Guillen fined for umpire 'vendetta' quote

knightni

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-w...p&type=lgns

White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen fined by Major League Baseball for remarks about umpire Cuzzi

45 minutes ago

NEW YORK (AP)—White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen was fined by Major League Baseball on Friday for accusing umpire Phil Cuzzi of having a vendetta against him.

Cuzzi ejected Guillen in the third inning of Chicago’s home opener against Minnesota on Monday after he popped out of the dugout following a strike call against Paul Konerko. It was his 13th ejection since the White Sox hired him as their manager in 2004.

“I don’t like that guy behind the plate,” Guillen said before Wednesday’s game against the Twins. “Every time he’s behind the plate, we might have a problem.”

Guillen also was ejected by Cuzzi on July 31, 2007, in New York.

“As soon as I know that he’s going to be behind the plate, I know I’m going to be ejected,” Guillen said. “You can have my bench coach handle this game because I know I’m going to be ejected.”

How much? Good for Ozzie. It's one thing to fine people like Oz for sticking up for his team and all and having the umps backs to a degree...but where's the accountability when it comes to the job some of these boneheads are doing behind the plate. The umps think they're bigger than the game sometimes...and it's ridiculous.

QUOTE (CryptviLL @ Apr 11, 2008 -> 04:00 PM)
he got fined for that? Thats ridiculous.. he has an opinion.. pft

That was going to be automatic. If players and managers were allowed to say whatever they feel about umpires without penalty, umpires safety would be in danger. There are a lot of sickos out there. Ozzie knew he would be fined. I think he said it so the league would put Cuzzi's crew on White Sox games as little as possible.

That was going to be automatic. If players and managers were allowed to say whatever they feel about umpires without penalty, umpires safety would be in danger. There are a lot of sickos out there. Ozzie knew he would be fined. I think he said it so the league would put Cuzzi's crew on White Sox games as little as possible.

Yeah.. After rethinking it, I suppose its the right thing to do. Just thought there would be more freedom of opinion, but within an organization like baseball, I could see how it can hurt it...

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 11, 2008 -> 04:06 PM)

Kinda on that topic, does anyone know exactly how Ump crews are assigned to games? Is there a set rotation or are they assigned as the season goes on? I've always been kinda curious about that and never asked anyone.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 11, 2008 -> 04:06 PM)

don't the umpires have a schedule that they go by, which is probably already pretty much set?

QUOTE (The Beast @ Apr 12, 2008 -> 01:14 AM)
I'm glad they fined him---he was being a whine-y b****.

No, he's stepping in for the players who were upset, taking the pressure off of them. If you don't argue when you're getting screwed by the umps, you'll just continue to get screwed. At least he brought some attention to it. This guy knows he's going to be under the microscope, and better be even with his calls.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Apr 11, 2008 -> 08:15 PM)
Yes, because umpires are GOD like in your eyes. rolly.gif

To say that someone has a personal vendetta against you is absoluely ridiculous. Oh man, you said that they are like god in my eyes with big capital letters, what ever should I do?

Edited by The Beast

QUOTE (The Beast @ Apr 12, 2008 -> 02:08 AM)
To say that someone has a personal vendetta against you is absoluely ridiculous. Oh man, you said that they are like god in my eyes with big capital letters, what ever should I do?

Ridiculous? Do you know their history between each other? Is it so hard to contemplate umps being human and being capable of being wrong and stubborn? **** these guys have bigger egos than players at times.

QUOTE (SEALgep @ Apr 12, 2008 -> 02:15 AM)
Ridiculous? Do you know their history between each other? Is it so hard to contemplate umps being human and being capable of being wrong and stubborn? **** these guys have bigger egos than players at times.

Yes, and the umpires stick together. If you diss one of them, it's not likely they're going to take kindly to you.

What purpose did Ozzie's comments have, outside of some self involved tough guy routine. Act like you are in management. You get your say, get thrown out of the game your purpose is served. You stood up for your guys. There is no reason to get into constant pissing matches in the paper with umps. Eventually you will see the sox having to beat the other team, and the team in blue night in and night out.

I remember the Yankee game he got ejected in last season. It was like right off the bat, first or second inning. Ozzie didn't even come on the field. All of a sudden Cuzzi just points towards our bench and throws Ozzie out. I'm pretty sure Kong got ejected later that game too; and he was the one at bat in this incident as well.

Edited by ROC Sox Fan

QUOTE (The Beast @ Apr 11, 2008 -> 11:12 PM)
I really wonder why this whole situation is becoming a dramatic one, it's absolutely ridiculous.

QUOTE (The Beast @ Apr 11, 2008 -> 07:14 PM)
I'm glad they fined him---he was being a whine-y b****.

Because of attitudes like this... He stood up for what he thinks is right and for his players instead of takin' it up the pooper like a cell house conformist.

Didnt see this incident as it happened, but have seen Cuzzi in similar situations where Ozzie wasnt anywhere near the premises, go after a manager who's already said his piece and was walking away- Cuzzi takes off his mask, says something, and fires up the argument again - then tosses the manager. I only hope that behind the scenes Cuzzi's getting a negative evaluation out of this. He's one of the umps who thinks fans are there to see him - Cowboy Joe West Jr. They need someone to ride herd on the umpires closer, because of idiots like him.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 11, 2008 -> 08:18 PM)
Yes, and the umpires stick together. If you diss one of them, it's not likely they're going to take kindly to you.

Exactly, thats why Oz should have been a little more discreet in his dislike for Cuzzi.If you want to argue for your team during the game thats great but to take it to the media was stupid,and it didnt do Ozzie or the team any good.Everytime Ozzie says or does something stupid, we need to stop saying that he is just taking the pressure of the team.That is an overused bulls*** excuse.

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 12, 2008 -> 01:38 PM)
Exactly, thats why Oz should have been a little more discreet in his dislike for Cuzzi.If you want to argue for your team during the game thats great but to take it to the media was stupid,and it didnt do Ozzie or the team any good.Everytime Ozzie says or does something stupid, we need to stop saying that he is just taking the pressure of the team.That is an overused bulls*** excuse.

You say overused, I say unappreciated. The point of Ozzie making his comments was to protect his team against future match ups, and to make it public, in order for MLB to not easily be able to turn their heads on the matter. Sure, he got kicked out, and he did what he did for the incident at the time, but he's just as concerned for the next time as well, as a pattern has already developed.

And as far as umps sticking together, doesn't anyone work with someone you feel is a complete **** head? I don't see how it is inconceivable for fellow umps to see one of there own as having stepped over the line. Keep in mind, Ozzie said he had no problem with umpires, only with this one in particular. He was clear about that...

Edited by SEALgep