Frank Thomas Released By The Blue Jays/signed by the A's

BlizzardOfOzzie

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 23, 2008 -> 04:41 PM)
The NFL "cuts the cord" on guys due for bonuses all the time and the players don't get guaranteed contract money like they do in MLB.

That's not considered unethical. That's standard NFL practices.

What's the difference here?

Different labor organization with different standards and practices. Based on that, their contracts are structured differently. This $8 mil in a NFL contract would have been more like $4 mil with a $4mil bonus. Or looking over two years, it may have been $8 mil bonus and $5 per year.

But that is basically the difference.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 23, 2008 -> 04:27 PM)
He's reportedly heading back to Oakland.

Per Rotoworld:

A source told Yahoo! Sports' Tim Brown that Frank Thomas is set to sign with the A's.

As long as Mike Sweeney is the one to go, it's the right move. Sweeney is hardly completely hopeless at the plate, but his power is gone, making him well below as a designated hitter. Thomas should step in as the starter there, with Jack Cust playing left field most of the time. Emil Brown would still start versus lefties.

I don't know if it is just a goofy quirk of mine or what; but, I really dislike players that are jersey collectors (i.e. Kenny Lofton).

I especially dislike it when it is a former superstar hoping to hang on for another season or two. I understand they are looking for a paycheck, but, have at least some respect for tradition and legacy. I would hate to see that happen to Frank...despite me firmly believing he has put himself in every bad situation he has ever encountered.

If he goes into Cooperstown wearing only three hats, I would be pleased.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Apr 24, 2008 -> 01:38 PM)
I wonder how Franks feels about getting 2 to 3 games a week with Mike Sweeney as opposed to Matt Stairs?

I'd say Mike Sweeney better get used to sitting down because Thomas is a better hitter and Oakland realizes it.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Apr 23, 2008 -> 03:11 PM)
Note that Paulie has been hitting about as badly as Frank over the past few weeks, yet Ozzie hasn't "indefinitely" benched him for lack of production, even with a much cheaper and ML-ready Josh Fields waiting patiently in AAA.

The question was in reference to wanting the Sox to take the same basic action at the Blue Jays did, when the vast majority feel that Toronto's actions were wrong.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 24, 2008 -> 12:24 PM)
His back probably won't last anyway.

mike will stay on. Geren already has said that

I love that frank is back he belongs in oakland. when Buck comes back raj davis will be gone.