Frank Thomas Released By The Blue Jays/signed by the A's

BlizzardOfOzzie

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 11:04 AM)
If the Jays would have come out and admitted they didn't want the option to vest, so they were going to bench him, fine.

But don't make a bs excuse and say they are benching him because they feel they have a better lineup without him.

Stairs, at this time, appears to be the better option, at least temporarily, which, if Frank kept his mouth shut and acted like a member of a team, probably would have eventually realized. Frankly, no pun intended, I wouldn't want to be on the hook for $10 million next year, especially if he has nothing left, which is always a possibility at this stage. At the very least, he's probably not a $10 million player performance-wise in 2009, but now he can make his own deal.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 11:02 AM)
Well, it's still basically 2 seasons. If he plays this year, he won't get any more than $18.2 mil, just a small part of that will be paid by another team, if I understand it correctly. If he could get the Blue Jay money and sign a completely new deal, then I'd agree, but it doesn't work that way.

I understand that, but he also could spend the rest of the summer at the beach.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 11:03 AM)
I respect your opinions in this forum. You are well informed and always make sense. I don't think Blue Jay mgmt. would want to see an $8 million dollar investment leave after 3 weeks of a season. You make it seem as though they huddled up and said let's piss off Frank by telling him he's benched "indefinitely", which could be anywhere from a day to the whole year , and then release him and blow $8 mill. this year but save $10 mill. on next year. I don't buy into any conspiracy theory. How could they even give an $8 mill. contract to someone and just expect 304 plate appearances ? That's a lot to pay for a base clogging part time DH.

I absolutely believe they decided to take the hit this year to avoid taking the hit next year. They have a lot of salaries rising next year, AJ Burnett can opt out of his deal after this season, they just signed Alexis Rios to an extension, and they have some young players in Lind and Snider they think they can use next season.

Whether they actually "huddled" up and decided to intentionally try and piss off Frank so they would have an excuse to release him, I'm not sure. But Frank's temper is well documented throughout baseball, he is a first-ballot Hall of Fame player, and he has produced the last two years when no one thought he would. I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to foresee that Frank would react this way at the news of being benched indefinitely, especially given the vesting option he has for next year.

Again, this is an organization that has had trouble with 4 players now in the last 2 years. It's not surprising at all that this move comes from them.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 11:09 AM)
Stairs, at this time, appears to be the better option, at least temporarily, which, if Frank kept his mouth shut and acted like a member of a team, probably would have eventually realized. Frankly, no pun intended, I wouldn't want to be on the hook for $10 million next year, especially if he has nothing left, which is always a possibility at this stage. At the very least, he's probably not a $10 million player performance-wise in 2009, but now he can make his own deal.

That all makes perfect sense from the blue jays prospective. What I don't understand is why you fault frank so much for being pissed off about it and doing something about it-forcing the blue jays to make a move.

QUOTE (max power @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 11:13 AM)
That all makes perfect sense from the blue jays prospective. What I don't understand is why you fault frank so much for being pissed off about it and doing something about it-forcing the blue jays to make a move.

Because he signed the contract. The Blue Jays paid him $9 million before he ever played 1 game for them. If you're strickly a DH, pushing 40, have a $10 million option that kicks in with plate appearances, you should probably be aware that if you aren't hitting for s***, the leash is probably going to be a little shorter than normal. Of course, this is Frank Thomas we are talking about. He didn't even realize Jim Thome coming to Chicago was the end for him, and then he doesn't answer his phone and b****es that KW left the news on a voice mail.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 01:11 PM)
I understand that, but he also could spend the rest of the summer at the beach.

I know, I'm just saying it's a little misleading to say they're paying him X for one season of work if he can't receive more than X for 2 seasons of work. Just an issue with the phrasing.

QUOTE (Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 09:47 AM)
I think Frank is done. I have trouble seeing another team picking him up, especially with all the homeless DH's already out there (Piazza, Bonds). Frank was just padding his numbers at this point. If that is his priority, platooning was probably his best option.

You might be right. At this point in his career how can he reasonably expect to be a full time DH knowing guys like Bonds and Piazza are unemployed ? You can't rock the boat without expecting a plunge into the water. As much as I loved Frank's career with the Sox his mouth has always been his worst enemy.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 05:23 PM)
You might be right. At this point in his career how can he reasonably expect to be a full time DH knowing guys like Bonds and Piazza are unemployed ? You can't rock the boat without expecting a plunge into the water. As much as I loved Frank's career with the Sox his mouth has always been his worst enemy.

Bonds being unemployed has nothing to do with his talent.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 11:24 AM)
Bonds being unemployed has nothing to do with his talent.

Exactly, and Piazza wasn't exactly stellar during his DH stint. The other thing is teams that sign him will only be on the hook for the pro-rated minimum, which the other two would never play for. If Frank still wants to play, I'm sure he'll have an opportunity.

damn.

f*** the blue jays. sons of b****es. how can you do that to a legend? this has all been handled just terribly.

Can't Frank Thomas ever be happy? He's been living in $7 million mansions for decades. Can't he ever just STFU for once and do what's best for the team opposed for himself? That's the one thing I'll remember about the Big Hurt...he was selfish. And that's probably why he never won a ring. Kenny made those comments about Frank Thomas for a reason.

QUOTE (DonnyDevito @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 01:27 PM)
Can't Frank Thomas ever be happy? He's been living in $7 million mansions for decades. Can't he ever just STFU for once and do what's best for the team opposed for himself? That's the one thing I'll remember about the Big Hurt...he was selfish. And that's probably why he never won a ring. Kenny made those comments about Frank Thomas for a reason.

Umm...

QUOTE (DonnyDevito @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 12:27 PM)

He has a 2005 WS ring.

he got the ring by default more than anything...he didn't do JACK on the field that year.

And the point of my post was not Frank's minimal production when he was out with injuries in '05. The point was Chicago's GM trashed Frank Thomas for a reason.

Edited by DonnyDevito

Funny, Thomas had a slow start the begining of last season and ended up leading the Jays in HR's and RBI's. This will come back to bite them in the ass.

I don't see how it will. Some teams, like the White Sox, just give spots in the batting order to old veterans who hit .170. Other teams take those players who aren't producing and put players in who can.

QUOTE (DonnyDevito @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 01:30 PM)
he got the ring by default more than anything...he didn't do JACK on the field that year.

He didn't play much, and his ba sucked, but he still produced when he was around. 12 hrs in a little over 100 abs -- not a bad contribution.

QUOTE (DonnyDevito @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 11:30 AM)

And the point of my post was not Frank's minimal production when he was out with injuries in '05. The point was Chicago's GM trashed Frank Thomas for a reason.

He hit 12 homeruns with 26 RBIs in 34 games that year. Thats not too shabby

QUOTE (sox-r-us @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 06:38 PM)
If Frank ever decides to retire, I hope the Sox will sign him to a one day or so contract and let him bat for the Sox for one game so that the fans can give him a final goodbye .... I would love to attend that game if it happened. Guaranteed sell out.

I don't think Frank would do that.