Favre to the Jets

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Aug 3, 2008 -> 09:58 AM)
Well apparently, he's coming back as he was just reinstated.

Goodell was quoted last night saying he was going to wait to reinstate him until monday because Green Bay and Favre were still discussing options.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3516300

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Aug 3, 2008 -> 09:58 AM)
Well apparently, he's coming back as he was just reinstated.

Technically, he's not reinstated until tomorrow.

Then the Packers have 24 hours to respond (trade, release or roster him).

So it's still not quite over......and he could still accept the bribe and re-re-retire.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 3, 2008 -> 10:14 AM)
He's been re-instated by Commissioner Goodell.

As of when? Last night after his quote where he said he would wait until monday? Goodell is ridiculous

I think he gets traded. There is going to be so much drama in Green Bay this year if he stays

Edited by kyyle23

My guess if Favre ends up cut right at the end of camp. Doing that would save Green Bay money, and it would also make it difficult for Favre to go somewhere else and start right away. It would make Green Bay look bad doing that, but they already have looked terrible and probably don't care at this point. It seems like they have wanted to manipulate Favre's legacy as only in Green Bay while not letting him play again this season, but it clearly hasn't worked. Then again, Favre deserves blame too for deciding to retire and then changing his mind a short time later, like the drama queen idiot he is. There are no winners here.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 3, 2008 -> 11:38 AM)
My guess if Favre ends up cut right at the end of camp. Doing that would save Green Bay money, and it would also make it difficult for Favre to go somewhere else and start right away. It would make Green Bay look bad doing that, but they already have looked terrible and probably don't care at this point. It seems like they have wanted to manipulate Favre's legacy as only in Green Bay while not letting him play again this season, but it clearly hasn't worked. Then again, Favre deserves blame too for deciding to retire and then changing his mind a short time later, like the drama queen idiot he is. There are no winners here.

I dont really think Green Bay has looked terrible during this. Favre wants to have his cake and eat it too, and he has for the past 3-4 years. Its always the same, people start talking about his possible retirement midway through the season("this very well may be the last game Brett plays vs XXXX team", usually Chris Mortensen or Madden), followed by a bunch of vague one on one interviews with Bretts favorite reporters (Ed Werder, Mortensen, etc) where he hints that he is probably done, followed by a teary eyed finish to some game or another.

Green Bay at some point had to put their foot down and say "enough". And they didnt force his retirement speech a few months ago, that was Brett's call, and he cried like a baby and told everyone he was retiring. Now he is mad that he isnt in the spotlight because he is living in the sticks of mississippi. TOO F***ING BAD BRETT. He signed his retirement papers, now he is totally sabotaging Green Bays attempt to move on after he retired, not because they cut him or released him, he retired. I dont care that Brett wanted Ted Thompson to do this or that and he didnt do it for Brett. Thompson is paid to be the GM, and he has rebuilt that team pretty damn well(as a Bears fan that is hard to admit) after Sherman had it run into the ground.

This whole thing is all about Brett and nobody else, and thats what gets me.

Just heard tonight that the Packers contacted the Vikings and told them to make an offer.

Also, the Packers QB job was referred to as an "open competition", which goes against the earlier comments made by Green Bay's GM.

I'm guessing that's lip service to try to keep Favre's trade value high.

What a goofy-ass soap opera they've written for themselves up there.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 11:14 AM)
The Packers have now hired former White House Press Secretary Ari Fleischer to do damage control. He's the guy who was the press secretary when we launched Bush's war.

It's crazier.

They hired THAT GUY for damage control? That's like using Paul Konerko is a pinch runner.

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 12:28 PM)
We all know the teams interested in Favre, if the Packers want to trade him. But supposing they keep him, who might be interested in Aaron Rodgers? Chiefs? Texans? Jets? (Excluding NFC North teams for obvious reasons.)

I doubt the Texans would be interested with all the money they gave Schaub and its only his 2nd season there

Yeah according to Packer Chatter, Farve left and there is a press conference at 4:30 pm. Just speculation as to what has happened and whats going on.

Personally I think its hilarious and the Packers are going to end up regretting this move. Barring Rodgers coming in and taking the Packers to the playoffs there is going to be constant second guessing and no one will really get over the way that Farve was treated. People retire all the time in sports, they also unretire all the time. I cant imagine Bulls fans not have accepting Jordan back if he had wanted to play for the Bulls, I cant imagine the Bulls telling him that they "moved on" and he is no longer part of the plan.

I think that this is a case of pride and ego getting in the way of making good decisions. Thompson and McCarthy want to show that they were the reason for the Packers doing well last year, not Farve, and as long as Farve is around they will never be able to prove their own merit. I think Farve felt that he was not as beloved by the management as he used to be and that was part of the reason that he retired. I also think that when he started to realize hed never play football again he figured he had a few seasons left and would rather play them out then think about what could have been.

At the end of the day I believe that you dance with the one who brought you, and Farve brought the Packers to where they are. He deserves to play for them until he is no longer the best option and in all of this no one has ever once said that Rodgers would beat out Farve, just that they moved on and no longer wanted him to be the starter.

As a Bears fan I cant help but be pleased because I really feel it will be difficult for Rodgers to succeed under these circumstances.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 02:51 PM)
I'd take him in a heartbeat and install him ahead of Grossman and Orton immediately.

Yeah, I don't know why most of you Bears fans don't feel this way. He'd be waaaay better than Grossman or Orton. Good thing my Cowboys don't have to deal with such.

psst, Get your popcorn ready!

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 03:07 PM)
Yeah, I don't know why most of you Bears fans don't feel this way. He'd be waaaay better than Grossman or Orton. Good thing my Cowboys don't have to deal with such.

psst, Get your popcorn ready!

I cant believe any people dont feel that way. Even at this age he's twice the QB either of those guys are. He routinely took pasted together receiver corps and made them good.