9/9: White Sox vs Blue Jays, DH G1: 1:05, CSN

Kalapse

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 03:46 PM)
And Swisher has a track record of being a good MLB hitter over the last 2 years which Fukudome does not

He's a career .246 hitter. He has a track record of drawing walks and hitting for power, but he has no such record of being a good "hitter".

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 02:46 PM)
I was eating lunch but I got back into the thread just to see the reactions to AJ's bunt . Priceless. Crap I can't beleive they turned that DP on a slow roller. Did Thome walk to 1st ?

Pretty much, there is NO way they should have been able to turn that.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 02:47 PM)
He's a career .246 hitter. He has a track record of drawing walks and hitting for power, but he has no such record of being a good "hitter".

Isnt have a .800+ OPS over your career clasify you as being a good hitter. Walking is just as much of a skill as flaring a broken bat single.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 03:46 PM)
AJ is f***ing terrible #2 hitter. Why the f*** does ozzie still have him in that spot?

Magic 8 ball.

Remember in 05 he had Everett just doing nothing in the 3 hole up until a few weeks before the playoffs, then he made the change. I dont think he will make the change right now. Ramirez up top would be nice right now.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 02:47 PM)

huh? Hitting isn't all about your batting average, it's about how many times you do not make outs and then when you don't make outs what you do with those hits. It's why OBP and SLG are more important to me than avg.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 03:50 PM)
huh? Hitting isn't all about your batting average, it's about how many times you do not make outs and then when you don't make outs what you do with those hits. It's why OBP and SLG are more important to me than avg.

This is correct.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 03:48 PM)
Isnt have a .800+ OPS over your career clasify you as being a good hitter. Walking is just as much of a skill as flaring a broken bat single.

An .814 career OPS makes you a productive offensive player. But there is a big difference between a good hitter and a productive offensive player. Adam Dunn is a very productive offensive player, but he's a mediocre hitter, and on the other side, Juan Pierre is a very good hitter, but not a productive offense player between the lack of power and all the caught stealings.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 02:49 PM)
Magic 8 ball.

Remember in 05 he had Everett just doing nothing in the 3 hole up until a few weeks before the playoffs, then he made the change. I dont think he will make the change right now. Ramirez up top would be nice right now.

That team didnt have a ton of options in that spot, but that does seem to be on the same plane. I mean, AJ completely sucks in the 2-hole, he is a much better hitter down the order for this team.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 02:51 PM)
An .814 career OPS makes you a productive offensive player. But there is a big difference between a good hitter and a productive offensive player. Adam Dunn is a very productive offensive player, but he's a mediocre hitter, and on the other side, Juan Pierre is a very good hitter, but not a productive offense player between the lack of power and all the caught stealings.

OK, with those definitions I will agree with you, but I would take Adam Dunn over Juan Pierre everyday of the week and twice on Sunday