The Dark Knight

knightni

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 21, 2008 -> 09:42 AM)
I'm going to have to stand up for the minority here, and say that I much prefer Maggie Gylenhall to Katie Holmes. She's a better actress, and in case it matters, better looking, IMO.

She looks like she could be Blago's daughter.I too would have agreed with you before this movie but she looked very unattractive in this one.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 19, 2008 -> 09:47 PM)

I missed the shard of glass. I just assumed for no good reason that it was a knife. As far as turdboy thinking he could beat the s*** out of Joker, well, I credit that to Jokers ability to get into peoples head. Though only putting 1 guard on him in the 1st place is pretty dumb.

I thought it was the knife blade from his shoe--He was wearing his original shoes and I figured that the cops just didn't check them for blades.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 21, 2008 -> 09:42 AM)
I'm going to have to stand up for the minority here, and say that I much prefer Maggie Gylenhall to Katie Holmes. She's a better actress, and in case it matters, better looking, IMO.

I agree totally. Katie Holmes was just laughably bad in the first one.

When Rachel got blown up, a friend and I turned to each other and said, at the exact same time, why couldn't they have blown Katie Holmes up?

The only big problem for me was some dumb person brought her 12 month old to the movie who cried the WHOLE TIME. Someone finally got an usher (after the woman started screaming when people in the theater tried to hush her and the baby). So, in the middle of the party scream this woman stands up and starts screaming (again) how she paid for the f'ing seat and she wasn't going to mf'ing leave and blah, blah, blah. The only time people clapped during/after the movie was when she finally left the theater.

Also, the movie made me pretty homesick.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 20, 2008 -> 10:58 PM)
I hope what batman learns is to not fall into the trap in, while trying to top the previous movies, they add too many villains. I know the thinking behind it, but the story becomes to convoluted and moves too slow.

Nolan has thrown two villains at Batman in each of the first two movies(Ras Al Ghul + Scarecrow, Joker + Two Face), and he is pretty good at keeping one villain at the forefront while the other villain is in the background. I think one thing I have learned from watching Chris Nolan as a director is that he has an amazing sense of perspective in regards to how characters play off each other and make each other react.

QUOTE (Soxy @ Jul 21, 2008 -> 09:14 AM)
The only big problem for me was some dumb person brought her 12 month old to the movie who cried the WHOLE TIME. Someone finally got an usher (after the woman started screaming when people in the theater tried to hush her and the baby). So, in the middle of the party scream this woman stands up and starts screaming (again) how she paid for the f'ing seat and she wasn't going to mf'ing leave and blah, blah, blah. The only time people clapped during/after the movie was when she finally left the theater.

Ugh, I hate that crap. Many times before I've said that I would love to see some of these multiplex theatres have some screens, particularly of R and PG-13 movies, be 18 and older ONLY. I would even be willing to pay an extra buck or two for it.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 19, 2008 -> 06:32 PM)

How could you miss the development of Dent's character into the evil side? When he was interrogating the Joker's fake cop who helped "kill" Gordon, he was showing the evil side of him, so to speak. Thats when Batman came and told him you can't put chance as a decision for everything. Then, after Dent finds out that Rachel is dead, the feelings of revenge overcome him. Also, don't forget the little pep-talk Joker had with him in the hospital. If anything, I'd say the development of Dent into the evil Two Face was VERY apparent, it just might have been overshadowed a bit, or more so, going on in the background, as Joker was creating chaos in Gotham.

In terms of the interrogation, he didn't really show the evil side of him. Yes he threatened to kill him but it was simply an interrogating technique. He never would have killed him and chance didn't play into it. At that time we didn't know that both sides of the coin were heads but Right after that scene, they show Dent flip the coin to Rachel who notices that both sides of the coin are the same and he mentions how you make your own luck.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 20, 2008 -> 02:38 PM)
Saw it again today with some friends.

Something I didn't notice until today stood out, and IMO, confirms my theory a bit more. When Two face is thrown down, and Batman goes after him and the boy, Dent's coin is dropped, and it lands on the clean heads side. They zoom in on the coin and everything. I missed it the first time due to all the commotion going on, but I really focused on that scene based on what I have previously said. To me, thats another "hint" that he ultimately lives.

I think he lives.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Jul 19, 2008 -> 12:10 AM)
love the pencil trick...

That pencil trick was great.

I went late last night...and all shows were sold out. LEaving the theatre at 10:15, the hallways was packed with people waiting for the next show.

And obviously the joker was going to be a reoccuring character, but I think that will have to change now. LEdger was great.

