Mea Culpas for ALL!

southsider2k5

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 11:36 AM)
No more game threads for me next year.

Hmmmm, I dont remember it being about gamethreads as much as complete posting priveledges......

Maybe it might save your blood pressure if Gavin is successful ;)

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 10:38 AM)
Hmmmm, I dont remember it being about gamethreads as much as complete posting priveledges......

Maybe it might save your blood pressure if Gavin is successful ;)

That's how I remember it ;) It may take more than a post here to cleanse that. This was locker room bulletin board material. Epic actually. I'd be thinking of a much bigger mea culpa. :ph34r:

QUOTE (Texsox @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 04:41 PM)
That's how I remember it ;) It may take more than a post here to cleanse that. This was locker room bulletin board material. Epic actually. I'd be thinking of a much bigger mea culpa. :ph34r:

Oh, it's coming, just no reason to jinx Gavin with time left in the season.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 05:44 PM)
:cheers we'll see :lol: That was a bold prediction, I'll give that to you.

The funny thing is that I had absolutely no recollection of making that until it was bumped. I've probably made others in the past like that, and they just got lost in the shuffle. Good thing I never promised to give my middle nut if something did or didn't happen.

I wasn't confident on Danks' at all coming into this season, after how teams saw him more than once last season really beat up on him and he faltered down the stretch. Boy has he proven me wrong or what.

Also I thought Swish would have a little more pop, but hopefully he'll still end up with around 25HR's and an OPS around the .800 mark, pretty good for a major league CF.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 05:45 PM)
Basically the rotation. I didn't think this team could survive with Floyd-Danks-Contreras.

I also really wanted Alexei to start in AAA to get his feet wet.

I will say however I was looking back at the "Sox trade for Carlos Quentin" thread last night, and forgot I got on my high horse and made 5 or 6 posts about how trading Konerko would be the smartest thing this franchise could do. Guess I was right there.

Isn't it amazing how upset we were seeing Alexei in the lineup over the first 40 games or so?

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 11:46 AM)
The funny thing is that I had absolutely no recollection of making that until it was bumped. I've probably made others in the past like that, and they just got lost in the shuffle. Good thing I never promised to give my middle nut if something did or didn't happen.

I never make a bet against something I'd like to see happen.

Oh another thing I was wrong with. I actually thought Uribe would have a decent year, comparable to 2004.

My lineup was: Owens, Cabrera, Thome, Konerko, Dye, Swisher, Pierzynski, Crede, Uribe.

Needless to say that lineup is pretty far off even though Uribe is now the 9 hitter with Crede out.

QUOTE (letsgoarow @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 03:22 PM)
i thought swisher would be a 35 hr guy

Swisher and Konerko for me. I thought they would be in the 30 plus HR's and approaching 80-100 RBI's this season

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 10:33 AM)
I thought you were an eternal optimist.

I was until late 2006. Suffering through the 18 months prior to the start of 2008 tempered my White Sox optimism quite a bit, although I still don't like knee-jerk reactions to single games and often try to steer people off of a ledge.

To me, this is all gravy. I had this team not contending for 2-3 years and as it turns out, they are probably one great pitching acquisition away from being a strong contender for the WS next year.

Sure, they could win the division and get hot this year in the postseason, but that seems very unlikely.

One thing this team definitely needs to address this offseason are the clusterf*** of dh's we have. Someone needs to go.

I had thought that Swisher would be tons better than he is now. I had envisioned .265 - .275 average with about 30 homeruns. Don't see that happening. Otherwise my optimism runs high. Oh, and I thought Thome would pull to the right even more, however he has suprised me very much with his center and opposite field hitting this year. My bad. Although I for some reason envisioned him actually bunting down third one time this year, although I think I was drunk when that thought came by.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 02:28 PM)
I was wrong about Vazquez....I thought he was going to dominate and turns out he is Jon Garland revisted.

Except Jon Garland actually pitched well in a season that we were competitive. He was also a huge factor in the White Sox winning the World Series, whereas Vazquez cannot take the slightest amount of pressure.

I thought we paid way too much for Linebrink after he really struggled down the stretch for the Brewers last year. I thought Floyd would post an ERA around 5 for the Sox. And I thought Contreras was probably done after last season. I thought Quentin would be good and thought he should get the starting job but obviously I didn't expect him to be an MVP candidate. I thought our offense would be a little stronger but Swisher and Konerko have both had down years which has hurt the offense tremendously. Crede performed a little better than I expected when he was healthy but I was unfortunately right that I didn't think he could stay healthy for an entire season.

I recall saying (not sure if it was on this board) that if Javy could build on 2007 with this improved offense that he had a good chance at a Cy Young. Granted, I didn't actually make a prediction, but the simple fact that I used the words "Vazquez" and "Cy Young" in the same sentence that wasn't something like "Javier Vazquez will not win a Cy Young" makes that statement look dumb. I did think we were set with Javy as the #2 though. Instead Javy has pissed us off all year.

Like many, I didn't think Alexei Ramirez would be worth much this year and belonged in AAA, I felt he would be this good, but never this soon.

I never lost confidence in Danks. I wasn't really that pessimistic about giving Floyd a shot, either. But I thought at least one of them would bomb early.

I thought Swisher would bat 20-30 points higher. Maybe he still will. If he can, and his OBP still stays in the upper 300s and his OPS is comfortably in the 800s, I will still consider it a good acquisition.

Basically, I thought this whole year would be a transition year in which we were better than the disaster of last year, maybe a couple games over .500, but nowhere near competitive, least of all into August.