White Sox Clubhouse and Sex Dolls

HuskyCaucasian

QUOTE (shipps @ May 7, 2008 -> 10:30 AM)
LOL.She is a bad example,didnt she go on a rant about 3 months ago about jew bashing or something.

One thing has nothing to do with the other though. She is a female journalist "the victim" and she laughed and doesnt think its a big deal, but men are outraged for her. That doesnt make any sense.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ May 7, 2008 -> 10:41 AM)
One thing has nothing to do with the other though. She is a female journalist "the victim" and she laughed and doesnt think its a big deal, but men are outraged for her. That doesnt make any sense.

Her being a drunken biggot in her spare time has alot to do with me saying she is a bad example.With her character and you using her as an example from the womens perspective is pointless.

QUOTE (shipps @ May 7, 2008 -> 11:50 AM)
Her being a drunken biggot in her spare time has alot to do with me saying she is a bad example.With her character and you using her as an example from the womens perspective is pointless.

Oops, I thought you meant she was ranting AGAINST the bigotry. Lol.

This thread should be mercifully closed.

Why? Because you and Tex are getting blasted with examples that show the Sox players shouldn't be called out and you finally have gotten off your morality high horse? I will give you credit, you're not baiting or creating strawman argument like Tex, but that's nothing new for him.

I'll ask the people who are against this stunt, and they are in the minority, and I want an answer:

Should the White Sox ban Grand Theft Auto IV from their clubhouse?

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ May 7, 2008 -> 06:12 PM)
Why? Because you and Tex are getting blasted with examples that show the Sox players shouldn't be called out and you finally have gotten off your morality high horse? I will give you credit, you're not baiting or creating strawman argument like Tex, but that's nothing new for him.

This thread had finally calmed down, until you had to start baiting other posters. Give it a rest.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ May 7, 2008 -> 06:12 PM)

I'll ask the people who are against this stunt, and they are in the minority, and I want an answer:

Should the White Sox ban Grand Theft Auto IV from their clubhouse?

I was going to stop responding to this thread but since you are calling me out, I'll make one last attempt to put things into perspective for you. The adjectives I used in this thread are as follows: embarrasing, classless, tasteless, vulgar, wrong ... I think that about covers it. Not at any time to did I refer to it being offensive to women or sexist. There was nothing along the lines of reasonable logic that I considered as being "blasted'. There were some stupid, inane remarks made that didn't deserve a response and got none from me. That will continue to be the case. I will not point out the remarks or persons that made them as I don't believe it would serve any purpose other than to degrade Soxtalk. I will however stand by my use of those adjectives listed above.

And, in direct response to your intriguing question ... Because anything that will be said from this point forward with just be a rehashing of what has previously been said. Now sir, if you want to 'blast' me some more ... Take it to IM.

To be fair, I don't consider myself "blasting" you. I was talking about the comments like "any guy who is offended by this should turn in their man card," or "panties being twisted." I think it's quite obvious my comments weren't along those lines. I just get a chuckle on how the minority feel they should dictate what the code of conduct should be in the locker room of a professional baseball team. It's even sillier to compare it to an office place or tie Sox fans themselves to the incidents along with the William Ligue and Eric Dybas incidents.

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ May 7, 2008 -> 06:46 PM)
To be fair, I don't consider myself "blasting" you. I was talking about the comments like "any guy who is offended by this should turn in their man card," or "panties being twisted." I think it's quite obvious my comments weren't along those lines. I just get a chuckle on how the minority feel they should dictate what the code of conduct should be in the locker room of a professional baseball team. It's even sillier to compare it to an office place or tie Sox fans themselves to the incidents along with the William Ligue and Eric Dybas incidents.

Let's just agree to disagree.

I like Morrissey's column. Nice perspective as usual. I liked the Brian Anderson mention at the end.

Well done column.

As far as Mariotti ... wow.

If he didn't rip Ozzie and Reinsdorf and KW so much, this bashing of the Sox would be much talked about.

He was merciless.

But since he rips them all the time, it's just more of the same. But what venom!

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ May 7, 2008 -> 11:28 PM)

I just read that and was going to post it... Hell I will post the text just to make sure everyone reads it. I'd love to hear Slezak, Couch, or Mariotti actually step up and try to defend this.

Paper's pious play XXX-tremely silly

Mike Downey | In the wake of the news

May 8, 2008

• Naked Dancers: Peep Show, $20 for 1/2 Hour"

• X-Treme Body Massages with 'Hotties' "

• Hot, Wild, Fun—Blonde or Brunette?"

— Ads that ran in Wednesday's sports section of the Chicago Sun-Times.

Awwww, isn't it sweet of the Sun-Times to go to bat against Ozzie Guillen's bad language and the sexism of the White Sox?

My friend Elliott Harris' column ran on a Sun-Times sports page Wednesday with photographs of supermodel Gisele Bundchen in a backless dress and a pair of Playboy Playmates with deep cleavage and bunny ears.

