternates, but now it seems like everyone has a black jersey even if the team doesnt have any black in their team colors...

It's ironic that Sisco had surgery today, as it ties into how much someone like Gload would help this roster right now. We're going to need a lefty bat off the bench to help us against tough righties. And when I say bat, I don't mean someone like Owens.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 9, 2008 -> 09:43 PM)
It's ironic that Sisco had surgery today, as it ties into how much someone like Gload would help this roster right now. We're going to need a lefty bat off the bench to help us against tough righties. And when I say bat, I don't mean someone like Owens.

You'll struggle to find a bigger Ross Gload fan than I. But, honestly, I don't see him having much of a role on this team. First, Ross' splits are almost identical between LHP and RHP. Also, the lineup is indeed a bit righty heavy, but, look at the positions that Ross could reasonably play - 1B, DH, LF. Plus PH/PR. Maybe RF in a real pinch, but in that scenario you put Quentin in RF and Gload in LF. So, he'd be replacing Konerko, Thome or Quentin. Thome kills righties. Paulie's numbers dip only slightly against RHP. And Quentin hasn't even been in the majors enough to know how he will handle different sides. And finally, remember this team carries only 4 bench guys, 1 being a catcher. That gives you 3 slots to cover the field, and Gload is not exactly a guy who can play a ton of positions.

So really, I don't see much benefit to having him on this club this year. Now, in 2007, I agree, he could have come in handy starting in LF and relieving Thome/Konerko on occasion.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Apr 10, 2008 -> 08:08 AM)
If they wanted a versatile lefty hitter off the bench, they could have just gone after Mackowiak again.

He's similar to Gload in some ways, but indeed he'd actually be more useful. His corner OF defense would be a little better, plus he can play 3B and even CF or middle infield in a dire pinch.

One of my worst memories of the Sox from last year was Ozzie leaving Contreras in about 50 pitches too long at Boston last year, a game he ended up allowing 10 runs. Who knows what would have happened, but that couldn't have helped his trade value. Now, we're stuck with our version of Barry Zito.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 11, 2008 -> 08:32 PM)
One of my worst memories of the Sox from last year was Ozzie leaving Contreras in about 50 pitches too long at Boston last year, a game he ended up allowing 10 runs. Who knows what would have happened, but that couldn't have helped his trade value. Now, we're stuck with our version of Barry Zito.

Only differece is Count is cheaper and has about 4 years less. Otherwise, the comparison is apt.

QUOTE (Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Apr 12, 2008 -> 02:46 AM)
Only differece is Count is cheaper and has about 4 years less. Otherwise, the comparison is apt.

That's why I said our version. He's got that contract that will keep him in the rotation no matter how bad he does, as we always have to showcase him.