Very surpised by all the hate Maggie Gylenhall is getting here for her performance of Rachel Dawes. Acting wise, I thought she ran circles around Katie Holmes in "Begins" and as long as Maggie doesn't have the crooked awful looking smile that Holmes loves to flaunt, I don't see how you could think of this as a downgrade. I thouhgt she did a very admirable job, and judging by most of the reviews, I'd say most tend to agree. I havent seen more Maggie Gylenhall bashing anywhere more but here??

QUOTE (watchtower41 @ Jul 21, 2008 -> 01:54 PM)
Very surpised by all the hate Maggie Gylenhall is getting here for her performance of Rachel Dawes. Acting wise, I thought she ran circles around Katie Holmes in "Begins" and as long as Maggie doesn't have the crooked awful looking smile that Holmes loves to flaunt, I don't see how you could think of this as a downgrade. I thouhgt she did a very admirable job, and judging by most of the reviews, I'd say most tend to agree. I havent seen more Maggie Gylenhall bashing anywhere more but here??

You'll note that most of the bashing has nothing to do with acting. Some folks are more focused on the "looks" aspect. I personally don't care that much, as I didn't go to this movie to watch hot chicks. But to each their own.

QUOTE (watchtower41 @ Jul 21, 2008 -> 02:54 PM)

Most of the bashing is that she's ugly. I haven't seen the movie yet but imo she's pretty disgusting looking.

QUOTE (watchtower41 @ Jul 21, 2008 -> 02:54 PM)

Her acting was very good, her face on the other hand . . .

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 21, 2008 -> 02:56 PM)
Most of the bashing is that she's ugly. I haven't seen the movie yet but imo she's pretty disgusting looking.

She's supposed to be the love interest of Aaron Eckhart and Christian f***ing Bale (Billionaire, Ballet enthusiast, Batman) she must have one HELL of a personality.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 21, 2008 -> 02:59 PM)
She's supposed to be the love interest of Aaron Eckhart and Christian f***ing Bale (Billionaire, Ballet enthusiast, Batman) she must have one HELL of a personality.

Wasn't she supposedly like his only friend through his childhood? I'm sure that'd make you overlook some things.

Personally I don't find her to be the hottest thing in the world, but she's certainly not ugly. And I thought she did a pretty good job. So much better than Holmes.

I'm also very surprised with all the Maggie hate. I mean she is no Angelina Jolie sure but she is a much better actress than Holmes and at least imo better looking. She's kinda got the girl next door thing going on.

As for the movie itself. It's a little ridiculous that imdb users have it as the #1 movie of all time. And by a little I mean a whole hell of a lot. It was the best superhero movie of all time imo but come on people lets not get carried away.

Doubtful that they'll be able to make another one as good as this one especially now without the Joker or perhaps another actor portraying the Joker. Anyone heard from Nolan whether that would even be an option and if so anyone have any ideas who may be a good replacement?

QUOTE (The Bones @ Jul 21, 2008 -> 11:04 PM)
As for the movie itself. It's a little ridiculous that imdb users have it as the #1 movie of all time. And by a little I mean a whole hell of a lot. It was the best superhero movie of all time imo but come on people lets not get carried away.

I don't think anyone is getting carried away. People are entitled to their opinions.

QUOTE (The Bones @ Jul 21, 2008 -> 09:04 PM)
I'm also very surprised with all the Maggie hate. I mean she is no Angelina Jolie sure but she is a much better actress than Holmes and at least imo better looking. She's kinda got the girl next door thing going on.

Doubtful that they'll be able to make another one as good as this one especially now without the Joker or perhaps another actor portraying the Joker. Anyone heard from Nolan whether that would even be an option and if so anyone have any ideas who may be a good replacement?

I dont think that subject will be truly discussed for quite some time. There will be plenty of rumors and internet talk, but I seriously doubt Nolan will discuss another movie for quite some time. And when he does, he is gonna be talking some serious $$$$.

I dont know that the Joker will make another appearance in the Christopher Nolan Batman universe. He may be discussed, may have some sort of cameo or reference, but i sincerely doubt that Nolan will write him into another script. And that is fine by me, there are so many villains that Batman has, and many of them have some really great back stories that can be tweaked and introduced. Although it is still quite a shame that we wont be able to see Ledger reprise his role.

To me it is a no-brainer that there will be a third movie by Nolan, it isnt an if, just a when. He cannot leave Batman as a outcast in Gotham at this point, he has to finish the series as a hero.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 22, 2008 -> 01:03 AM)
I finally saw this today.

Subtract Ledger and you have an average to possibly a boring film. I understand that every film has an actor who carries it, but is there anyone else in this film who you'd say was above average in their role?

That makes no sense what so ever. Of course it would be boring...the movie was about him. Oldman, Eckhart, and Freeman were all great in this movie as well. And Christian Bale is the best Batman/Bruce Wayne of all.