Richard Roeper, one of my favorite columnists, concluded his Wednesday column in the Sun-Times with a headline he found on a Web site: " Scarlett Johansson is Engaged, Busty."

"Sometimes the headline really does tell us all we need to know," Roeper wrote.

It sure does, Rich.

That's why I was tickled pink to find a huge headline screaming from Tuesday's front page of the Sun-Times in all caps: "SOX DOLL BLOW UP."

Plus lots of valuable insight inside the Sun-Times over the next two days on why the White Sox need to clean up their act.

As a feminist, I love it that the Sun-Times is setting such a fine example for those bad-boy White Sox to follow.

Gloria Steinem must be the new editor over there. I mean, isn't it great to see the Sun-Times scolding the White Sox this way for offending women?

You know, while the paper runs sex-club ads and sexy photos of non-athletes in the sports section?

I can see why those dirty, dirty White Sox would respect the wishes of the Sun-Times to keep things clean.

After all, imagine the nerve of the Sox, doing something naughty in the privacy of their own dressing room.

Where the public is not allowed.

Where children are forbidden.

Where no one without a pass may see what you are doing in there … as opposed to, say, ads and pictures in a newspaper that any child in any home could pick up.

Gosh, isn't it swell of the Sun-Times to take the Sox to task for having a blow-up doll inside their clubhouse in Toronto, where any easily offended adult journalist from Canada could walk in at any given minute?

"Sensitivity training" was one of the things the White Sox obviously need, according to the Sun-Times, the home of ads like this one in its Tuesday's sports pages:

2 Girls—At Once! Feel the Youth."

Schoolgirlfun.com took out that ad. I guess it must be part of a Sun-Times campaign to support girls doing their homework together for school.

Or:

Tuesdays! 2 for 1!"

That one in the Sun-Times sports section ran with a silhouette image of two women facing one another, one of them standing, one not. I guess it could have been for an aerobics class where you can get two lessons for the price of one.

Bravo to the Bright One for making sure no one out there is offended by sex or dirty talk.

I am sure that the Sox's profane manager, Guillen—a baseball man who cusses, imagine that!—will want to follow the good example set by the Sun-Times for a wholesome family image that won't offend your eyes and ears.

Look, we're no angels. From time to time the Tribune has been known to run a story that offends readers, and writers and editors have no say if ads appear for adult-themed products.

But if you are going to condemn a baseball team and its manager for offending the public's taste, then your own house better be squeaky clean. Particularly if your own very public publication trades in highly provocative material and language, as does the Sun-Times in its articles and ads.

You know, like the paper did in its comprehensive coverage of that big Page 1 story, the White Sox with a blow-up doll.

Remember, what the White Sox did, they did in private, for almost no outsider to see.

But what the Sun-Times wrote appeared in public, for every man, woman and child of greater Chicago to see.

It was the top story in Tuesday's paper, played above that day's Indiana primary election between Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton.

Innocent eyes got to see the Sun-Times' front page that day, including this charming passage in large type: "The Sox placed bats around two blow-up sex dolls with a sign that read 'You've got to push.' "

I suppose no kids look at the Sun-Times, so it's safe.

Jerry Reinsdorf, Kenny Williams and the rest of the White Sox can rest assured the Sun-Times will continue to set a good example of the kind of decency and integrity that should be commonplace in public.

No doubt churches and schools will want to salute the Sun-Times every day for never running a dirty ad or a sexist image of a woman.

After all, the Sun-Times is looking out for women—the hotter the better—every single day.

mikedowney@tribune.com

I promise, my final words :D I was mildly surprised it was still being discussed.

This is the area that the employer has clearly set aside for interviews with the media. The area that has not changed since the players joined the professional ranks (in some cases over ten years ago). That is why the office analogy holds true to me. This is not something new they needed to adjust to. For some players, over 1,000 times after a game a reporter has been in this room waiting to interview them. They know the expectations, and the risks and rewards of their actions.

Each day they are given an opportunity to send a message to their fans via the media, this was the message they chose to send. Obviously it was well received by some, poorly received by others.

The topic has worn itself out. :lol:

Sticking bats up latex dolls butts does not stop a losing streak.

Large problems like fans running onto the field after Disco Demolition or fans running on the field to attack a coach, create the image; small events like this either confirm or contradict that image. This, and the fan reactions, adds a little more confirmation.

This did not enhance the team's image in any way I could be proud of. If they are trying to attract more fans that think latex blowup dolls are cool, it may have worked.

This did not enhance the image of the players in any way I could be proud of. Maybe some people are impressed that adults with kids can still act like college drunks. I'm not.

It is reasonable to expect adult men to conduct themselves at work in a manner that enhances the team's image and maintains a professional image for themselves. It is called being a responsible adult and employee.

This is the thread that doesn't end,

Yes it goes on and on my friend.

Some people started posting it, not knowing what it was,

And they'll continue posting it forever just because —>

This is the thread that doesn't end,

Yes it goes on and on my friend.

Some people started posting it, not knowing what it was,

And they'll continue posting it forever just because —>